Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I loved Bloodnet when I was a kid, but I couldn't finish it. What is the difference between the CD version and floppy? And yeah, GOG needs to release Hell next!

The CD version is fully talkie and there's no subtitles and I think there are some video sequences. We included the floppy version for completeness' sake and for anyone who'd prefer to have the text version instead due to either preference or being hard of hearing :)

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
The CD version is fully talkie and there's no subtitles and I think there are some video sequences. We included the floppy version for completeness' sake and for anyone who'd prefer to have the text version instead due to either preference or being hard of hearing :)
This sucks, I was hoping that it would have music with better quality. I remember the PC music sounded horrible (though it had a specific "charm"), the Amiga version was much better.

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
I loved Bloodnet when I was a kid, but I couldn't finish it. What is the difference between the CD version and floppy? And yeah, GOG needs to release Hell next!

You can actually just turn the sound off at the main menu on the CD version and you'll get the subtitles just like the floppy version. I can't remember if it affects any of the sound effects, though. (I know it doesn't stop the music, and it doesn't affect the sounds during combat which have their own on/off option in-game)

The CDrom version has little pictures on the world map of each location, while the floppy version doesn't. And, yes, the CDrom version has a couple of little video sequences.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron

You can actually just turn the sound off at the main menu on the CD version and you'll get the subtitles just like the floppy version. I can't remember if it affects any of the sound effects, though. (I know it doesn't stop the music, and it doesn't affect the sounds during combat which have their own on/off option in-game)

The CDrom version has little pictures on the world map of each location, while the floppy version doesn't. And, yes, the CDrom version has a couple of little video sequences.

Weird, I didn't know about turning the sound off. Too spoiled by visible options, I guess :)

LeJosh

Savant
Bloodnet? BLOODNET! I love that game, I think I played the abandonia version years ago and really enjoyed what I got through.

Diggfinger

Arcane
So, who has played this? Is it any good? GOG.com has it for $5.99, but it seems quite old-school. Maybe a bit too much so for my taste.

Stumbled upon this lets (NOT!) play of the game, where this dude is moaning about the game alongside two former Micropose employees. Have a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObEzrqhc2yg

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
It is quite nice, it was developed right after Darklands and Phantom of the Opera and has very interesting Vampire meets Shadowrun vibe and it is definetly worth $6

Last edited:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
With Redguard it being not so ancient is one of the main problems. Redguard is one of those strange Windows/Dos Hybrids that are almost impossible to run on a modern system. It uses a Windows installer, Shockwave Flash to display Videos, but is at its core a Dos Program. It uses the Dos way of communicating with soundcards, but a Windows configuration program that lets you choose your sound card and Port / IRQ / DMA. It's the only game I know of that does this.
Some people got it to run under Dosbox, but the game will always crash at some point.
Finished it on DOSBox in 3dfx mode :troll:

It was pretty glitchy, though I think that's the game's problem and not DOSBox. Also, there are ways around the problems with the Windows installer (the Windows config program just writes a pretty simple config file, the game is otherwise purely a DOS game - much like Warcraft 2).

Battlespire is relatively straightforward to run now - provided you patch of course. DOSBox natively supports the weird 15-bit display mode the game uses. You do need a very powerful CPU to run it at max detail with no stuttering.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
JudasIscariot I know that usually you don't answer to these question, but I have to ask so I can sleep at night: Is there any chance that one day GOG will get Majesty HD on its catalogue?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think this is the cheapest Chains of Satinav has been. I got it in the Steam Winter Sale for 4.99 and that was the cheapest I'd seen it before.

:Flash:

Arcane
Some really nice deals there. Got me The Whispered World, Edna & Harvey and Chains of Satinav, because I wanted to have them anyways. And A New Beginning, because it was so cheap.

Coyote

Arcane
Wallace and Gromit any good? Looks like it's going to be removed from GOG soon:

MPORTANT UPDATE: We have been notified that Telltale Games' licence to the Wallace and Gromit IP has expired, and therefore the company is unable to keep their Wallace and Gromit's Grand Adventure title in their offer, for the time being. By extension, we have been asked to remove the game from our catalog, and we are in the process of doing so, and once it's done the game won't be available for purchase anymore. Everyone who has the game in their GOG.com collection by that time, will still be able to download the installer files and bonus content after the removal. The game, however, won't be listed for sale on GOG.com. We apologize for any inconvenience that this situation may have caused you.

Still showing up in the promo for me ATM.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
947463222-00.jpg

I hope you guys like it :)

http://af.gog.com/game/sid_meiers_covert_action?as=1649904300

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow, I'd never heard of that game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covert_Action

Sid Meier was reportedly dissatisfied with the final product, because he believed that the disparate elements of the game, however good they were individually, detracted from game play. As a result, he developed what he called the "Covert Action Rule": "It's better to have one good game than two great games." He described the origins of this rule in an interview with GameSpot:

“The mistake I think I made in Covert Action is actually having two games in there kind of competing with each other. There was kind of an action game where you break into a building and do all sorts of picking up clues and things like that, and then there was the story which involved a plot where you had to figure out who the mastermind was and the different roles and what cities they were in, and it was a kind of an involved mystery-type plot.

I think, individually, those each could have been good games. Together, they fought with each other. You would have this mystery that you were trying to solve, then you would be facing this action sequence, and you'd do this cool action thing, and you'd get on the building, and you'd say, "What was the mystery I was trying to solve?" Covert Action integrated a story and action poorly, because the action was actually too intense. In Pirates!, you would do a sword fight or a ship battle, and a minute or two later, you were kind of back on your way. In Covert Action, you'd spend ten minutes or so of real time in a mission, and by the time you got out of [the mission], you had no idea of what was going on in the world.

So I call it the "Covert Action Rule". Don't try to do too many games in one package. And that's actually done me a lot of good. You can look at the games I've done since Civilization, and there's always opportunities to throw in more stuff. When two units get together inCivilization and have a battle, why don't we drop out to a war game and spend ten minutes or so in duking out this battle? Well, the Covert Action Rule. Focus on what the game is.[1]

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom