Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Chuck Norris

Augur
A thread for posting any gog related news, new game additions and discussion of the site.
Have fun.

Chuck Norris

Augur
We Love our Gamers. We Love our Games. February is a Month of Love, so it’s a special time for GOG.com, for you, and for all the DRM-free delight that we’re offering. We know that you’re nice to our Good Old Games. We know that they get all the proper treatment on your computers; you play with them a lot, you care for your saves, you hold a special place in your heart for them.

But a single game in your cart might feel lonely. Our games don’t want to be alone in February. That is why we have prepared a special discount for game lovers and loved games.

Get the games together - add at least two full-priced games into your cart and you will get a 10% discount on your purchase. Make it any games that aren’t on sale- they don’t hate or dislike and any other title will make them feel happy and loved.

Here's the discount deal for February. I wish they would write this stuff more seriously. GOG's people sense of humor sucks.

Bruticis

LOL, r00fies, HAHA LMAO you fagz buy old games....Now that we have that out of the way, no need for Skyway to chime in. Let's discuss games you'd like to see on GOG as well. I want the old SSI gold box games for some reason. I have them in 2 or 3 different versions of collections and crap but I want them on GOG. Now, damn it.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
I want Soldiers at War.

Loved that game, too bad the Mplayer support was awful par for the course at the time.

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
Good luck getting that to run on a post-98 Windows system.

spekkio

Arcane
where is my Silver?

On Underground Gamer?
Who fucking cares about GoG anyway. It should be funny to watch GoG-tards reactions when GoG keeps bringing up more and more of the newshit games from dear developers. Comments for 'Desert Storm' are great so far.

Good luck getting that to run on a post-98 Windows system.
There was Dreamcast version as well, where it was possible to use voices AND subtitles at the same time - not possible in PC version.

GoG should change the name to SGObmSNG: Some Good Old but mostly Shitty New Games.

:smug:

Deleted member 7219

I just want Silver up there. Used to have that fucker, but lost the 2nd CD. Goddamn GOG where is my Silver?

I remember that game. Had the demo and played the hell out of it, must have repeated it again and again about 20 times. I was about 9 years old and couldn't afford the full thing. And this was in the days before I had internet.

Would love to play it again. The full game, this time.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They should start a website called BOG... amirite?

spekkio

Arcane
Why the GOG hatred spekkio?

It's normal codexian reaction to newshit. In the past even Torment was considered the best cRPG eva by the Hivemind.
Only recently pople realised that it's shitty jRPG at best.

:rpgcodex:

TripJack

Hedonist
i love gog

i mean who doesnt love giving monies to the copyright holders of games made by developers that no longer exist

Gregz

Arcane
i love gog

i mean who doesnt love giving monies to the copyright holders of games made by developers that no longer exist

This. Every time you guys pay GoG for games that should be in the public domain, you legitimate their business model.

I used GoG _once_ after spending years trying to find a working version of Betrayal at Krondor. GoG created an easy installer that worked on a modern PC, a service I was willing to pay for because noone in the 'scene' could be bothered to fix it.

Home of the Underdogs was around well before GoG, and it works just fine. They've got game descriptions, screenshots, user comments, manuals, and the .exe downloadable. All you need is a rudimentary understanding of D-Fend and Dosbox.

Every time you make a purchase at GoG you are undermining abandonware, and the likelyhood that old games stay free diminishes.

They should start a website called BOG... amirite?

More like GFWIIG, amirite?

Anyway, the most valuable service that all of these services that sell back catalogues (yes, faggotfox, that is spelled correctly...I'm pretty certain catalog is only used to refer to things related to hard sciences) of games is whether or not they work out the kinks that come with modern operating systems. Tried to fuck around with Champions of Krynn a while ago, and while it runs, there's some weird error where it won't save things, even when I mess around with the directories where the game runs from/is located. I'd pay a few bucks for effortless playing of these games, like the Steam X-COM games. Messing with DOSBOX for an hour isn't exactly appealing....especially when I'll be rolling stats for another hour before starting.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Every time you make a purchase at GoG you are undermining abandonware, and the likelyhood that old games stay free diminishes.

But it's a good source for games that are neither abanonware nor available as a legitimate DRM free download or as physical copy elsewhere. Most of the games made in the Golden Age of PC Gaming (around year 2000) fall into that category.
That the likes of EA and Ubisoft profit from it is unfortunate, though.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's your decision.
Do you want to spend five to ten minutes to find the game online and set it up to run on some modern OS or do you want to save a little time and get it from GOG? I'll get it from GOG if those are my two choices; it's hard enough to get certain games to run under certain systems that I just don't want to bother.

That said I still prefer to get the boxed version in some thrift store whenever possible- (and promptly lose it next time I move apartments)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom