Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Glorious Companions - TB RPG where you lead a mercenary company - now available on Early Access

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
BEHOLD

I've spent 20 hours over the weekend recording and cutting this mf, let me know what you think

"Welcome to the city of Lurg" is wrong.

Proper English grammar is "Welcome to the City of Lurg"

Nice trailer!

Tigranes

Arcane
Cool stuff, I'm provisionally interested too. I already want to tell you to have options for 8x animation speed and stuff like that, but that's all in good time. What I want is a real sense of scarcity and attrition, above all.

Jinn

Arcane
Wish-listed. Looks like it could be a lot of fun.

vazha

Arcane
I dont appreciate visual aesthetics of this, to be honest. Looks too animu. Also the dev announced it was 3D like it were a good thing. Isometric & nice art is the way to go.
Also the world & setting seems kinda faceless and bland.

Jinn

Arcane
I agree that things could definitely improve stylistically, particularly UI elements and character model style. I'm assuming a lot of the UI is place-holder stuff, but the character model art is somewhat generic in its current form.

Tigranes

Arcane
The graphics look bad, but not so bad they'll force me away from the game. If the gameplay is solid I can live with it, especially if the visuals are clear and the UI responses are crisp.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Welcome to our newest video devlog in which we showcase the biggest changes since the last version we've shown. Remember to mark your calendars as tomorrow (June 4th) we're releasing the Early Access version of Glorious Companions!

jf8350143

Liturgist
So will there be a character customization system like in Xcom? I always find that's one of the most appealing system in this kind of game.

ANtY

Ancient Forge Studio
Developer
RYci6Bc.png

We've just released a pretty big update with lots of cool stuff added, more info in the following post:
https://steamcommunity.com/games/1001040/announcements/detail/1594752134014484387

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I like your Steam username.

The Captain Update is here!
17 JUN @ 7:14PM - U WOT M8

Hello there, Companions!

cfa8eeb7011b7e7ffca07bd202307fb41b373d80.png

We’re back with the first content update for Glorious Companions - the Captain Update. We’ve mostly focused on strengthening the game’s core mechanic and the main goal of the battle, which is to kill the enemy team’s captain before yours dies.

IMPORTANT: Save files from the previous version won’t work on the newest update. Unfortunately you’ll have to start a new playthrough, although the changes we’ve made would impact the game’s beginning and its balance so it’d be wise to start with a new company anyhow.

Captain’s Calls
We’ve always wanted the captains to feel like something more than just ordinary soldiers, and thus each captain will now possess a special ability that’ll improve their survivability (as long as your allies are still alive) as well as provide an active skill enabling some clutch plays. Keep in mind though that using your Captain’s Call’s active part will make you vulnerable afterwards, as the passive part won’t work while the ability is on cooldown.

FeistyIgnorantLhasaapso.gif

New neutral enemies
At last you won’t have to decide between only fighting bandits or wolves, as we’ve added a bunch of new neutral opponents for you to challenge and, most importantly, have some easier targets to chase in the early game. We’ve also changed the Wolf model so say goodbye to the good ol’ low-poly one.
In the future updates you can expect the neutral parties to gain their own cool Captain Calls to differentiate them even more.

36a353f2a46388b0253b41b390ec4597e87323f1.png

Firearms
We’ve added the first batch of firearms, weapons mainly utilized by the Valrenay men and women, although their technology has already spread throughout the continent and a sight of a Scarre Raider with a musket in his hand isn’t exactly that shocking to the common folk. In the future the Valrenay units will gain even more abilities that can utilize these weapons to their fullest potential, but you can already give it a try in a regular battle.

0a78d263d240424b010489099cd1b81d022f9ffb.png

Company Overview panel
Based on the feedback we’ve received from the community we decided to add a new panel window where you’ll be able to find grouped information on all your units, how much do you have to pay them and how much food they eat. It’ll also come in handy when you can’t recall in which city you’ve left one of your companions to train a new ability.

05bfa13a16c86aa7ebdeffadb3f95041232eda8d.png

Food System & Companion Happiness
The food system is finally here and you may now stress about your companions starving to death (or more likely leaving the company as it’ll get them quite unhappy). Coupled with this change we’ve also added Happiness meters to your companions so you can closely monitor their mood.

Extremely content companions will gain additional EXP boosts while the unhappy companions will suffer adequate penalties.

Hair options for the Player Characters
The character customization got a little more interesting with the addition of different hair options for the player characters. As mentioned on launch, the customization system is something that we’ll keep expanding on incrementally as we progress with the Early Access.
__

If you notice anything report-worthy please let us know about the issue in the Bug Reports forums board.

Content:
  • Added a new type of abilities available only for the Captain units, the so called Captain Calls:
  • Last Stand - Engineer / Wise,
  • Berserk Rush - Mercenary / Wise,
  • Covering Fire - Gunner / Tough.

• Added new neutral enemies:
  • Bears and Bear Cubs,
  • Stags and Does,
  • Foxes,
  • Boars,
  • New Wolf models.

• Implemented the first few firearm weapons.
  • Implemented a Company Overview window panel.
  • Implemented the Food System.
  • Implemented Companion Happiness.
  • Added different hair options for Valrenay Player Characters.

Bug fixes:
  • Fixed a bug connected to having only captain in your company and the weekly upkeep window showing up.
  • Fixed the notification panel on the world map.
  • Fixed a bug where you could take back a companion after training even when you didn’t have space in your company.
  • Fixed Engineer’s shield socket position.

QoL improvements and tweaks:
  • Added keyboard shortcuts for controlling the game’s speed on the world map (1, 2 and 3)
  • Added an option to delete save files directly in game.
  • Added a popup window when a companion leaves your party.
  • Tweaked captain generation for the NPC parties.
  • We’re now displaying special status effects under the units’ HP bars.
  • Added a popup window after a companion died in battle.
  • Animals can no longer parry melee attacks. So can’t your fists.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
This game has had a few more updates:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1001040/announcements/detail/1593633208482505432

Multiplayer Update Released & 33% Weeklong Deal!
2 SEP @ 8:04PM - U WOT M8

Hello there, Companions!

9896dda4f3f90122e69f88c26e93c0e5c05e8df6.png

This time we’ve prepared something for you that we actually thought will take us a few more months to roll out - online multiplayer! Coupled with it, we have also implemented the Battlecrew Builder and the Custom Battle mode where you’ll be able to play out various scenarios against AI, another local player (in a hot-seat mode) or via the online multiplayer.

Along with our grand update, we’ve got a brand new trailer video and a new Steam banner art. Let us know what you think of them!

Thanks to the new game mode and the battlecrew management options, we’ll also be able to focus more on the game’s balance and we’ll gladly welcome any suggestions on this from the community.

Bear in mind that it’s merely the first iteration of the online functionality, so there might be some issues and lacking features here and there. We’d love to hear your feedback on how the multiplayer mode works, along with reports of any bugs or odd situations you’ve encountered during your playthroughs.You can either post those on the Steam forums or on our Discord server[discord.gg].

So, without further ado, let’s get to the changes in the game’s newest version.

Battlecrew Builder - experiment with various combinations freely

cdfa53f03f1753eb16019a980d2d1bb962bcde13.png

You’ll be able to prepare pre-set battle groups of custom units for various Custom Battle tiers. Each unit will have a pool of Learning Points (as if it were level 10) to spend on attribute upgrades and unlocking special abilities. All the skill upgrades, equipment elements and learned abilities add up to a total Battlepoints cost of the unit along with its base cost depending on the archetype tier (Baron is worth more points than a mere Trapper).

With your battlecrew setups you’ll have to fit into a chosen battle tier criteria. Those go as follows (they might be changed based on playtests though):
  • Quick Skirmish (400 Bpts max)
  • Medium Encounter ( 800 Bpts max)
  • Clash of Commanders (1200 Bpts max)

In the future we’ll add an option to import battlecrews from your Campaign mode save files.

Custom Battle mode - play vs AI, in old-school Hot-Seat or in the Online Multiplayer

c3f5e85610955489b621286a5e89f9b1d6c020ab.png

Custom Battles will feature the option to play versus the AI, a hot-seated opponent as well as your friend in an Online Multiplayer match through Steam. When creating a Custom Battle match you’ll be able to pick a time per turn limit, battle tier, map as well as map seed.

Procedurally generated battlefields

fb76e6b1496fa21a9460c54b0a5b7d27360acf7c.png

We’re also working on a solution that should make the maps feel less same’y! We’ve created a tool that allows us to design a number of different obstacle layouts (so that they make sense tactics wise) and bundled it together with a new vegetation system that should a) improve rendering performance in battles b) randomize all the vegetation and background objects based on the seed value. In the future we’ll experiment with modifying the terrain mesh as well and make the battlefields resemble the part of the world map where the battle actually takes place.

Diplomacy Panel

fb955679eb2a80c408224bf35143c80b8c53f94c.png

We didn’t quite forgot about the main game mode, which is the campaign. From now on you’ll be able to follow your character’s relationship network with all the nobility, settlements, houses and factions via a handy panel. Keep in mind though that we haven’t focused on this aspect of the game yet as we’re waiting for the World Map 2.0 to put more work into it. So don’t get too worried if the relationship system doesn’t seem to have enough depth yet.

New Special Abilities for the Baron*
Took us more time than we expected to get to this, but we’re finally adding more special abilities for the Valrenay troops with even more coming in the next weeks.

__

If you notice anything report-worthy please let us know about the issue by posting on the Bug Reports forum board.

Content:
  • Custom Battle mode with local and online multiplayer
  • Battlecrew Builder
  • Procedural generation for the battlefields
  • Diplomacy Panel
  • A few special abilities for the Baron:*
  • Way Out
  • Farewell
  • Rain of Bullets
  • Knockback
  • Pierce Through

__

What’s ahead
We’re getting closer and closer to finishing the Scarres race, currently working on their armor sets. Though we’ll most likely wait with their release until we have their special resource and abilities ready to roll out as a fully playable race.

2d3b43928125e30d4819327a5fe48e69718d1fc2.jpg

*- special abilities for Baron will be added in the next couple days.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
All well and good but did you see the model for the male captain? :lol:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Halloween & Camping Update (0.37)

Hello there, Companions!

41ebed29f5661ab05de334ee0075bd703c7cfa00.jpg

Today we’re releasing a Halloween themed update that also introduces a big, new gameplay mechanics into the game, the Camping system, along with a bunch of new content and fixes.
To celebrate this, the game is now 25% off! Make sure to tell your friends and family!

If you encounter any bugs with new systems, please report them on our Forums or on our official Discord Server. Keep in mind that you’ll probably have to wait until the next in-game week to access new quests, items, etc if you’re using an old save file.

Camping

7884798bd2db4387fad896496375830966eba46c.jpg

Each company on the world map will now feature their own energy meter (condition), which is used when moving across the continent and when engaging in combat. If the energy drops down to zero, the party is forced to camp. For that reason, wise commanders should plan their camps ahead of time to avoid getting trapped in enemy territory.

Camping will open up new gameplay options for you to choose from. Now you’ll be able to delegate your people to hunt for food, heal the wounded companions or cook a tasty meal to boost the company’s morale. Each of your units will be more predisposed towards different responsibilities at the camp. For example agile units will yield better results when hunting, while strong companions will serve you better building fortifications.

For now two Camping activities are still locked for future development - Crafting & Watching Prisoners.

Graphics Settings & Rebindable Controls

01e828c018cf84b1a022e5862d0396534ad7dd99.png

Yes, they’re finally in the game. You’ve waited long enough for them.

New and revised quests

e95eb788468ede63e0e54576acbcb3e15b567368.png

We’ve sat down to fix some of the old quests and add new ones. There are a total of 12 new quests, including two special ones that will grant you new Halloween-themed items: the Eternal Punishment and Eternal Vengeance. To get them you’ll need to raid the Spider Nests scattered across the island. We’ve raised their spawn rate quite a bit to celebrate Halloween, so make sure to take advantage of it while it lasts.

Halloween stuff

a32c0c31997097006f73798db9cd529166d2dd07.jpg

While we’re on the topic of new quests, during the Halloween event you’ll have a unique chance to obtain limited items - the legendary Eternal Punishment sword and the Eternal Vengeance axe.

Just raid some Spiders Nests, collect the Spider Eggs and cash them in for an epic reward! Beware though, the new Spider enemies will have a few special abilities up their hairy sleeves, so you’d better not let them surprise you.

The battle locations also received a time-limited Halloween-themed decor, make sure the check them out while they’re available.

New Shields

72c17484b2a323f2193bcbb69a3b069b7bef4156.jpg

The shield models have been changed and there are quite a few new shields to choose from. We’ve split the Ranged Defense and the Melee Defense into two different stats so there’s more to play around tactics-wise.

Smaller changes and tweaks

In this update we have also addressed some of the concerns raised by the community: food amount problems, merchant money issues, the ability to discard items and the Berserk Rush bug to name a few.

Here’s the full changelog

Temporary:
  • Main Menu got a little spooky to celebrate Halloween.
  • Added a number of special Halloween decorations on the battle locations.
  • Increased the number of Spider Nests on the world map.

Content:
  • Implemented Camping System and Camp Battles.
  • Added a controls rebind screen in settings.
  • Added a graphics settings screen.
  • Added a new interactive object on the world map: Spider Nest.
  • Implemented a new penalty for failing the attribute check in interactive objects that results in a battle.
  • Added 2 new legendary weapons with On Hit effects.
  • Added 2 new enemies: Spider Queen and Spider with a unique Captain Call “Call Of The Nest”.
  • Added 12 new quests and changed some of the old ones.
  • Added 5 new types of shields.
  • Changed Moon Shield to Griffin Shield.
  • Changed the Hunger mechanic: you can find it displayed for each unit in the Unit Panel and the Overview Panel.
  • Implemented pathfinding on the world map: companies will now avoid traversing through the water, etc.
  • Added an Item Context Menu in the Unit Panel. It’s accessible under RMB and the Quick Action (equip/unequip) is now under the MMB.
  • Added a Discard option for items.
  • Added a new Bandits type - Shadows. They’re more powerful and wield more expensive equipment.
  • Regular Bandits got nerfed and will now wield barely any armor and only cheap weapons.
  • Redesigned the melee control zone mechanic in battles. Units won’t be able to pass through a defense line without getting a few hits in return anymore. This should make it more feasible to protect your Captain, enhancing the positioning aspect of the game.
  • Added 6 new food items.

Balance:
  • Abandoned Camp will now trigger a battle with bandits on attribute check fail, instead of inflicting a permanent negative trait.
  • Sped up company movement on the world map.
  • City merchants will now have a guaranteed minimum number of food items in store.
  • Increased the capacity of Food items.
  • Bandits will now travel with some materials and food in their party stashes.
  • Increased food drop rate from Animals.
  • Split Shield defense bonus into Ranged and Melee.
  • Increased the number of Bandits on the world map compared to Animal neutrals. (Say goodbye to Hunter Simulator :D)

Bug fixes:
  • Fixed a bug with Captain Calls not always working.
  • Fixed starting wolves not dropping any loot.
  • Added quite a few improvements for the enemy AI.

QoL improvements and tweaks:
  • Merchant gold now refreshes every week.
  • All tooltips react quicker now.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
ANtY I have a couple of questions more , if you don't mind:

• Will the world be "simulated" at all or will it be a static entity? If it will be, just how far do you plan to go with that? Simulated economy, factions etc - these would all be very cool
  • Will there be an end goal or will the game be completely sandbox? I think that is something that was missing in BB for example. It's nice to have an end goal, like in X-COM for example where you want to defeat the aliens. Maybe you could set your own on the start of the game?

ANtY

Ancient Forge Studio
Developer
ANtY I have a couple of questions more , if you don't mind:

• Will the world be "simulated" at all or will it be a static entity? If it will be, just how far do you plan to go with that? Simulated economy, factions etc - these would all be very cool
  • Will there be an end goal or will the game be completely sandbox? I think that is something that was missing in BB for example. It's nice to have an end goal, like in X-COM for example where you want to defeat the aliens. Maybe you could set your own on the start of the game?

As for the first question the plan is to have most of the geopolitical / economic situation simulated. Lords should be switching factions, making deals, revolting, splitting into new factions or houses. It'll all be also based on the natural resources access in the given regions of the world. How far will we go with it is kinda dependent on if the game picks up at some point. ATM there just doesn't seem to be enough interest or a community to justify extending the project too much. Though we'd love to do that and more if it were feasible.

Setting your own goal at the beginning of the game sounds like a great idea for GC. There'll be this Ancient Defenders Awakening happening in the late game so that'll also definitely play a part.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Setting your own goal at the beginning of the game sounds like a great idea for GC. There'll be this Ancient Defenders Awakening happening in the late game so that'll also definitely play a part.
I personally think that it's a great idea. When you start your company and create your character you set his "goal", something like "become the richest company in the world" or "defeat the dragon X" or "explore all dungeons"... you get my point.
Then when you reach that you could even get a score and have a leaderboard etc. You can (and maybe should) allow the player to keep playing after that of course.
But I do think that having something to work towards improves gameplay

ANtY

Ancient Forge Studio
Developer
Yeah, I agree that it should definitely play past that point, maybe even select a new goal. Maybe have a few 'goal branches' where you can select a new one from a set of 2-3 ones based on your recently accomplished goal.
That would keep the sandbox nature/vibe of the game and also direct players and give them an overarching goal. I like the idea a lot!

ANtY

Ancient Forge Studio
Developer
Have you changed the male captain model yet?

vLHKIiL.png

The situation will improve much with the release of the second playable race - the Scarres. We will also let people choose the Trapper guy for a captain character. Give us time till the winter sale.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom