Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

God of War reboot - now on PC

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
It's just like, so impressive man, it's all in one shot..like Birdman.

Even though that isn't an impressive feat in a video game or anything what's computer generated.

Although it was funny to see game journos so eager to suck off this game for that "feat" that none of them seemed to notice God of War breaks its gimmick every time you go into your skills or whatever. It's like the developers either came up with that before thinking of really running with the "one shot" gimmick, or they just couldn't think of a way to work that in even though they did work the shop screens into the "single take."
It's kinda cool.
Thing is that the Dead Space games already did it and they did it better.
b9cu00ywy4s01.jpg

Sony Santa Monica should APOLOGIZE and give their awards and money and fame to Glen Schofield or whoever the UI designer was.

I was surprised they didn't just nick that or Skyrim's "looking up into the heavens" thing to keep their gimmick going.

Was always surprised BioWare never took that for their Mass Effect games either, that EA never had Visceral Games do some Mass Effect thing, or that they never had them assist them with that series. Dead Space was like the year after EA bought up BioWare, and Viscsral was miles ahead of BioWare.

Machocruz

Arcane
Dead Space was on my short list of actually good popamole that generation. Beat it 3 times and could still go for another round.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
That's because Dead Space 1+2 are pretty much a western version of RE4

Just started this. Maybe I'm impatient, but fuck these slow boring emo unskippable cutscenes. Anti fun and pretentious spirit.

Also in the semi-interactive parts, super slow and unresposive animations. Bad way to get you into the mood of action gaming.

We'll see. But I'm very skeptical already about this game.

It's pretty much that for the entirety of the game...

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
H6U89sC.png

Hardly a confirmation so a new thread would be premature, but even the mere thought is enough for some juicy fanboy tears. :positive:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So funny. About a year ago there used to be 5 reasons I planned to buy PS5 - Bloodborne, Horizon, God of War, Death Stranding and Project Awakening.

Horizon is coming to PC, God of War is probably coming to PC, Death Stranding turned out to be a fucking abomination and Project Awakening isn't out yet.

I'm where I was 5 years ago, thinking "mang Bloodborne is awesome but imma not gonna buy a 500 dorra console just for that".

cruel

Cipher
You can always just buy an used PS4, play Bloodborne / GoW / Horizon (not worth it) / Persona 5 and sell it for a very similar price you bought it. Much better idea than waiting forever IMO.

CuckMasher

Novice
I ran out of steam about 60% through nu god of war. In some ways it was great--good script, reasonably good fighting. In other ways it was terribly overrated. Lots of samey environments--why have this fancy HDR if you spend all your time exploring fucking mines and caves? Most of the bosses were the same, and the fixed camera hurt the game immensely. No sense of scale like previous GOW games. Totally unneeded crafting and inventory system that added nothing. Lots of "we are trying to make a cinematic game" moments. A lot of basically reskinned areas. I got bored and foudn it to be overrrated.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I also quit like 60 percent in. Shortly after getting the Blades of Chaos. The old games were so much better.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
:necro:

Loved the gameplay loop of killing, exploring, solving puzzles, buying/upgrading stuff.

Also enjoyed the verticality of the levels, how it's constantly encouraging you to look up, and the Metroidvania backtracking to previously-inaccessible areas.

Mixed feelings about the writing. There was some obnoxious anachronistic dialogue near the beginning. It does do a good job of reinforcing its themes about family. I liked how it starts with a personal, low-key goal and remains that way, but they sullied it with all the epic sequel-baiting in the endings. I found the J*rlFr*nk-looking villain incredibly obnoxious, but I did enjoy beating the hell out of him.

I only played the first God of War, but I didn't find its combat exceptionally good or awful, and felt the same here. I'll likely check out the third since this reminded me that I actually did enjoy the loop of the first game, my memories were just tainted by the spinning blades at the end and the final QTE required to kill the last boss. Nothing that bad here.

Ash

Arcane
I also quit like 60 percent in. Shortly after getting the Blades of Chaos. The old games were so much better.

They were. And they weren't even peak genre stuff (that's DMC and NG), more good for what it is. This is just yet more modern decline.

Pretty good video:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This is just yet more modern decline.

God of War was always a cinematic molepopper meant for the mass market so the idea that it's declined because it has further refined those elements is nonsense.

http://criminalcrackdown.blogspot.com/2010/10/my-response-to-ea-louse.html

David Jaffe said:
What the fuck is it about making games where it brings out the worst, most immature, most obnoxious sides of certain types of people on a team? Everyone thinks they always know better than the people in charge. On God of War 1 I still remember a small group of hard core gamers on the team that felt we were making the game 'wrong' because there was not all this deep, deep, Street Fighter 2/Tekken style depth to the combat system. "Jaffe's out of touch!" "Jaffe doesn't 'get it!'"...never did it occur to them that we were going for something else...even tho I explained this to them over and over! But still, every few weeks I could count on this little contingency being up in the studio head's office pitching 'their' version of the game, with the goal being to have the head step in- which he never did- and shove their ideas into the title. Fuck it annoys me! Am I the only one in games who has experienced this?

And this is why to this day the God of War series is mired in clunky, poorly automated combat (dodge on the right analog stick lol) and anyone with a clue considers Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, or Ninja Gaiden to have far superior controls and combat mechanics.

Matheww, you miss the point. We were not trying to go head to head with those games. ANYONE can see the pure technique involved in those games- or games like Bayonetta- blows the doors off GOD OF WAR. They are SUPPOSED to! In GOD OF WAR our goal was to get the player to feel like they were on an adventure that was easy to play, had cool scenarios, puzzles, platforming,etc.

The goal was NEVER to be some amazing combat simulator. Your reaction proves my point: you may not LIKE GOD OF WAR but you don't even stop to think that perhaps there are other goals and ways of doing things, not JUST the ones you like.

And if you look at the GOD OF WAR sales compared to those games you mention, clearly- at least from a sales standpoint- we did something right.
For the record, NO :) It was NO ONE on the combat team...the combat team seemed to get what we were going for from the very start. Probably because they were so well versed in the more complex fighters like SF2 that they KNEW if we wanted to hit the mainstream target we'd have to dial things back a bit.

Ash

Arcane
GoW was indeed somewhat casual, nobody said otherwise, and that didn't make it a bad game.
What made it a bad game was turning it into a try hard cinematic movie game with completely retarded, repetitive and meaningless gameplay.

Since you don't seem to understand, play both games back to back and focus on the platforming and climbing as an example. One game completely wastes your time in its implementation. the other engages.

I'm not even a fan of GoW. They were good for what they were at best. The new game is just dumb.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
Decline is decline, intent of some dumbass doesn't matter, final product was middle of the road Hack n' slash call it casual with qte but it declined from even that and turned into another AAA walking simulator, anyone who cares is right to call them out on it.

Ash

Arcane
Precisely

From "it's ok, playable" to "these devs clearly don't give much a sht for the game part of a video game, and neither does their players. Zzero respect for my time. This is not interactivity. this is not a puzzle. This is not engaging platforming and climbing. This is not meaningful resource and inventory management and so on".

I don't understand how fans of these nu age movie games sit through all the lengthy brainless "gameplay" for the cinematics and storytelling (that isn't often impressive anyway, sometimes downright laughable and cringey). Hours of this stuff!
Do they actually, truly find that barely interactive, simon says "gameplay" shit engaging? To be fair the combat is at least somewhat challenging unlike most other AAA of the past decade+, but it's still simple mechanically and declined in nature. Ends up being repetitive quick.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom