Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Golden Treasure: The Great Green - spiritual successor to Choice of Dragon

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
https://www.dreamingdoor.net

Discovered and started playing this a couple days ago, it's really good for what it is. There's a free demo that lets you dick around with the first ~20% of the game or so. I highly recommend giving it a try. I've just tried (and failed) my first real attempt at getting an ending and have 9 hours clocked so far. It has pseudo permadeath: you're given 2 'that was just a dream' chances during a run if you die, beyond that if you die the run is over. You can also get a quick start at the later life stages once you reach them, though obviously you'll be best prepared by starting from scratch.

The actual choices are pretty legit, with right and wrong answers, minor puzzles, and long term consequences for things you do. The writing is very flowery, but in a good way that enhances the atmosphere. The writing in general is pretty good in terms of themes and events unfolding too. I don't want to give many details and spoil it though. Just try the demo, it's a solid representation of the rest of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Damned Registrations

Did another full run through, got a proper ending. Took another 6 hours, even skipping all the stuff I've seen already. Saw tons of new stuff, still things I want to try. Hell, I'm almost tempted to try and get the same ending again just to see some of the other ways I could have gotten it.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Man theres so many choice of games that I was never sure if any of them were good

Earlier choice games were good, then the newer ones went into full-blown sjw territory. They're really difficult to play because of all the confusing gender pronouns (the last one I played was this bs superhero one)

Damned Registrations

Man theres so many choice of games that I was never sure if any of them were good

Earlier choice games were good, then the newer ones went into full-blown sjw territory. They're really difficult to play because of all the confusing gender pronouns (the last one I played was this bs superhero one)
That's sad to hear. I only ever played the first one. This game has none of that shit if anyone's worried about that. It's very open ended as to what values you want to embrace, avoids being preachy.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity

There are a few that are great but most are trash with sjw propaganda. Just try the free demos of the higher rated ones and see if any of them stick with you.

I wish there were more competitors to the Choice people that don't have the mandates and censorship of content, could write some interesting games in this format. Maybe Avellone should do one now?

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
You can also get a quick start at the later life stages once you reach them, though obviously you'll be best prepared by starting from scratch.
I dont think its true. You are better of starting in Part 2.

my powerlevel before death, i farmed part1 till the last second
p8z1QZI.jpg

after restart in part2
ujr75fv.png

1 thing is absolutely fucking killing all my enjoyment of this shit - and its hunting. You have to hunt to eat. It so fucking mindnumbingly retarded... and with qte's .................

Damned Registrations

You can definitely get much better stats (or similar stats but a bunch of powerful loot) by starting from scratch, as you learn to optimize things and uncover all the secrets. And you don't have to hunt that much, there are a lot of other ways to eat. Hunting is generally the least efficient thing you can do, aside from completely wasting time and energy by failing to mine some ore or something. And even a lot of failures can give decent stat boosts.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

There are a few that are great but most are trash with sjw propaganda. Just try the free demos of the higher rated ones and see if any of them stick with you.

I wish there were more competitors to the Choice people that don't have the mandates and censorship of content, could write some interesting games in this format. Maybe Avellone should do one now?

I mean theoretically anyone can write a game with the Choicescript engine, submit it to the company, and as long as it's a decent working game they'll allow you to publish it under their "Hosted Games" label. Only the official Choice of games are filled with SJWisms.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
Spoilers
Finished the game. Overall its disappointing. It starts promising but its an illusion.

Linear in narrative, basically visual novel with picking an ending out of 3.
There are no choices for you to shape the plot/world, you are strung along. You can deplete hunting grounds - but why the fuck would you...
You can start Part 3 poorer but its of absolutely no consequence - except for the secret ending.
The ending is just a choice of how the plot should resolve, whcih is technically gated by your previous choices but I have picked the smart/compassionate type cause I was feelling with my butt that this is some kind of eco-fascim tale - and I was right.
I had the Great Lesson complete so could pick Wisdom ending, I had the Lover-dragon trial done cause I am a tree loving hippie so I could go Compassion Ending and the KillAllHumans ending is default. So for me nothing mattered...

Secret ending requires you to play part 3 three times to get all ending cards to qualify... I aint wasting my time. Look it up at youtube, you aint missing much.
Its also the quest the actually requires certain artifeacts.

Artefacts are all shit. They either add a bit of mastery but not enough to matter. Or they are for combat which is trivial.

Combat is shit. Its looks like card combat with some depth but in practice you spam 1 ability. I used 2 other abilities like 5 times in the whole game. You have about 5*4 of them.
Hunting is cute the first couple of time but horrible the more you do it, I dont even wnat to write about it. Its true that you can get food from quets but first you have to know about them...

There are like 30 animal types for some reason...
I ate 3 through the whole game. Hares, piglets, 'hillbacks'.

You hoard of shiny things does absolutely nothing, well, it boosts your mastries a bit - whoopty doo.
The feathers from defeated dragons do absolutely fucking NOHTING.
I was told there would be dragon fucking - and I should collect a hoard to be kewl - no fucking was had. Furries must be mad!

I would say that I saw 90% of content in part3, about 70% in part2 and 40% (cause I sucked) in part1. So its not particularly replayable.

Quests or encounters. Well most of them are resolved inplace. So there are no consequences, no chaining to them.
You can gain masteries, reputation and artefacts.
You need rep only for the compassion ending.
Arts all suck.
Masteries are a bit tricky. On one hand you need certain threshold to pass checks. On the other hand, failing checks doesnt really hurt much... and gives you oftem masteries.
Masteries also are needed for combat or 1 mastery... but its not particullary hard to get.
So its kinda ambivalent. I cant think of a place on part2/3 where I needed more masteries.
Except for the Spirtitree for the Compassion ending.

So what are teh good parts?
There is some good art in there. Cards are nice. But its uneven.
There is some cute and funny writing in there. I liked the Great Lesson. But its also very uneven.
Its philosophical so if you are 15, it might be impressive.

Overall its disappointing. It starts promising but its an illusion.

If the sequel is in the same vein, would not play.

The credit give you reasons to hate for all team members kek
z6JEaYN.png

The game would appeal more if:
the hoard mattered and was involed in quests
if there was mating
if there were more interaction wtih other dragon on their territories, basically a kind of diplomancy instead of 2 place werhe you go and defeat 2 dragons
if artefacts were more powerful and involved in more than 1 quest
it the combat was better

Damned Registrations

You're full of shit. Pretty much everything you just wrote is incorrect. Honestly it sounds like you missed 80% of the game, assumed nothing was there, and barely managed a single victory path. There's no way you did any of the difficult fights if you were spamming one ability with shitty stats from starting directly in part 3.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
To be honest, I think you are full of shit. I only played this cause I though you aint a moron - turns out I was wrong.
I compared my run to a walktrhough and to a speedrun into the secret ending. I read through the full list of artefacts.
First water attack does dmg based on water, while most other abilities roll with fire, and it counters if rolled vs fire. Enemies love fire. Also water gives you a predictor and air gives a stun. Those are the 3 abilities. Well, I lied, somtimes I would use Charge when the prerdictor told me air is coming.
You can also win the tough fights by spamming fire's power attack - as demonstrated in the speedrun - no thinking required at all.
In part3 I only missed the artist and hence the secret ending as well as the fire dragon trial.
In part2 I didnt do the wolves, a dragon meeting, most arts. And not interested in repeating part1.
How the fug did I barely manage a single victory path when I literally told how to trivially stumble into all 3? What victory paths? Are you on drugs? Did I miss part 4?
What difficult fights? Why are they difficult? Sure, if I guess wrong and my water ability gets countered by air thrice in a dragon fight - than I lose, yeah.

Damned Registrations

How the fug did I barely manage a single victory path when I literally told how to trivially stumble into all 3?

Being aware of the ending doesn't mean you make it through. You need extra things to trigger the various win conditions at the end- including specific artifacts, treasure, stats, having completed previous events, accruing reputation- all the things you claim don't matter at all. You can complete any of the things you claim are what unlocks an ending and still fail to get that ending.

As far as difficult combats:
that depends on how high your stats are, but the trial in part 3, the fight against the possessed human (especially the first encounter without doing the ritual is nearly impossible) and the fight with the badger in part one are all pretty tough. Fights with humans early on are nearly impossible. Lots of larger animals and predators along the way are extremely tough. There's a fight with a bear in part 2 you almost certainly missed that can be nasty. You fought what, Vantage in part 3? He's the biggest bitch of them all and the entire difficulty of the encounter is the traps leading up to it, which you probably read a fucking guide for judging by the rest of your posts.

You're really hung up on the combat and don't seem to give a fuck at all about experimenting and seeing consequences of your actions, so I've no idea why you played this in the first place after trying the demo. If it's not your thing thats fine but don't go lying about how you totally did 90% of the game and nothing mattered when you basically skipped as much content as possible and never even did any extra playthroughs to see how things could go differently.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
You need extra things to trigger the various win conditions at the end- including specific artifacts, treasure, stats, having completed previous events, accruing reputation- all the things you claim don't matter at all.
No you dont! Thats the whole problem.

1. Fire dragon ending requires nothing! Start in part 3 without any shiny things, any artefacts, any extra masteries gained and rest rest rest to the end of the month! Pick fire dragon ending, win 4 fights vs humans. Possible by spamming waters first attack. Spear humans love fire, knife humans love air so spam fire.
2. Backtooth wisdom ending requires only that you complete the Great Lesson which requires you giving Backtooth 20 shiny things. Thats it. The Great Lesson requires NO masteries, no arts, no money. Its all player skill! When you pick Wisdom ending, the Fire dragon objects only! if you have rep with him but Blacktooth saves you anyway! So the wisdom ending requires only that you complete the Great Lesson, and who wouldnt and why....
3. Compassion ending requires taht you complete the Love dragon trial which requires no arts, no masteries, no money. The only thing needed are a couple of Compassion reputation. As I've written before, anyone with half a brain will have a gut feeling that this game is for the compassionate types and go all out for compassion...

And I am full of shit? At least look a walktrhough or something.

(especially the first encounter without doing the ritual is nearly impossible)
Of course you aint gonna believe this but I killed him in 3 attacks without Water even, no ritual, with those stats. THERE WAS NO SKILL INVOLVED, ITS NOT AN ACHIEVEMENT.
lXKfA6O.jpg

I know because in my notes he has a single line of Earth and Fire!
bWGFm60.png

Of course I could edit my notes and lie but it is what it is...

Vantage...walktrhough
Bullshit. I ate all the traps. Still won the fight.
BsafGy7.jpg

It is true that Part 1 can be super tough. Plain animals will kill you.
But Part 2 is NOT - if you restart in it as I did. You know the map!
So you instantly know where the easy piglets are so hunger is out as a mechanic.
You know that Great Lesson costs you nohting basically and gives a lot of masteries.
You can dream with the Crystal Tooth from your mother and get a lot of masteries.
You can roll around the map for easy masteries if you at that point dont have lvl 3 in all to open the Tree which also gives a bunch of masteries.
And at this point, you are home free. Combat stops mattering -> and artefacts as well since all they do is boost combat/masteries.

I know that nothing matters because I restarted Part 2.
You said it in your first post: the consequences are cleartly divided into bad and good.
There is nothing to experiemnt about! Why would you want bad outcomes...
I remember of 3 quests that have longer, non-immediate reach, that is not tied to something like arts or money: forrestfire, wolves, bats.
Bats do nothing but give a bonus in fight vs Whisper.
Wolves are pretty much pointless. Forrestfire is bad.
Part 3 has human interactions that also dont matter much, so you fight a couple of them, at that point its meaningless.

NAME ONE 1 QUEST that is proper CYOA, where 2 outcomes are not binary bad/(neutral)/good?

Is said 70% in part 2. I have not touched what is in Red in that particular run, I didnt because I knew what was there from my aborted clean run and didnt want it! But Ive seen all there is to it. So technically its "100%"
The key was, that I discovered teh Great Lesson late and my part2 timer ran out several times over inside the cave! But this does not end Part 2! You unlimited time in there.
FqHpuHl.jpg

And part 3 is fairly empty. I have not seen the artist quest because I did the Blue dragon late and artist needs several days to trigger but I went to the Love dragon and time ran out.
The only thing I have not seen is the artist and the fire dragon trial. Thats more than 90% seen.
GPjpExm.jpg

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
In comparison Choice of a Dargon has much less scenes but they are significantly bigger with several choices on a singel label
Cv7k8Ft.png

with a bunch of labels
89czYOy.png

And if dont count artefacts, CoaD has arguably a larger state
stats =
{
"name": "",
"brutality": "50",
"cunning": "50",
"disdain": "50",
"gender": "unknown",
"wounds": "0",
"blasphemy": "0",
"infamy": "50",
"wealth": "5000",
"encourage": "0",
"victory": "0",
"clutchmate_alive": "false",
"vermias_killed_axilmeus": "false",
"callax_alive": "true",
"callax_with": "false"
}

So it actually plays like CYOA with diverging cohices. While Golden Treasure (what treasure lol...) is Very Shallow. It feels like this:
a
/ \
ab shit
Neeext event!

Damned Registrations

Of course you aint gonna believe this
I really don't. I've tried that fight multiple times, with much better stats. I've had him 2 shot me. I managed to win the fight only once, just barely.
Bullshit. I ate all the traps.
Again, this seems unlikely. Even one of them takes off like half your health. But hey, maybe you got super lucky with combat.
The artist and the trial are both massive events. The trial involves about a dozen fights in sequence and has multiple artifacts available. The artist requires many days to complete his work, requests 4 different artifacts or a total of 450 treasure, and rewards you with one of the most powerful items in the game. There's a fight against a dragon hunting human you can encounter if you attack them a lot in part 3. The dwarves offer antimatter, another crazy strong item, in exchange for the artifact you can acquire back in part 1 by exploring a large labyrinth. You didn't see 90% of chapter 3. You played through it once. Again, I don't know why you even played this game if you don't give enough of a fuck to do things differently in multiple playthroughs.

Getting the wisdom ending is only a binary check if you have a ton of reputation, did the great lesson, and have no survivor rep. Which isn't a guarantee if you're not following a fucking walkthrough. The actual interactions in it are:

1. After the paragons have made their case, side with Darktooth's Wisdom.

2. Darktooth will react based on your Darktooth Favor.
2a. If your Darktooth Favor is high, he will accept you gladly. Go to Step 3.
2b. If your Darktooth Favor is not so high, he demands tribute. If you can give him 400 Shiny Things, or the Awakened Silver Rod, or the Elixir, go to Step 3.

3. Many-Times-Burned will react based on your MTB Favor.
3a. If your MTB Favor is low, MTB doesn't care. Wisdom ending secured.
3b. If your MTB Favor is mid-to-high, MTB is angered and demands that you stay. Go to Step 4.

4. Many-Times-Burned demands that you offer tribute or join the Great Cleansing.
4a. You have two chances to join the Cleansing and reroute to the Survival ending.
4b. If you give MTB the Living Labyrinth, Darkspine, or Elixir, then you're good to go. Wisdom ending secured.
4c. If you stick to the Wisdom ending and offer no item, go to Step 5.

5. Many-Times-Burned uses the True Song of Destruction on you.
5a. If your Darktooth Favor is high, Darktooth bails you out. Wisdom ending secured.
5b. If you gave Darktooth the Awakened Silver Rod in Step 2b, Darktooth bails you out. Wisdom ending secured.
Otherwise, you must fend for yourself...
5c. If you have 10th level Earth mastery, you can counter with the True Song of Healing. Wisdom ending secured.
5d. If you own and have researched the Darkspine, it protects you from True Song of Destruction. Wisdom ending secured.
5e. If your current Health is at 99+ points, you can just tank it like a boss. Wisdom ending secured. Of course, you probably could have just picked option 5c.
5f. If you try to tank it with anything less than 99 Health, you are killed and lose a Sigil of Life.

But yeah, totally a binary choice. Fuck off. And this kind of branching series of flags potentially connected to things you did long ago is completely normal for events in this game.

Overall, your description of the game is comparable to someone who played Fallout once and then claims it's a shit game with shit combat where all the skills and events except which ones you happened to win with don't matter at all, and you know this because you watched someone else do the same route you did.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, I've played the game many times and gotten all the endings and, if you play "optimally" (get all the animal lore ASAP) you can really make every encounter trivial. I still like the game, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom