Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

gog.com FREE Tex Murphy 1 + 2 pack until 12/24

cutterjohn

Cipher
Forgot that there was actually an adventure gaming forum now, so in addition to my General Gaming forum post, I'll put it here as well...

Anyways, gog.com & Worldplay LLC are giving away the Tex Murphy 1 + 2 bundle pack until December 24th. If you've already bought it, gog.com is going to give you something else but you have to register. No idea what the replacement is.

Anyways OLD(DOS) future set (2030s) adventure mystery game. One of the first to use full motion video. Graphics are dated as is the UI, but they were pretty decent games.

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
That is very sweet on their part.

I never finished any of the tex murphy titles when I first picked them up in the nineties. Now looks like a good time

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
This promises actually to be a interesting game. though I find the acting in the FMV kind of retarded, the detective work could be very interesting. It gets very good reviews everywhere.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
How dare they? Those games are still available for download for free on abandonware sites! Vultures, all of them.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I find digital re-editions of really old RPG games (older than Fallout) rather pointless, as their quality tends to decrease drastically without a box and manual and map.

hal900x

Augur
Awor Szurkrarz said:
I find digital re-editions of really old RPG games (older than Fallout) rather pointless, as their quality tends to decrease drastically without a box and manual and map.

GOG version comes with PDF downloads of all the original in-box materials, including the map, the detective's reference sheet, manual and more.

Big Nose George

Educated
Awor Szurkrarz said:

Wow, thats should go right to the "best thread ever". Perfect material.
No matter the angle I take to follow your misguided vacuum head, I just dont get it.
Lines of thought:

1. Games prior to Fallout suck gameplay wise, only manuals and shit make them worthy of attention.

2. You already own all old games.

3. You are a faggot.

Aaah, I'm sorry.

trustno1code

Prophet
Good timing, I'll finally play one of those games from the never-ending TO-DO list that I never get to.
Mean Streets is a boatload of fun so far.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Wow that is very sweet on GoG part - releasing for FREE a version downloaded from Abandonia something that was lying on Abandonia and alikes for FREE for the past 10 years! GoG ownz! Good timing!

Zeus

Cipher
MetalCraze said:
Wow that is very sweet on GoG part - releasing for FREE a version downloaded from Abandonia something that was lying on Abandonia and alikes for FREE for the past 10 years! GoG ownz! Good timing!

They totally should have released it ten years ago, long before they existed.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Big Nose George said:
1. Games prior to Fallout suck gameplay wise, only manuals and shit make them worthy of attention.
How about:
1. All that stuff was designed to be an integral part of these games and they are incomplete without it?
2. Being worthy of attention and being worthy buying for the same price as Fallout or other new game is two different things.

Big Nose George

Educated

1. All that stuff was designed to be an integral part of these games and they are incomplete without it?
You sir, are not a gentleman and not a schoolar. I dont see the drastical quality decrease you talked about.

2. Being worthy of attention and being worthy buying for the same price as Fallout or other new game is two different things.
Perspective my good sir! Perspective. The sun doesnt revolve around your tiny self. I have 10 bucks to spare for a configured game without drm that I can install on my box, keep it on my ext. hd and redownload if needed. Also I dont give a shit about the date of release that you mentioned in your snarky response. If I didnt play it, its fucking new. And last but not least "worthy buying" and "rather pointless" are lightyears apart.
Please be more aware of the feeling of your fellow humans in the future. Thank you. BNG.

spekkio

Arcane
Funny thing about GOG-threads on Codex is that some of the GOG-bashers that use MC's logic (they are selling games that were abandonware! this is the same version you can get on Abandonia only with DosBox included and preconfigured! RAGE!) proved in other threads (for example UFO/TFTD thread) that they have no idea how to properly configure DosBox.

"Man, I don't get this dosbox.conf thing, I always just drag and drop .exe on DosBox desktop shortcut and it works."

To quote a classic: r00fles!

And why always mention Abandonia (the site well known for removing games if and when they are once again commercially available)? There are plenty other abandonware sites that don’t give a fuck about GOG not to mention better alternatives for getting old titles (Underground Games for example).

Point:

Want an old game for free? Try abandonware / private trackers.
Want to pay GOG for old game (+ DosBox, maps, bonuses): do so.

Humble request: STFU about it.

Luzur

Good Sir
spekkio said:
Funny thing about GOG-threads on Codex is that some of the GOG-bashers that use MC's logic (they are selling games that were abandonware! this is the same version you can get on Abandonia only with DosBox included and preconfigured! RAGE!) proved in other threads (for example UFO/TFTD thread) that they have no idea how to properly configure DosBox.

"Man, I don't get this dosbox.conf thing, I always just drag and drop .exe on DosBox desktop shortcut and it works."

And why always mention Abandonia (the site well known for removing games if and when they are once again commercially available)? There are plenty other abandonware sites that don’t give a fuck about GOG not to mention better alternatives for getting old titles (Underground Games for example).

Point:

i get the same feeling now and then, ya know.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Also, third option: you want the game as it was originally published? eBay

Damn, one thing that I miss is some kind of publisher that would do full re-editions of old boxed games.
It would be great buy a new copy of Wasteland, Fallout, etc.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
spekkio said:

Point:

Precisely! lots of people forget what abandonware means and why it's not the same as freeware.

And I never ever get the reason for bashing GoG. They make rare, old games easy to use for ppl with modern systems, for the price of one to two packs of cigarettes. They offer first class service. Where's the problem?

Well, y'know, I WAS a bit scared to give my credit card number to a polish company, but it worked out fine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom