Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Godfucking dammit, gaming is dead

1eyedking

Erudite
Some pointers:
  • Generic cartoony art direction (here we go again!)...
  • ...which means some of the mystery, contrast and fantasy charm has been lost in translation
  • Goofy sounds that seem to come from a radio talk shows
  • Fucked up trumpet music "for the current generation"
  • Hideous voice-acting, voiced-everything
  • No interface "because it fills half of the screen and has to be played well on many platforms"
  • In-game hints ("Back at the time we would get stuck on a puzzle since we didn't have internet, which means <s>we had to think</s> we were stuck forever. We don't want players to get their experience broken so we've integrated solutions inside the game!")
What the fuck is happening to games?

PS: Fuck, I'm late it's true. Sometimes it's better to remain ignorant, I guess; still I raged like I never raged before.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Bah, it's not like cartoony style is bad. The Monkey Island games have always been cartoony. They went for a different direction for the remake, more childish, and it wasn't as good. Some parts even remind me that Tim Burton style.

1eyedking

Erudite
Yes, you're right, but notice how I used "generic". A good example of nice cartoony graphics would be Grim Fandango's art deco scenery.

But this...thing?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm gonna get my head ripped off for this, but fuck it:

1eyedking said:
In-game hints

Could you explain to me, very slowly and patiently, since I am very dense, how this will, in any way, shape or form, hurt you or me?

Note that these hints only pop-up if you ask for them.

ecliptic

Liturgist
The only thing that stands out to me is the poor animation. Otherwise, I don't see the blasphemy, hahahaha.

A user named cat

Yeah, you are way late on this, Skyway's angry spic cousin.

Played through most of it month's ago. Wasn't too bad, the idea of being able to switch between versions while playing was a fantastic concept and worked seamlessly.

A user named cat

Oh stfu.

12455891203b0d58c0b3.jpg

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Strikes me almost like the movie adaptation of a classic...

Everything you imagined is shot to hell and raped repeatedly (unless you like rape, then it has consensual post-marital sex missionary position).

Oh, actually, it doesn't look half bad. I think the soundtrack could have done with a more minimalistic approach rather than some hybrid live/electronic ska band interpretation.

New graphics aren't complete shit with plenty of hand drawn backgrounds. You can also switch between the old and new graphics.

I actually thought you were talking about the "Tales Of Monkey Island" at first... which is more worthy of such venom. Isn't it?

Chaotic Lulz3r

Liturgist
You're trying too hard. The new graphics are just fine. And if you don't like them, you can switch to the original game with a single press of a button (F10). The Secret of Monkey Island - Special Edition is win, all the way.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Have fun, it's pretty good.
The only thing they screwed up was the interface, and it's sorta dumb you can't mix and match the old and new graphics/sounds.
Other than that, it's Secret of Monkey Island for cheap.
Yay.

Grunker said:
I'm gonna get my head ripped off for this, but fuck it:

1eyedking said:
In-game hints

Could you explain to me, very slowly and patiently, since I am very dense, how this will, in any way, shape or form, hurt you or me?

Note that these hints only pop-up if you ask for them.

Well, casuals will get to play it too, so I won't be able to feel as smug

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Part of the "rage" towards this game is people failing to understand how the game is remastered.

It's a simple skin plaster job - you're playing the original game, with an engine sitting on top that shows you the new graphics, gives you the new interface and plays the new sounds. Modern-day doohickeys, restricted by the limitations of late-80's coding.

You can even select dialog choices with the number keys like in the old days - just keep in mind that the options are shown in a different order in the remastered edition than the original, but it'll select a conversation option based on its order in the original game.

The voice acting suffers badly as the actors have to say their lines in quick "bursts", but the worst part of the conversion are the close-ups. People look like their parents were giraffes or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom