Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I believe that all the GOG-released games on Magic Carpet engine (including DK) are basically unplayable in high res. But yeah, I completely stopped giving GOG any attention after I bought Fantasy General on release and it had exactly the same instascrolling issue that was there when you tried to run it on your own. What's the point, seriously, people are willing to pay for it to get their games in a playable state, not to see the exact same thing you get when you run abandonware in dosbox.

For Fantasy General, reduce your CPU cycles to 15000 or 20000 (depending on your machine) and the instascrolling issue is gone.

Severian Silk

I am starting to play this, though I've played SW1 and SW2 in the past. It's okay. It's a like mix between Homeworld and Blackguards. There's mainly only one thing that irks me: level design.

The game is an open world sim, but every star system is reduced to a small rectangular area a few dozens of miles wide, with one or more entry portals leading to and from neighboring star systems, and bases scattered about. This is *really* lame, since all the star systems end up looking and feeling the same, except for the pre-rendered backgrounds which might show a different planet or moon. I've never liked portals or gates in movies and games, except for IWar2, which had gates between star systems, but also warp speed travel between many locations in the same star system. IWar2 also had seamless autopilot between systems, which could navigate between and take a lot of the pain out of using portals and gates.

Star Wolves copies a lot from Homeworld, which is great! But it should have copied more. Homeworld's Sensors Manager and circular coordinate system are way cooler than the fixed rectilinear grid (you can't even rotate the camera) that the Star Wolves series uses. Homeworld's hyperspace jumping is also way cooler than Star Wolves' portals and gates. (Though Homeworld did actually have a few portals that were plot-related.) Lastly, HW's hand-crafted maps felt a lot more organic and lived in.

My dream space game is still a game that mixes Homeworld's combat with Jagged Alliance 2's named characters and strategic map. The Star Wolves series *almost* scratches that itch. (In the same way that Mount&Blade *almost* scratches that open-world-with-good-combat RPG itch.)

I would recommend new players stick with Star Wolves 1, which is a more structured mission-based game, then proceed from there if they like the series.

Last edited by a moderator:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I believe that all the GOG-released games on Magic Carpet engine (including DK) are basically unplayable in high res. But yeah, I completely stopped giving GOG any attention after I bought Fantasy General on release and it had exactly the same instascrolling issue that was there when you tried to run it on your own. What's the point, seriously, people are willing to pay for it to get their games in a playable state, not to see the exact same thing you get when you run abandonware in dosbox.

For Fantasy General, reduce your CPU cycles to 15000 or 20000 (depending on your machine) and the instascrolling issue is gone.
What about Interstate 76? I was somewhat able to solve the bouncy physics issue by using a glide wrapper, but it is still far from perfect and not what I remember from my happy pirating days in the 90s.

I was also disappointed when it turned out the GOG release of the original Tomb Raider did not run 'out of the box'. I even contacted support to solve the issue, but their solution did not work either. Although their suggestions allowed me to later fix it on my own.

I know GOG is not Good Old Games any more, but selling stuff that just does not work correctly is a bit below your standards, I think?

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane

Well yeah, I know the workaround for it, but that wasn't my point. Thanks for replying though.

Lucky

Arcane
Six more currencies added as options for payment. Poland, Canada, Switzerland, Norway, Sweden and Denmark.

Make your purchases in PLN, CAD, CHF, NOK, SEK, or DKK Today we are adding six new local currency options to our store. From now on, if you are making purchases from Poland, Canada, Switzerland, Norway, Sweden, or Denmark, you will be able to pay in your local currency, i.e. PLN, CAD, CHF, NOK, SEK, or DKK, respectively.
If you live in one of these beautiful countries, you're already able to choose between USD and EUR. Now, you get a third payment option: your local currency. Any store credit you may already have in USD or EUR remains unchanged and can be used for future purchases made in those currencies.
For more information on how our store credit works, check out this FAQ.You can easily switch between your currency options using the drop-down menu at the website's footer or by going to Account → Orders & Settings → Account and Locale.
Having more options is always useful and a familiar currency can go a long way towards helping you plan your gaming budget. Now, you can do your DRM-free shopping in eleven currencies : USD, EUR, GBP, AUD, RUB, PLN, CAD, CHF, NOK, SEK, or DKK. Enjoy!

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Lo and behold, you can FINALLY pay with potatoes on GOG. About decade too late though.
And it's straight currency exchange, without customizing it to the real value of the currency or average real income and whatever, like in rusia for example.

EDIT : -40% on Hard West and its add-ons. Time to buy the expansion and reinstall the game.

I checked this promo with PLNs. Turns out, you need to pay 4x more than you can get it by buying retail version (promos here are often).
Pay less, get nice box+stuff and game itself.
I'll pass...

Humppaleka

Cipher
I can only remember the old Bedlam where you were a super cool mech or some shit and you blew shit up and upgraded and bought weapons in sort of isometric view.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Lo and behold, you can FINALLY pay with potatoes on GOG. About decade too late though.
And it's straight currency exchange, without customizing it to the real value of the currency or average real income and whatever, like in rusia for example.

EDIT : -40% on Hard West and its add-ons. Time to buy the expansion and reinstall the game.

I checked this promo with PLNs. Turns out, you need to pay 4x more than you can get it by buying retail version (promos here are often).
Pay less, get nice box+stuff and game itself.
I'll pass...

Poland is part of the EU2 pricing zone on GOG, like everywhere else, so if there is not a lower price for the EU2 region there's not much we can do about it. As for the retail version, that can be priced specifically for the Polish market.

Also retail != worldwide digital distribution :)

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron

What about Interstate 76? I was somewhat able to solve the bouncy physics issue by using a glide wrapper, but it is still far from perfect and not what I remember from my happy pirating days in the 90s.

I was also disappointed when it turned out the GOG release of the original Tomb Raider did not run 'out of the box'. I even contacted support to solve the issue, but their solution did not work either. Although their suggestions allowed me to later fix it on my own.

I know GOG is not Good Old Games any more, but selling stuff that just does not work correctly is a bit below your standards, I think?

Yes, Interstate 76 is one of those games that we'll be working on for a while to fix. The thing is, that game will work on modern systems but not all modern systems since it's one of those very flaky early 3D games.

Personally speaking I am not happy about the state of that game myself but that is why we have the refund system in place so if a game like I-76 dos not work for you you get your money back.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes, Interstate 76 is one of those games that we'll be working on for a while to fix. The thing is, that game will work on modern systems but not all modern systems since it's one of those very flaky early 3D games.

Personally speaking I am not happy about the state of that game myself but that is why we have the refund system in place so if a game like I-76 dos not work for you you get your money back.
Thanks for the reply. Good to know a fix is a possibility in the future. Refunding did not cross my mind. It would be a dick move, especially since I pirated this game back in the day. And honestly, those $5 will not make a difference, I would rather see the game working better, since it is one of my all-time favourites.

EDIT: Yay, PLN. And the exchange rate seems slightly better than my banks conversion rate from Euro/$. :incline:

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
Op35Lcm.jpg
Holy shit. GOG just updated Rage of Mages 1 today and the game runs perfect now.

RoM2 still has the problems though, but Im going to assume that that the can update that too.

I have today off from work. Its a great day to get raped by bats cuz my bow skills suck.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Dex is coming to GOG.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dreadlocks/dex-cyberpunk-2d-rpg/posts/1570732
As you may know, Dex has already been refused twice by GoG and it looked like that was, well, that. But we hate giving up, so we contacted GoG again and reopened negotiations. Successfully this time. So, it is with great joy that we announce Dex is set to become available on GoG in the coming months and will include support for achievements via GoG Galaxy.

Playing Chaos Engine with real joystick feels incredibly ...right.

Turjan

Arcane
"45+ games to make your collection cooler"

It's nice how they don't even pretend anymore that anyone plays those games. I guess the gameplay stats speak clearly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom