Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Going Full Consoletard

LundB

Mistakes were made.
A guy I know owed me some money. He had recently bought a PS3 for his nephew, only to be told 'FUK U UNKUL I WANT PS4 I HATE YOU'. Now I have a pretty much untouched (he played maybe 15 minutes of Last of Us and Destiny before deciding he sucks at video games) PS3. If I hate it, looking at used console prices I can just sell it and make way more than the guy owed me, but I decided to give it a chance.

Since I'm the sort of intelligent consumer who somehow ended up with 1582 games on Steam that I will never ever play, I immediately went and bought a ton of games, some many of which are probably shit (no clue why I got the GOWs when people I trust have said they're pretty much 'baby's first action game'). However now I've slowed down and decided to get some Codex recommendations instead of buying everything that moves.

Games I already got:
Bayonetta
Demon's Souls
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Drakengard 3
Destiny
Folklore
God of War 1-3
Heavenly Sword
Ico + Shadow of the Colossus Collection
Infamous 1-2
Killzone 1-3
The Last of Us
Metal Gear Solid 4
Nier
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Bitch
Ratchet and Clank Future 1-2
Resistance 1-3
Uncharted 1-3
Yakuza 3-4

Are there any other games on the PS3 worth owning? Games that have a PC release I'd prefer to just have the PC version of, unless for some reason it's way inferior (I have a controller), so I guess I'm focusing on console-only games. If they're multiplayer-only I have pretty much 0 interest, since online multi is something I do on PC, and gaming is a mostly solitary hobby for me as I prefer doing other stuff with friends/gf/whoever in person.

Renegen

Arcane
Do not buy God of War 1-3, it's shit.

Actually everything is shit.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah actually you've p. much just committed Codex suicide with this thread.

I mean I own a PS4 but I'd never say anything about buying a shitload of games for it (I only have Destiny).

Nice knowing you.

Tehdagah

Arcane
image.axd

Challenging puzzle game. Plus there's a decent story (such a miracle) and boobs.

Absalom

Yeah actually you've p. much just committed Codex suicide with this thread.

I mean I own a PS4 but I'd never say anything about buying a shitload of games for it (I only have Destiny).

Nice knowing you.
Ironically, LundB would be a superior human as a corpse than you as a living being.

On topic, only PS recommendations I can give are Team-ICO games and Tokyo Jungle.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I thought about going full console-tard but with older things from sega snes nes or ps1. Just have to get around to setting up a game room for all that stuff to go in.

Newer shit just seems so retarded and linear, what were you thinking men.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Vanquish.
Otherwise known as popamole done right.

I would say a good chunk of your list by codex standards is udder shit. I'll just judge the games I've played: Destiny (Borderlands clone with Halo-like gameplay - crap), Resistance 2 (popamole at it's most mundane - crap), Infamous (another boring open world crawl - tedious crap), Ico collection (glorious) and The Last of Us (popamole but with a decent story - YMMV).

I don't have any contemporary games to recommend but on PSN there is the very well made Mega Man 9 and 10 and Contra spiritual successor Hard Corps: Uprising. This is just off the top of my head, I rarely touch my PS3 for anything besides Dragon's Dogma. For which, I'll also say is pretty good.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Play Bayonetta on the Wii U or the XBox 360 if you can, the PS3 version is a horrible port. Some other stuff worth getting is the Metal Gear Solid collection (MGS2, 3 and Peace Walker) and fuck all else.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
As for serious recommendations:

DMC HD collection
Ico/Shadow of the Colossus HD
Metal Gear Solid HD collection (The legacy collection in particular)
Vanquish
The Last of Us

Can also recommend a bunch of weeaboo shit, if that's how you get your jollies. The good stuff, real pure:
Folklore
Catherine
Tales of Symphonia HD
Kingdom Hearts 1.5/2.5

Last edited:

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
You've already got most of the worthwhile shit. Valkyria Chronicles already got a PC port so that's out.

Vanquish is great, as already mentioned.

There's Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls on the PSN store if you're into Nip Wizardries, aka cloning mechanics from 1-5. I got my moneys worth from it atleast.

Some people seem to be head over heels for Red Dead Redemption, so might give that a try. I didn't particularly like it, but I only played for a couple of hours so what do I know.

Resonance of Fate I haven't played, but combining gun parts in a massive grid seems fun in a stupid way.

Red Dead Redemption and Gran Turismo 6 weren't mentioned yet (edit: oh, dude above me just did). GTA5 if you expect the PC port to be utter shit, which it probably will be. Blueballs Blazblue and Soul Calibur 4 for fightan needs (SC5 if you like online). Army of Two for popamole bro-op.

There's also three or four games from the Tales Of series but only weeaboos like those and I am most certainly not one of those degenerates so I wouldn't know anything about the subject

Last edited:

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Red Dead Redemption was just...eh for me. I mean, it's not a bad game, just found that the overworld got really dull really quickly.

Soundtrack's bloody amazing, though.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
At least you won't play any Bethesda games on it due shitty performance.

Demon's Souls
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Would be all games.

What about Ninja Gaiden games? Heard recent titles were full garbage.

Plus - check PSN for some titles, like Wizardry. Or released month ago Brandish: Dark Revenant.
Or wait. Considering your Steam libruly you should avoid PSN then. Even with tiny amount of titles (thanks to fresh generations of consoles making less games and have problem with bringing old titles on PSN due IP and right owners mumbo jumbo) it would be another money sink.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom