Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Godfucking dammit, gaming is dead

J1M

Arcane
This thread makes me ashamed to identify with the general sentiments of this forum.

If any new game were to be released today with an interface that took up half of the screen due to MASSIVE FONTS this place would scream bloody murder at how it was being dumbed down for a console audience. (See Deus Ex 2)

There is nothing wrong with this remake. It looks like the people who got to remake their game had fun working on it.

Most console games just do things that PC games did 7-9 years prior. Unlike most, this one isn't pretending to be new.

Deleted member 7219

Jim Cojones said:
Silellak said:
Elzair said:
Fuck! I have never played Monkey Island, but still. Fuck!
Yeah, that blows. I really wish the remake gave you the option to switch back to the old graphics and sound at any point with the simple press of a button.

Oh...wait.
Does it have every advantage of original run on SCUMMVM? Scaling filters, windowed mode, fast mode?

Fucking hell, you haven't played it at all have you?

MetalCraze

Arcane
J1M said:
Most console games just do things that PC games did 7-9 years prior. Unlike most, this one isn't pretending to be new.

If console games indeed did things that PC games did 7-9 years prior you wouldn't get me away from that awesome XBawks. More like things that PC games did 20 years ago with graphics that PC games did 5-7 years ago.

But yeah MI SE is p. decline mostly due to the visual direction that reminds more of flash games but I think that voice acting is pretty good - if the game allowed playing original MI with that voice-acting I would've given it a try but alas

Silellak

Cipher
MetalCraze said:
J1M said:

If console games indeed did things that PC games did 7-9 years prior you wouldn't get me away from that awesome XBawks. More like things that PC games did 20 years ago with graphics that PC games did 5-7 years ago.

But yeah MI SE is p. decline mostly due to the visual direction that reminds more of flash games but I think that voice acting is pretty good - if the game allowed playing original MI with that voice-acting I would've given it a try but alas
You exaggerate. While consoles are certainly behind PCs when it comes to graphical ability (particularly displaying at a high resolution), few if any recent PC games look as good as, for example, Uncharted 2 - Crysis being the one obvious example that stands out.

This isn't a knock against the PC - the PC is certainly far, far more capable than any of the current generation of console, but few are willing to push that potential as far as possible. Hence, many of the best-looking games are still on consoles.

relootz

Scholar
Silellak said:
This isn't a knock against the PC - the PC is certainly far, far more capable than any of the current generation of console, but few are willing to push that potential as far as possible. Hence, many of the best-looking games are still on consoles.

I absolutely dont agree, game that get released on different platforms always look a lot better on the pc then on the consoles. The consoles gfx are plainly ugly compared to the pc. I think you are impressed too easily by the fact that consoles the place are where the money is, so that the developpers maximize the gfx possibilities while not always doing the same on the pc. (or unable as the consoles would get 5 fps)

Silellak

Cipher
relootz said:
Silellak said:

I absolutely dont agree, game that get released on different platforms always look a lot better on the pc then on the consoles. The consoles gfx are plainly ugly compared to the pc. I think you are impressed too easily by the fact that consoles the place are where the money is so that the developpers maximize the gfx possibilities while not always doing the same on the pc. (or unable as the consoles would get 5 fps)
While multiplatform games that are also released for the PC certainly look better on the PC - if only because the native resolution can be much higher - console exclusives tend to look better than both. I'm pretty hard pressed to find ANY PC game - console or otherwise - that can compete with Uncharted 2 short of Crysis - though Uncharted 2 is quite obviously an exception, as most console games don't look nearly that good. Of course, one could make the same claim of Crysis and most PC games.

And keep in mind, I was responding primarily to Skyway's claim that modern console games look like PC games made 5-7 years ago, which is a joke.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
This thread is the reason why during the falklands war we should have gone all the way and rendered spiccy spic land uninhabitable with trident.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I'd rather see them work on a new game than go back to an old one. I could understand if MI still used EGA and used the speaker for sound but that's not the case with the latest version, which is still fine today. It could just have been released with modern system compatibility — which is very easy with ScummVM — and it would have been just as good as when it came out.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
LOLOLLLO.LLOL AT ALL THE RETARDS IN THIS THREADS. BROS THE GAME IS NEW AND NEXT GEN SO IT SUCKS ASS XBAWKS FAGS GO BACK TO GAMEFAGS!!!!111 THIS GAME SHOULD HAVE BEEN REMADE IN ASCII THEN HALF THE FORUM WOULD SUCK ITS COCKL

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Clockwork Knight said:
^Obv., a visual remake is much more likely to get players interested

Sure but it's a bit sad to think that they can't just release the game as it is and sell it for the good game it is, without the need of giving it a new style that is a bit different from the original.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
BLOBERT said:
LOLOLLLO.LLOL AT ALL THE RETARDS IN THIS THREADS. BROS THE GAME IS NEW AND NEXT GEN SO IT SUCKS ASS XBAWKS FAGS GO BACK TO GAMEFAGS!!!!111 THIS GAME SHOULD HAVE BEEN REMADE IN ASCII THEN HALF THE FORUM WOULD SUCK ITS COCKL

LOLOLO

Retard.

You don't know where to draw the line, do you?

This is not about "everything new is shit" it's about the fact that it does look like shit. But why should it matter, if you don't like it you're a hater, right?

Btw, you lost your funny factor right after your second post.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Main objection i had when i saw the videos was the (horrific) walk animation and the arguably inferior portraits of the new version. I don't know what happens towards monkey island and i don't particularly care.

I just replayed the game this year anyway.

holdsUp++;

Lord Rocket

Erudite
New art is ugly, it's sad that they didn't just make prettier, higher res versions of the old resources.

Never mind though.

FeelTheRads said:
BLOBERT said:

LOLOLO

Retard.

You don't where to draw the line, do you?

This is not about "everything new is shit" it's about the fact that it does look like shit. But why should it matter, if you don't like it you're a hater, right?

Btw, you lost your funny factor right after your second post.

LOL BRO U MAD

Chaotic Lulz3r

Liturgist
Jim Cojones said:
Does it have every advantage of original run on SCUMMVM? Scaling filters, windowed mode, fast mode?

If you run it on SCUMMVM, with all the bells and whistles turned on, it is no longer the original game. So you may as well get the remake.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Silellak said:
You exaggerate. While consoles are certainly behind PCs when it comes to graphical ability (particularly displaying at a high resolution), few if any recent PC games look as good as, for example, Uncharted 2
So name me these mythical PC games which are not console ports.

Crysis being the one obvious example that stands out.
There are more, see below

Hence, many of the best-looking games are still on consoles.
Oh really? You mean developers are afraid to push the limits of the integrated Radeon X1800 and Direct X specification of 2004?
Funny that you've mentioned it - but even multiplatform PC versions look far better than their "best looking" console pieces.

From the recent ones compare GTA4, Risen, OFP2 to their console counter-parts.

And how about bringing ArmA1/VBS2 and ArmA2 into the discussion? The first one doesn't even use shaders 3.0 yet it looks better than the traditional console ugliness.
Also how about I'll use the World in Conflict card?

It's a motherfucking RTS that looks better than anything on consoles.

And what about Total War series? http://screenshots.ag.ru/ag15/geo/19003/1.jpg
And there will be 1000s of such units on the screen.
And these strategy games don't even use the latest tech.
Yeah but there is only Crysis riiiiight.

Silellak said:
And keep in mind, I was responding primarily to Skyway's claim that modern console games look like PC games made 5-7 years ago, which is a joke.

Except they do.
Even some of the bigger titles look like PC games made 5-7 years ago with bloom
Don't forget that consoles use 4 years old tech that already wasn't anything special when "next-gen" consoles came out.

Case in point: Far Cry 2, OFP2, GTA 4, Halo 3

~6 years old Far Cry (unpatched mind you)
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/9683/farcry16uh1.jpg

Far Cry + Bloom (and ugly sepia filter) =
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/artic ... 140344.jpg

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Never played the original. The art direction is almost as bad as the tranistion from the Teen Titan comic to cartoon.

2543_4_01.jpg

TeenTitansTogether.png

I didnt even know Risen had a console couterpart. Metal is right. I dont agree with his RTS examples though. RTS always look like hell on consoles. Its just tradition. It has nothing to do with specs. Check out Kameo. It does the thousand troop thing better than Total War and it looks great because its not a RTS.

IdaGno

Educated
Not yet exactly dead but so Jean Brodied as to be indistinguishable from the dead.

Zombified?

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO I THINK THE GAME IS UGLY TOO XBAWKS FAGS SUCK THIS SHIT DOWN THOUGH

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom