Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

God of War reboot - now on PC

toughasnails

This is only being released to lure PC players into buying a PS5 for the sequel. Sony admitted it with Horizon, stating "we hope PC players will join Aloy in her next adventure on PS5".
Forbidden West was actually listed in the leak, alongside other PS5 titles like Returnal and Ratchet and Clank... The same leak listed this and previously confirmed Uncharted 4 remaster so there's a good reason to trust it.

randir14

Augur
This is only being released to lure PC players into buying a PS5 for the sequel. Sony admitted it with Horizon, stating "we hope PC players will join Aloy in her next adventure on PS5".
Forbidden West was actually listed in the leak, alongside other PS5 titles like Returnal and Ratchet and Clank... The same leak listed this and previously confirmed Uncharted 4 remaster so there's a good reason to trust it.
I hope you're right, I just looked at the leak and it has some games I want like Returnal, Demons Souls remake and Ghost of Tsushima.

ADL

Prophet
Hopefully Tsushima is next, I want to play the co-op expansion they released but I'm not paying a fucking cent for peer2peer multiplayer.

Returnal and Demon's Souls would also be nice given that no one can buy a fucking PS5 even if they wanted to right now.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I hope you're right, I just looked at the leak and it has some games I want like Returnal, Demons Souls remake and Ghost of Tsushima.
Link? Does the leak feature Bloodborne?

DemonKing

Arcane
Did... did Sony just btfo of their only reason to have a PlayStation?

You still need a Playstation unless you want to wait years to play one of their exclusives on PC. Also they're giving away God of War to anyone who owns a PS5 so doubt they're expecting to milk any more from the PS crowd so makes sense to port.

Personally I prefer controllers for 3rd person action games which are basically all of the PS exclusives plus they can be traded back when finished so doubt I'll ever play any of these on PC.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Personally I prefer controllers for 3rd person action games which are basically all of the PS exclusives plus they can be traded back when finished so doubt I'll ever play any of these on PC.

You can use a ps4/5 controller with a PC with no problem. :M

DemonKing

Arcane

Naturally but that doesn't help with the wait, plus I like sitting on the couch and kicking back in front of the big screen sometimes.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Naturally but that doesn't help with the wait, plus I like sitting on the couch and kicking back in front of the big screen sometimes.
Is your big screen a smart TV? If it is then it doesn't take much time to download and configure Remote Play through the Steam Link app.

Ash

Arcane
The new God Of War has sold 19.5 m copies as of August 2021 on PlayStation 4...

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/10/20/god-of-war-2018-is-coming-to-pc/

19.5m people with zero fucking standards. Admitting to playing and enjoying the old God of War games is embarrassing enough. They're good for what they are, as a slightly inferior version of DMC & Ninja Gaiden. This new "game" is for people that don't actually give a single shit about the game part of "video game".

Suicidal

Arcane
The new God Of War has sold 19.5 m copies as of August 2021 on PlayStation 4...

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/10/20/god-of-war-2018-is-coming-to-pc/

19.5m people with zero fucking standards. Admitting to playing and enjoying the old God of War games is embarrassing enough. They're good for what they are, as a slightly inferior version of DMC & Ninja Gaiden. This new "game" is for people that don't actually give a single shit about the game part of "video game".

It's the other way around for normies. Admitting to liking DMC or NG makes you a loser dweeb, while God of War is a real game for real gaymers. I've seen multiple times people call DMC "a shitty weeb GoW clone".

Anyways, wake me up when they announce a Bloodborne PC port, literally the only exclusive on Playstation that's worth any amount of attention.

Ash

Arcane
BB is indeed worth some attention, but it's a lesser souls game - 8/10 sounds about right.
Ghost of Tsushima is alright also. 7/10.
Other than that yeah, they're all the same cinematic non-game. Real artful stuff, trying to be like movies (poor attempts at that) and tossing the medium's strengths to the side w/lackluster gameplay focus, and what is present is retard-tier gameplay.

toughasnails

I'm pleasantly surprised that they are actively doing PC ports for titles from what you'd call core Playstation franchises. God of War, Uncharted, and Gran Turismo and ratchet and Clank were also listed in the leak... When they began bringing their titles to PC I was expecting that they'd stuck with new IP and one-offs and keep the aforementioned franchises console-only.

Bloodborne remains mystery as it appears that it was never even planned. Especially since it seems like the most obvious choice for a PC port given the popularity of Souls games on PC and the fact that it was the petition and the eventual success of Dark Souls' PC port that began the flood of japanese console titles onto PC years ago. Then there were all those rumors of PC port that were floating around before Sony even went public with their new PC gaming strategy.
Could it be something akin to why the first Red Dead Redemption never received neither the PC port nor the proper HD rerelease for PS4 and One even though it was easily the most requested title for both, where the common explanation was that the code was such a mess that the game would have to be rebuilt from the grounds up for new platforms. But I never got that impression with Bloodborne...

Silentstorm

Learned
BB is indeed worth some attention, but it's a lesser souls game - 8/10 sounds about right.
Other than that yeah, they're all the same cinematic non-game. Real artful stuff, trying to be like movies (poor attempts at that) and tossing the medium's strengths to the side w/lackluster gameplay focus, and what is present is retard-tier gameplay.
They sell though, which is all developers care about, i think there are rumors that Microsoft with the studios they bought, are telling them to look at Uncharted, The Last Of Us, God Of War and other Sony exclusives because they don't really have equivalents for Xbox and want their own cinematic games to see if they can finally sell some Xboxe's...when exclusives games finally come to it in like 2025.

Wasn't it revealed that Rare's future game, Everwild, only showed cutscenes in it's two trailers:

...Because they only planned the story and the cutscenes and at the time of those trailers hadn't even planned anything about the gameplay, not even what kind of goddamn genre it would be?

Granted, i think they switched directors after that became public knowledge, but it says something some developers make enough cutscenes for two trailers before they even know the fucking genre of a game, you'd think that would be something decided on day 1.

toughasnails

There was always a certain aura of prestige around Sony exclusives, much like with Nintendo's, that Microsoft never managed to produce around their flagship IPs. It's hard to pinpoint what it is, but Halo or gears of War just don't have it.

Silentstorm

Learned
At least they have multiplayer, those two IP's are renowned for that, even though i only played like a few minutes of Halo at a friend's house and my experience with Gears Of War begins and ends with Gears Tactics which isn't bad...but i know for a fact is not at all like the rest of the franchise.

...After a Google Search, MS did try with some stuff like Blinx, Kameo, Viva Pinata and so forth that went nowhere or saw the few good stuff they had going to Sony as well like the Ninja Gaiden games, probably explains why they are buying so many studios though i really hope they don't go full blown cinematic games like...then again, the upcoming Perfect Dark is being made by a studio mostly composed of former Naughty Dog people and those who worked on the last released God Of War game, so maybe it will be mostly cinematic even though all i want for a Perfect Dark game is basically Goldeneye with crazy weapons and some crazy stuff like an alien named Elvis and not that much story or cutscenes getting in the way.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There was always a certain aura of prestige around Sony exclusives, much like with Nintendo's, that Microsoft never managed to produce around their flagship IPs. It's hard to pinpoint what it is, but Halo or gears of War just don't have it.
Halo and Gears at their peaks were geared (heh) towards the American audience and seen as the premiere dudebros shooty shooty bang bang video games. Despite being very good at what they do, the mass doesn't really perceive them as anything more than dumb blockbuster shooters. From a glance, they look simple and elementary next to Sony's cinematic products which are way more appealing to people who don't play games (and thus giving them the mainstream's seal of approval). This is why I don't believe Sony will bring back Resistance or Killzone anytime soon, these hard-edged scifi shooters don't look like something comes out of HBO/20th Century Fox's catalogue and that's just a no-no in their playbook unless the current formula goes noticeably stale.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
lol No. Watch this:

And this guy is constantly pussying out, just highlights the magnitude of how shit it is. Look at that garbage where you struggle to die in the highest difficulty naked! You call this a fckn game!
Garbage!

Yes, to truly enjoy it you have to make sure no hand holder options are on (they're off by default if I recall), refrain from taking certain upgrades and not wear armor. I already reviewed it on the dex and said it was decline. However, the base mechanics and design are just about good enough that it makes it interesting to play providing you do self-impose difficulty. Perhaps 7/10 is too generous, the game lured me in as it starts off pretty hardcore (no armor, no upgrades) and then unleashes some overpowered popamole shit upon you (chain takedowns, smoke bombs that allow more instakills, armor that grants too much) over time while the enemies only scale a little in threat. But as long as you ignore that it is worth playing unlike the typical modern movie games where there is no silver lining. Of all the AAA decline this is one of the least offensive, though still decline nonetheless. Sekiro/Ninja Gaiden/Tenchu/Onimusha etc are of course better samurai or ninja games.
I hope it comes to PC so that the decline can be modded out. With the source code I'd only need a week to make it a significantly better game, as it's largely a case of removing/nerfing overpowered upgrades. But I'd take a little longer and not remove them; instead nerf and make them do more interesting shit without destroying balance.

Last edited:

DemonKing

Arcane
Is your big screen a smart TV? If it is then it doesn't take much time to download and configure Remote Play through the Steam Link app.

I have Steam Link on my Apple TV but rarely use it - as it means I'm occupying both the main TV and my gaming PC simultaneously which is difficult to manage with two boys in the house who are hardcore gamers too.

The combat in the new GoW is not particularly hard (except for the optional Valkyries) but it is visceral and fun. You can try different tactics and approaches. Sure the storyline is fairly linear but I'd argue it's more of a video game than something like Plansecape Torment.

Sony have perfected the art of doing cinematic 3rd-person games with top notch production values. No the gameplay doesn't have the nuances, options and complexities of something like a Solastra or a Dark Souls but the core gameplay is usually fun and satisfying which is why they're so popular. Sometimes I want to sit in front of my PC and sink hours into a CRPG, strategy game or FPS - other times I want to crash on my couch and play an hour or two of a Sony 3rd person Kratos/Drake/Spiderman simulator and chill out. No reason you can't enjoy both.

Ash

Arcane
The combat in the new GoW is not particularly hard (except for the optional Valkyries) but it is visceral and fun. You can try different tactics and approaches. Sure the storyline is fairly linear but I'd argue it's more of a video game than something like Plansecape Torment.

Sony have perfected the art of doing cinematic 3rd-person games with top notch production values. No the gameplay doesn't have the nuances, options and complexities of something like a Solastra or a Dark Souls but the core gameplay is usually fun and satisfying which is why they're so popular

This is what I'd say about old God of War, not new. It's too far gone with it's brainless "climbing", meaningless RPG systems, removal of jump button, camera shoved up the arse to prioritize cinematic feel story and character interaction over gameplay.

. Sometimes I want to sit in front of my PC and sink hours into a CRPG, strategy game or FPS - other times I want to crash on my couch and play an hour or two of a Sony 3rd person Kratos/Drake/Spiderman simulator and chill out. No reason you can't enjoy both.

Boring. I don't only play super hardcore games too, but for me more casual experiences still need some baseline level of gameplay depth and focus, not largely mindless shit. Mario Bros, old God of War, Trials Evolution, Tetris, pokemon, these casual games meet that baseline. Not movie wannabes where the gameplay is a meaningless waste of time or close to it, yet still forces you through hours of the stuff. Playing through that is self-imposed torture for me. The only one I accept from your list is Uncharted, just barely. While it features dumbed down combat, puzzles and platforming, none are completely absolutely brainless and automated. Comes real close though and I'm definitely not a fan, but I can see why many enjoy it. Nu God of War features its form of platforming with the climbing, but it's so fucking basic and most often a worthless waste of time.

Last edited:

DemonKing

Arcane
The only one I accept from your list is Uncharted, just barely. While it features dumbed down combat, puzzles and platforming, none are completely absolutely brainless and automated. Comes real close though and I'm definitely not a fan.

I agree Uncharted is better than nu God of War. Where do you stand on Last of Us? Dubious politics in part II aside the actual gunplay was pretty good for a third person game IMO.

Ash

Arcane
I agree Uncharted is better than nu God of War. Where do you stand on Last of Us? Dubious politics in part II aside the actual gunplay was pretty good for a third person game IMO.

Citizen Kane of gaming.

In all seriousness I can't give any definitive standing, having played very little. It's definitely not for me, but I can't say or not if it still has some value as a game despite being a dumbed down cinematic movie wannabe.
Is there any gameplay that is way too insultingly dumb, doesn't actually add anything to the game and does not respect your time? What is the ratio of story/immersion/whatever focus over gameplay focus? Just how hand-holdey is it throughout? Does the game utilize its systems and mechanics well regardless of the dumbing down? These are the parameters I'd be using to determine that.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom