Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

God of War reboot - now on PC

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I've only played the original God of War and everything I've heard about the reboot turns me off. I listened to a podcast on Ragnarök yesterday and one of the reviewers stated that the main theme of the plot is love and opening yourself up. Just what I expected from a game called "God of War" :roll:.

Self-Ejected

HereticGuy

Self-Ejected
...the main theme of the plot is love and opening yourself up.

In the original trilogy, Kratos doesn't open himself up; he opens his enemies to spill their guts. Somebody has to force new gen developers to have a diet includes protein and meat; lack of testesterone makes everything extremely gay.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
If you are gay when your testosterone is low, that means you are gay in general.

Tarkleigh

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
...the main theme of the plot is love and opening yourself up.

In the original trilogy, Kratos doesn't open himself up; he opens his enemies to spill their guts. Somebody has to force new gen developers to have a diet includes protein and meat; lack of testesterone makes everything extremely gay.
It is not even gay, it is far worse. A gay dev could still make a gory hyper-masculine fantasy (though we would probably get more ass-shots from Kratos), the cancer that is the new God of War (aka Dad of Boy) can only be explained by one thing: Dads. Probably some of the important people in the studio had kids in the meantime and were completely overwhelmed by the hormones and their soy intake. We all know the type: the wimpy dad at work who can't shut the hell up about his kids even though nobody cares (and lots of people have kids themselves). Some of these people - aptly named "faggot dads" in the Last of Us thread - seem to have taken over part of the game industry and now annoy people with their games about their kids. This is the only explanation for bullshit like Last of Us or Dad of Boy.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
It derives from insecurity regarding their career. They all arrive at the same conclusion: "if I make a game for/about my kid, then games aren't a trivial job and my child will respect me!"

These people wish they could tell others that they are an accountant at a law firm. As if that somehow benefits society.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Due to the overwhelming praise for the new game, I set aside my notions on what the game is and played the 2018 one. Played around 2-3 hours and it's a godamn snooze fest! So much walking, and so much talking about absolutely nothing, cutscenes are boring, walking is boring, puzzles are brain dead. The fucking chest opening is some pixel hunting mini-game, so fucking tedious. Combat is a clusterfuck of projectile spam and requires you to spam the boy button. Once I reached the blacksmith dude and then reached the next sealed chest, I was done! Couldn't put up with this shit anymore. Haven't been this bored since Horizon Boredom Dawn, I should have known better, what you see is what you get. And Sony wankers with their garbage boring crap, bah! Had to go watch some good action game footage to get the shit out of my mind.

Although I think Elden Ring is one of the weakest From software games, I hope it wins GOTY this year. I rather have an actual game win it than a boring B move script interactive movie.

Last edited:

Terenty

Liturgist
I despise Sony and it's first party output so fucking much, the very fucking definition of gaming as its own art form turning into commercial watered down bubblegum movies for retards. Fuck that shit

Delphik

Due to the overwhelming praise for the new game, I set aside my notions on what the game is and played the 2018 one. Played around 2-3 hours and it's a godamn snooze fest! So much walking, and so much talking about absolutely nothing, cutscenes are boring, walking is boring, puzzles are brain dead. The fucking chest opening is some pixel hunting mini-game, so fucking tedious. Combat is a clusterfuck of projectile spam and requires you to spam the boy button. Once I reached the blacksmith dude and then reached the next sealed chest, I was done! Couldn't put up with this shit anymore. Haven't been this bored since Horizon Boredom Dawn, I should have known better, what you see is what you get. And Sony wankers with their garbage boring crap, bah! Had to go watch some good action game footage to get the shit out of my mind.

Although I think Elden Ring is one of the weakest From software games, I hope it wins GOTY this year. I rather have an actual game win it than a boring B move script interactive movie.
You're not the arbiter of what's good, the free market decides.
And the free market decided disguising movies as games and adding like 2 gameplay scenarios is what's viable therefore your opinion is worth nothing.

I had a discussion with someone after I tried God of War (based on their recommendation), I told them the combat is fucking boring and they told me "increase the difficulty", I'm honestly tired of that argument, the gameplay system was designed around the normal difficulty, increasing the difficulty in a piss easy "normal mode" usually results in one of these scenarios:
1-Spongy enemies
2-Retarded AI that doesn't improve in the slightest anyway
3-Cheating AI that is just straight up not fun to play against
4-You get one shotted in a game where damage can be unavoidable
5-The game stays easy and you need mods for even more difficulty

And guess what, the game was still easy on the highest difficulty. even if you overlook all the other glaring issues it has you can't even enjoy the little moments of gameplay you get.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I want to smooch Sif

sif-god-of-war-ragnar%C3%B6k-beautiful-looking-and-lucky-thor-v0-ifce5lqdrvx91.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

e68628b503de29f1ec4a285db430ebbc743aa7b2.gifv

Seethe

Arbiter
Looking forward to the day this quirky Marvel-like writing style gets phased out of popularity. I don't even play this mind numbing shit, but its mere existence triggers me to no end.

cruel

Cipher
I've finished the game yesterday on PS5, took 48h. Overall, while the first one clearly deserves all those 9.5/10 scores, the second one does not. It's still far from shit, but just... disappointing in many aspects.

Good things:
+ the game looks great
+ top notch sound design
+ excellent acting and voice acting; Sindri is probably one of the best non-major video game characters
+ memorable boss fights
+ solved biggest issue from the first one (recycled boss encounters; not any more)
+ a lot of attention to detail
+ zero bugs, glitches
+ satisfying combat (when it works, more on this below)
+ difficulty: I died 30-40 times while playing on normal; this is NOT a popalome game if you do side content, some of those fights are brutal and harder than 80% of Elden Ring bosses; I can't imagine doing those on hardest difficulty (eg. Berserker Graves)
+ great plot twist at the end, completely unexpected for me and done properly

Bad things:
- way too many puzzles, especially in the first half of the game; some of them are more irritating than fun
- first half of the game is plain boring, very little happening
- some of the segments you don't play as Kratos, and those are much worse / boring
- most of the game is very scripted and on rails
- retarded encounter design, showing the bad parts of the combat system (limited camera + swarm of enemies attacking from all sides); just bad design, not taking into consideration the limits
- something is really, really wrong with Kratos hyperarmor (or lack of it) combined with enemy hyperarmor (even smallest enemy types); just feels 'wrong' when playing
- they kept the horrible healing system
- some minor signs of 'modern' game design: inserting colorful characters just for the sake of inserting them, more emphasis of strong warrior women etc. Freya arc and some of her comments made me want to hit her and throw her from the cliff
- the tone becomes less brutal and more 'nice'
- they could have easily do more on epic side, the ending felt... underwhelming

8/10. Better than most stuff we get nowadays, but nowhere close to those 9.5/10 scores. Elden Ring rightfully got GotY this year.

Last edited:

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm trying to get into Ragnarok. It just makes me want to play a From Software game. Too much hand holdy cinematic crap. The first game was fun but I don't think I needed a sequel.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
I'm trying to get into Ragnarok. It just makes me want to play a From Software game. Too much hand holdy cinematic crap. The first game was fun but I don't think I needed a sequel.
Try Team Ninja games if you want a From Software style game

Ezekiel

Arcane

The sadistic cartoon violence, sex and titties embarrasses Sony now, which is why none of it was in the shitty reboot. I'd be surprised if they remastered these (considering also that the first three Uncharted games were left out of the collection for being old) and would expect some of that stuff to be removed.

Last edited:
If Sony did some kind of remake remaster type thing, and they pulled out all that kind of stuff from the original games, that almost just seems like them going out of their way to pointlessly piss people off. Those were fairly big games, so doing new versions that cater to what a handful of people on ResetEra and Twitter think will fly in 2023 would be a colossally stupid move.

If they were to change anything, it’d be interesting if they made the combat not so brain dead. The original God of War Game were always like a brain dead version of Devil May Cry. Then again being a simpler (and more cinematic) Devil May Cry is what made it even bigger than Devil May Cry.

I’m not sure what you mean about the first three Uncharted games being left out of the “collection” for being old. What Collection? I only know of one Uncharted Collection, and that collection is the first three games.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Takes five seconds to find out about the Uncharted PS5 and PC collection, titled Legacy of Thieves Collection. I have the PS4 collection of the first three, but didn't think it was necessary to specify. Makes no sense to release Uncharted 4 and The Lost Legacy without the first three, especially on PC. The architecture of the PS4 isn't so different that porting the Bluepoint remasters to new systems should be that difficult. Either they left them out because they reject what came before Druckmann (so, Amy Hennig's work) or they didn't think players would care because the games look (relatively) old now. Clearly the choice hurt their sales.

If they make any changes to the old God of War combat, it will be worse. Better to accept where it's shallow than hope that they update it to "modern standards," which means:

A. Locked to the shoulder with poor visibility and no platforming, as in the new God of War.
B. Automated Arkham shit, where you don't even have to face an enemy to attack or defend and the character zigzags around the map like he's The Flash.
C. Primary actions moved to the bumpers and triggers and R3 lock-on as in Dark Souls, except not as good as Dark Souls, and still inferior to the Z-targeting of Zelda for reasons I'd be happy to explain.

If this is real, they will censor. I'm sure of it.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom