Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

God of War reboot - now on PC

ekrolo2

Learned
Sony's basically raised a generation or two of people on the whole "cinematic Sony game" thing since I wanna say the late PS2, early PS3 era. Naughty Dog and their rotation of Uncharted and TLoU are probably the most to blame for the internal shift within Sony to make their games quasi movies in the vast majority of cases. Couple that with the gaming media fawning over them and the aforementioned pre-existing playerbase molded into buying them and you've got an endless cycle. The only way to break it is it have several of these games crash and burn, reception and sales wise but I don't see that happening.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Sony's basically raised a generation or two of people on the whole "cinematic Sony game" thing since I wanna say the late PS2, early PS3 era. Naughty Dog and their rotation of Uncharted and TLoU are probably the most to blame for the internal shift within Sony to make their games quasi movies in the vast majority of cases. Couple that with the gaming media fawning over them and the aforementioned pre-existing playerbase molded into buying them and you've got an endless cycle. The only way to break it is it have several of these games crash and burn, reception and sales wise but I don't see that happening.

Days Gone was not well received, and TLoU2 had some backlash... so the formula is not an automic win for Sony.

sullynathan

Arcane
GoW was indeed somewhat casual, nobody said otherwise, and that didn't make it a bad game.
What made it a bad game was turning it into a try hard cinematic movie game with completely retarded, repetitive and meaningless gameplay.

Since you don't seem to understand, play both games back to back and focus on the platforming and climbing as an example. One game completely wastes your time in its implementation. the other engages.

I'm not even a fan of GoW. They were good for what they were at best. The new game is just dumb.

God of war 2018 is more difficult and takes greater skill than the older God of war games on higher difficulties with the exception of Ascension.

Platforming was never good in those old games but this one could've done with less of it.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I also quit like 60 percent in. Shortly after getting the Blades of Chaos. The old games were so much better.

They were. And they weren't even peak genre stuff (that's DMC and NG), more good for what it is. This is just yet more modern decline.

Pretty good video:

Obligatory I didn't like it but I played it for 300 hours

Still a pretty good video. Finally someone rebutted this old story was bad, new story is good nonsense. Thanks for sharing. I left a comment.

"What I found worse about the boy than his incessant voice is that the epic ambient music from the old games has been replaced with boring silence and dialogue."

Because a talking companion means you usually can't have music.

Ash

Arcane

99% correct. Blaming Sony only? Many devs and publishers have been pumping out this extremely low quality movie wannable stuff since 2006 or so. even more pathetic still is even if you were to forget the gameplay and analyse them on their immersion, cinematic, and movie-like narrative qualities, they're most often poorly directed. For a long time I thought there was no hope left for gaming. Thankfully things in the past few years have gotten slightly better, though it's still not recovered and never fully will. the damage is done.

Ash

Arcane
GoW was indeed somewhat casual, nobody said otherwise, and that didn't make it a bad game.
it was a bad game

even ninja gaiden z was better than any of those games

Sure, if you insist. And did NuGOW finally make the series good? No longer a button masher? Now has a "mature" story?

Whatever old GoW was (I consider it a 7.5/10 personally), it was better than this new age crap.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
As I move to xbox for this generation, the only sony exclusive I will miss is GoW. It was a wonderful experience, casual or not.

Wunderbar

Arcane
CqN53dI.png

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Since you don't seem to understand, play both games back to back and focus on the platforming and climbing as an example. One game completely wastes your time in its implementation. the other engages.

I have now played God of War 3 remastered.

It is faster and slightly more demanding when it comes to combat (except with regard to the optional Valkyrie fights in 2018). The platforming was lousy though. So were the flying sections (defaulting to inverted controls was especially nuts) and the really out of place rhythm game. I like how it has PS2-era narrative pacing and a smooth 60 fps, but my favorite GoW remains 2018 on account of its having fewer rougher edges (the rage-inducing blade towers and final boss QTE in GoW sour my memories there, never got a chance to play 2) :M

Ash

Arcane

I have now played God of War 3 remastered.

It is faster and slightly more demanding when it comes to combat (except with regard to the optional Valkyrie fights in 2018). The platforming was lousy though. So were the flying sections (defaulting to inverted controls was especially nuts) and the really out of place rhythm game. I like how it has PS2-era narrative pacing and a smooth 60 fps, but my favorite GoW remains 2018 on account of its having fewer rougher edges (the rage-inducing blade towers and final boss QTE in GoW sour my memories there, never got a chance to play 2) :M

If playing any GoW (probably should really just play other, better games) it should have been 1 or 2, which are the best. They don't have the Icarus Wing flying segments and other annoying mini-games.

Still, I'd easily recommend GoW3 over nu age shit. It's nothing special but it is at least gameplay oriented all throughout.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Using the same shit ass over the shoulder camera for a brawler where you always have to track more than one opponent

These fucking idiots really don't care one bit about the quality of their gameplay experience...

aris

Arcane
Using the same shit ass over the shoulder camera for a brawler where you always have to track more than one opponent

These fucking idiots really don't care one bit about the quality of their gameplay experience...
Oh bohoo, you have to work with constraints. Has it crossed your mind that maybe that's the point?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Except that isn't the point
The point of that camera view, like the director himself said in the previous game, is simply because its "cinematic"
It's not to properly frame the action (like any decent camera in a fucking action of all things should do), its not to intentionally make the game more challenging (and even if it was it would be a pretty fucking lazy way to do so), its simply because the devs are pretentious commiefornian faggots that prefer to make movies out of a medium that was almost nothing to do with cinema

Last edited:

aris

Arcane
Except that isn't the point
The point of that camera view, like the director himself said in the previous game, is simply because its "cinematic"
It's not to properly frame the action (like any decent camera in a fucking action of all things should do), its not to intentionally make the game more challenging (and even if it was it would be a pretty fucking lazy way to do so), its simply because the devs are pretentious commiefornian faggots that prefer too make movies out of a medium that was almost nothing to do with cinema
Then work with it faggot. I was able to adapt to track multiple targets when playing. You, on the other hand, just lie down and complain, swearing at the developers for not giving you your preferred angle.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Listen here you dumb motherfucker
The problem here isn't what's my preferred camera system/position, the problem here is the fact the game uses a camera that isn't tuned to the demands of its combat system but to the "cinematic" aspirations of the faggots that call themselves this game's devs

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane
Listen here you dumb motherfucker
The problem here isn't what's my preferred camera system/position, the problem here is the fact the game uses a camera that isn't tuned to the demands of its combat system but to the "cinematic" aspirations of the faggots that call themselves this game's devs

Did you play the game?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Some fights in my friend's PS4 (plenty of mook fights, one troll fight in helheim and even a bit of the final boss) - enough to understand the flaws of the combat system

Machocruz

Arcane
Hey, remember all those cinema classics where the camera is positioned to the rear and right of the main character for most of the duration of the film? No? How odd...

Video game developers really are devious, ignorant sacks of shit.

DemonKing

Arcane
I don't understand the fuss - I never once thought playing GoW (2018) that the camera positioning was an issue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom