Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Goetia - Horror PnC Adventure Game

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/438269196/goetia

http://playgoetia.com

https://af.gog.com/game/goetia?as=1649904300

Somehow I missed this (this was a Kickstarter game, that was successfully funded a while back). Adventure Gamers REALLY liked this:

The Good:
Lots of rich settings with gorgeous, atmospheric art to explore; clever puzzles; unusual plot with plenty of gripping twists; likeable heroine; excellent conclusion.

The Bad:
No hint system to counter some particularly obscure clues; two tough music puzzles.

Goetia is a beautifully crafted and intricately complex game set in a fantastically spooky world. It’s a must-play for horror and supernatural mystery enthusiasts, though not for those afraid of a little challenge.​

Currently available through steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/421740/

Might add this to my wishlist. Looks interesting at least.

Last edited by a moderator:

V_K

Arcane
Finished it today. Overall it's pretty good, the only complaint I have is the uneven difficulty: first 2/3 of game are fairly easy (at least on the critical path), and then closer to the end you are hit with a couple of puzzles that are unfairly hard.
In one case you have to reconstruct a tune by ear from an array of very similarly sounding fragments, in another, reconstruct a drawing from paper pieces that don't fit together well relying on only one extremely vague hint. I'm not even ashamed to admit that I consulted a walkthrough for those two.
On the plus side, the game is indeed very open (after the short first chapter you are free to go nearly anywhere), has a lot of content that is optional (alternative solutions and "sidequests" that reward ou with additional pieces of backstory) or semi-optional (if you do it, you'll get a better ending). Non-critical puzzles are on average a bit harder than critical ones (except the two examples above). I also really liked that the gameplay is built around the fact that your character is a ghost, which results in some innovative (or at least unusual) mechanics.

V_K

Arcane
How is the Horror Aspect, and the Story in general?
To me it felt more urban fantasy/surrealist than horror tbh. Your character is already dead, so there's little she could actually fear. And the studio went the noble way of having no jumpscares or other cheap tricks. The atmosphere is great, though, very eerie and unnerving. You just get used to it after a while, because the worst thing that could happen is not solving some puzzles and getting a bad ending.
Story-wise it's kinda like Myst - there's a very rich mythology and backstory that you have to piece together from numerous clues (prepare to read A LOT), but there's not much happening in the game itself. You basically spend all the time investigating past events and figuring out why you ended up being a ghost. The backstory is quite good and original, though, and the ending has a nice twist.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Just finished it, with the help of a walkthrough. The final puzzles were obscure.
And one musical puzzle can be tedious. Or impossible if you're tone-deaf.
But mostly it was a great game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom