Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

GOG.com

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Chuck Norris, Feb 2, 2012.

1. pOcHa Arcane Patron

pOcHa
    Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
    ^ Top  
  2. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Filthy Kalinite Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    Halloween sale started.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    ^ Top  
  4. garren Arcane Patron

garren
    No sjw campaign against it so no one cares. Any non-white made game kinda passes under the radar really.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Semiurge Cipher

Semiurge
    I already came from there, they know about as little as we. Most of that thread is just childish tantrums. Maybe Bethesda made an about-face at the last moment because they decided that QuakeEE is an ongoing project (like their new AAA games) that might get enhancements to its online and telemetry features in the future. That's the most pessimistic scenario, perhaps GOG is simply the lowest priority.

^ Top  
  6. Taluntain Most Frabjous

Taluntain
    • Brofist Brofist x 8
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Narushima Savant

Narushima
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • popamole popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Psychonauts 2 is having its first GOG-discount, 25% off, (just like on Steam for their Halloween-sale).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Alexander DeLarge Cipher

Alexander DeLarge
    If you have Twitch Prime go redeem this. Dragon Age Cisquisition (Origin) and Rise of the Tomb Raider (Steam) are up for grabs too.
    [​IMG]

• Informative x 2
    • nice x 1
    • incline x 1
    • No x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Narushima Savant

Narushima
    You forgot to mention the actual good game: Puzzle Agent 2.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • quality shit quality shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Puukko Arcane

Puukko
    • Brofist x 1
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. ferratilis Erudite

ferratilis
    Do any of you have problems downloading games using Galaxy? For me, it's a nightmare. Installations often fail randomly, sometimes it takes two or three attempts to download a game. My internet is crap, but I don't have this problem with any other launchers. For example, when a download stops on Steam for some reason, it keeps attempting to download until it works. On GOG, it just fails and that's it. And cloud saves often fail to upload, as well.

• No No x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Usually happens while the devs are pushing a new build when you're downloading, I find. Much more reliable to download the offline installers and use them.

^ Top  
  14. racofer Thread Incliner

racofer
    Offline installers + lgogdownloader is the answer:
    https://github.com/Sude-/lgogdownloader

• Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    ^ Top  
  16. Fronzel Neekburm Arcane Patron

Fronzel Neekburm
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    • Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. ferratilis Erudite

ferratilis
    Guys, another question. I would like to download all the installers for classic games on GOG (of which I have quite a few) because you never know when these dipshits might go full retard and disable them. Their Hitman shenanigans dont make me optimistic about the future of non-DRM stores. How reliable would an external hard drive be for storing those installers and bonus content? Are they prone to corruption if you use them between several PCs, like some USB flash drives are?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Anthedon Arcane Patron

Anthedon
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Depending on file size I'd go with DVD or Blu-ray as the long term storage solution. Until they stop building optical drives, that is.

• Despair Despair x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. catfood AGAIN

catfood
    In my experience external HDDs have been quite stable. I have yet to have one to crash. One of them had a problem where sometimes the PC wasn't able to read it, but it turned out that the drive was ok, it was the cable that was causing problems. So keep that in mind.

Personally I keep installers on external HDDs. I keep some on DVD's as well. Thankfully with these old games you can put multiple ones on a disc. Ultimately there is no sure fire way of storing data. The best policy of course is to not keep all your eggs in one basket.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  20. racofer Thread Incliner

racofer
    The best approach is to have redundancy. Don't place all your backups in just one location.

Ideally, you want an offsite location to keep your backups, like cloud storage. Use encryption so that nothing gets wrongly flagged, as every cloud storage provider will snoop around your files.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. ferratilis Erudite

ferratilis
    Since I don't have a burner right now, external HDD seems like a good choice. Although you have a point, a lot of those games have smaller size (all the Ultimas, M&Ms, Quest for Glory 1-5 and so on) so they might easily go to the cloud. Thanks bros.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Bad Sector Arcane Patron

Bad Sector
    Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
    I have way too many files for cloud or DVDs or anything like that (and DVDs are fickle really, i have a bunch of older DVDs that... peeled off - M-DISC DVDs are supposed to be made to last for a long time but never tried those and TBF the 4GB limit is too... limiting and AFAIK M-DISC Blu-Rays are just marketing). My GOG download folder alone is 3TB so i'd need around ~653 DVDs just for that :-P not to mention all the other stuff i have on my external HDD.

From what i've read the two most practical long term storage approaches is to use external HDDs and data tapes. External HDDs should be replaced every few years - just copy the existing data to a new larger disk and store the current disk in a safe place (so it also acts as a backup, at least for your older data, though note that statistically HDDs are very unreliable when left powered off for long periods of time). The data tape approach can be better for long term storage as tapes can last a long time under good conditions - sadly this does not include hot environments, etc. Prices can also be good long term as the tapes themselves are very cheap (e.g. ~75 euros for a 12TB tape) though the drives are far from cheap (~3-4k euros) and aren't even that backwards compatible. Still IMO it'd be the best solution if it wasn't for the temperature and humidity requirements due to how much data you can store.

Personally i'll be looking into this soon as i am already past my external HDD limit (i've started temporarily deleting the Mac OS X versions of some larger GOG games to release some storage when i need it - this is with the goal of downloading them again later once i have a larger disk, but i wont need these files any time soon as i rarely game on my Mac nowadays). I'll probably buy a 18TB disk drive to replace my current 8TB one which i bought ~3.5 years ago - though i am waiting for the prices to fall for a bit. Another option i am considering is building a NAS with multiple smaller HDDs on a software RAID setup (perhaps FreeNAS or something like that which uses ZFS that protects against bitrot) which should protect against hardware failure (if the single external HDD breaks then all is lost but with a -e.g.- RAIDz1 setup which uses a single HDD for parity together with some additional data HDDs, i should be both notified for such a HDD failure and be able to replace the failed disk and restore any data, at the cost of that parity HDD's space of course).

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Math! Math! x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Viata Arcane

Viata
    You bought the game. If you ever lost it forever, just download the gog version from some torrent site. There will be 0 differences.

^ Top  
  24. negator2vc Educated

negator2vc
    my advice is to also create hash files (for ex. I use sha256) to go along with the installers (especially for the ones with multiple parts) for easy verification of file corruption.
    Personally I use Total Commander (win) /Double Commander (linux) to make those.
    And of course have backups of those external hdd ;-)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. racofer Thread Incliner

racofer
    That's something lgogdownloader does automatically.

You can also do a full check of your entire GOG library and have it automatically redownload anything that might have gotten corrupted.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.