Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

GOG.com

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Chuck Norris, Feb 2, 2012.

1. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    The wish of it goes on. Interesting that I was looking for Heretic 2 and Mageslayer as well. Of course it wasn't slipped in.

I was also looking ag Bloodwych (and the related thread here and I got annoyed about no manual. That of course led to further disappointment when I saw the extra data disks (amiga/st only) wasn't present. So gog goes out of its way to put 4 versions of Jim Power & the lost dimension on but couldn't put up the Amiga version (thank god for emulation). Jim didn't get Mutant Planet (the first game) either.

[​IMG]
    "Jim... save me!"

[​IMG]
    "Sorry babe... I got lost. And I make a cool Buck Rogers look a like. My sponsor is 7I, the best space boots you can get."

[​IMG]
    "I'll take sloppy seconds."
    [​IMG]

All that aside, I did watch the Jim powers videos and damn that is sone wacky shit for the snes. Background with reverse movement and pseudo 3d glasses. Those gimmicks. Yeesh!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Bad Sector Arcane Patron

Bad Sector
    Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
    I'm certain they'd have those years ago if the rights holders would let them sell their games and in some cases said holders aren't even the same conglomerate. For example TNP is partly owned -as of now- by Microsoft (who got Activision who got Raven) and Ubisoft (who got GAME Studio who was Mattel Interactive who got The Learning Company who got Broderbund who was the parent company of Red Orb Entertainment). Mageslayer is Microsoft and Atari (ex-Infogrames who got GT Interactive).

Problem being these larger companies do not seem to have any interest in bothering to figure out who owns what to sell on places like Steam, let alone some DRM-free site.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. racofer Thread Incliner

racofer
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 2
    • consume product x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    • M: x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Zboj Lamignat Arcane

Zboj Lamignat
    Good for you, especially if you have some insider knowledge, but I'm not. It's a truism that a lot of these games are stuck in a limbo, but it's rather suspicious that they have released, for example, so many SSI General games and then just stopped. Or even EA - still a lot of interesting titles to look at and while EA gonna EA, they don't seem to mind releasing old catalogue into digital distribution at all.

• /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Deuce Traveler Prestigious Gentleman 2012 Newfag Patron

Deuce Traveler
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I agree and am adding to your rant. It shouldn't bother me so much, but I really am turned off by GOG's attempt to woo the social media crowd. "You should buy our games! These Twitter and YouTube hacks agree that it's the best!" If I gave two fucks about what kids trying too hard to be popular think, I wouldn't be at home all the time playing games.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    Probably their personal picks but.... it is probably fake. Random games or just ones they quickly selected and tossed in a list.
    "OHHHHHH!!! RANDOM GOG DUDE CHOICE PICK!!! I DUNNOWHOTHEFUCKITIS!! MUST BUY!!"
    [​IMG]
    mhhhh hmmmm

Maybe they should work harder to provide documentation as well. I get that newer games seem to not bother but older games had manuals and extras like maps and ref cards. These aren't always easy to track down.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Bad Sector Arcane Patron

Bad Sector
    I don't really have any insider knowledge but i don't think i'd ever need that to reach the conclusion i did, after all...

...suspicious about what? Why would they not sell more games if they had access to them? What else would they want to do with these old games instead of selling them? The SSI stuff are all owned by Ubisoft which makes things easier.

^ Top  
  8. Zboj Lamignat Arcane

Zboj Lamignat
    Ah, so you are another of those guys certain about things you have no possibility of being certain about, gotcha.
    About anime tiddies being a lower hanging fruit. Like wtf, rocket science time.

^ Top  
  9. Bad Sector Arcane Patron

Bad Sector
    Of course they are, these are new products by developers who are still around and want to sell their games that are presented to GOG in platter.

How does that contradict anything i wrote? My point was they sell the games they have access to and the games you listed are not being sold because they do not have access to them (yet, at least).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    Do we know who works for/in GOG? Should we be worried about GOG during this Russian/Ukraine shit.
    [​IMG]

• feels good man x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    • Math! x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Deuce Traveler Prestigious Gentleman 2012 Newfag Patron

Deuce Traveler
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Fucking Russia, man. It keeps moving its borders closer and closer to NATO troops.

• Funny x 10
    • Fishy x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • Grab the minigun, there are demons here to smite x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    I guess it is selfish of me to be more concerned about downloads and access rather than country politics and invasion, but that is my concern.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Morpheus Kitami Liturgist

Morpheus Kitami
    I wonder if in Bloodwych's case its because the procedure to play the extra data disks would have been too much work to set up for a simple emulation job. The only other option is that whoever licenses out Amiga kickstarts asked for too much. (I assume that's the case, since there's no simple solution unlike DOS)

^ Top  
  14. YldrE Learned

YldrE
    The sequel was never released on PC, might as well play both on DuckStation.

^ Top  
  15. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    [​IMG]

• Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Okily Dokily! Okily Dokily! x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    • nice x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    • Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  18. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    Sometimes.... too odd.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Regarding Head Over Heels: I've mentioned this in another thread, but the version includes here is the unofficial 'remake' made by Retrospec in 2003, which made a bunch of other remakes back in the day.

Their homepage still exists, but *mysteriously* doesn't feature or mention Head Over Heels.

As for the Retrospec-version... call me old-fashioned, but there's something off about it. Too many colors, too much detail. Yes, really. It is arguable that one could boot up the original (Spectrum) or one of its ports on an emulator with save-states, and get a very similar experience.

Regarding Switchblade: Switchblade was a pretty big release at the time, mostly because it got ported to a lot of systems. The Megadrive/Genesis-release in particular is a recent port featuring redrawn visuals and a "rearranged" soundtrack, whatever that means.

Regarding Soccer Kid: I'm just seeing it now, but this looks to be of that batch of 16-bit games released in ~1992 which prominently featured food-related sponsorships. Zool with the Chupa-Chups, Push-Over and One Step Beyond, probably a few others.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Filthy Kalinite Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    I think there was one for 7-up. Cool Spot or something like that.

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    I dug a little further more, and found that Sleepwalker (1993) was the official 'Comic Relief'-game for that year, which is this big British charity-thing they do every other year or so. Not exactly a sponsorship, but still a tie-in.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Wyatt_Derp Arcane

Wyatt_Derp
    *glances at front page weekend sales*

Quick question: is gog slowly turning into a mobile gaming store? WTF? I didn't know that 13 yr old Japanese kidnapping victims were their biggest demo.

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Removal Learned

Removal
    depends on the game in question, like the DnD gold box games had their rights all held by individuals, IIRC gog had a big write up at one point about how they had to hunt down grandkids and widows who had inherited the legal rights. Other stuff like PG2 and what not are owned by Ubisoft.
    Once upon a time they allegedly tried to get the Dune games but got shot down by the Frank Herbert estate because they believe the video games damage the commercial value of the Dune name

Gog has gone through the low hanging fruit of older titles and the effort to hunt down rights holders and negotiate with them probably doesn't make sense for them financially. That said their latest "old releases" all feel pretty lazy in terms of manuals and making sure the games actually run.

weeb games sell very well for low upkeep and acquisition costs, especially VNs

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    Kidnapping game? Do we get to kill the kidnapper?

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    GOG sure likes the old lady games lately.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So don your granny panties and get to work gardening.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Old Old x 4
    • feels good man feels good man x 1
    • Okily Dokily! Okily Dokily! x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.