Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Does ToME work on similar model - free game with paid "premium" version?
Yeah, but the differences on ToME are much less. Paid ToME gets you the item vault where you can store and item on one character and access it with another (Though you still have to reach it in-game and it's roughly midgame) and 1 or 2 classes. The classes might actually be free now too. It used to be the dwarven defender was paid-only but I think they made him a regular one. The expansions are cash-only but they're also super optional. Embers of Rage is an entirely new campaign (Some slight shit gets rolled into the base game, mostly serving to bump the difficulty if elites spawn with buzzsaws) so you're not really missing out without it. Ashes of Urh'rok adds new shit to the main campaign but mostly in the form of new classes/races, the new areas are associated with the classes and races so again, not really missing out without it. Haven't bought/played with Forbidden Cults yet.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Just bought Shadow Tactics and Kingdom Come (plus a third game I don’t know) in a GOG 10th anniversary pack for 21 Euro. Great deal considering that Shadow Tactics alone usually doesn’t drop below 20 bucks even when discounted.

lightbane

Arcane
Back before GOG adopted the hideous form that it has nowadays, it used to have a "daily sale" with a random game getting a discount. Is that still a thing, or no longer available? A bit hard to tell with the giant pics scattered everywhere, although they still do weekly sales at least. I believe it will be restored after the 10th anniversary event is over though.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Back before GOG adopted the hideous form that it has nowadays, it used to have a "daily sale" with a random game getting a discount. Is that still a thing, or no longer available? A bit hard to tell with the giant pics scattered everywhere, although they still do weekly sales at least. I believe it will be restored after the 10th anniversary event is over though.

It was still a thing just last week, though I don't know if that survived the '10 years'-changes.

lightbane

Arcane
It seems these daily deals still are a thing: From time to time one of the games exposed on the first row changes for the one having a discount at the moment. If that's mentioned somewhere though, I wasn't able to find it due the horrid interface.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Did some retard decide to slam his dick all over the keyboard when updating GOG's website? Their website is completely un fucking usable now. Pressing search doesn't open a search bar to type in, hovering over the options at the top bar doesn't display them at all, and there's no log in button.

visions

Arcane
I hate that they lost filtering games by period (before 2000, 2000-2005, etc). I liked seeing what the highest rated games in a particular genre from each period were.

Also, ranking games by their user rating without the ability to filter by period results in dlc-s, edition upgrades and shit with too few ratings cluttering the results. Typically these only showed up in the last period (2014+), so you didn't have to look through this shit when browsing older games.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Millennial web 2.0 retard phone shit design, I fucking hate this cancer, I once spent 20 minutes trying to sort a dropdown menu that kept shitting itself to death when a simple fucking radial option would have done

Shitbrained retard fuckknob spastic cuntrags making garbage UI's should be hung up by their empty scrotum (because you fucking know its some lameshit soy faggot cuntlisp shitberg betaboy) and quartered

And now we return you back to your scheduled programming

mck

Cipher
i don't really mind it aside from there not being an "on sale" tab anywhere. they have a section that has some of the shit that is on sale, but then other stuff on sale is omitted for some reason. also i hate things that are different

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm getting more and more frustrated with GOG's new layout to the point I had to make a post about it here. Not only is it needlessly obtuse to know what is on discount or any new releases, every time you hover over something it auto plays the trailer and that smells of catering to ...a specific audience.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I'm just going to buy expansions for my existing games for now.
Plenty of stuff on Steam that I'm interested in that's too "niche" for GOG anyway.

Walden

Savant
45m2u5d.png

Vorark

Erudite
And here I thought the main page changes were related to the 10 year sale and would be temporary. Nevertheless, the redesign can be salvaged it if they:

1) bring back the "news" section to the top;
2) provide a link to the weekly sales page and other seasonal sales instead of those squares. Curiously enough the links still exist if you check the related news posts.
3) cut down on the javascript. The front page is non-functional if you have it disabled by default.

It isn't all bad, still stand by the revamped review system although it is baffling how they lost a couple of them in the process and removed line breaks from the existing ones.

visions

Arcane
The fact that weekly sales are buried is inscrutable. As it is, I cba to check out any sale except for things on my wishlist. I won't even bother with any sale except the big ones when nearly everything is on sale now. Looking through the sales as they are presented now wastes too much time and is too annoying.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
New site design is "awesome" - I posted a review of Legend of Grimrock and it vanished along with the "write a review" button. GOG support told me that it is a common problem and they are working on it.

I guess that 10th anniversary must have took them by surprise and they did not manage to test the new site on time, or even show it to someone with any sense of aesthetics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom