Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Console Games (!)

DefJam101

Arcane
I'm not a fan of consoles at all, really. I much prefer PC games both in style and functionality. However, I think that certain consoles do have their merits, and when games are made that utilize those advantages, consoles can hold their own. So, this is a thread about console games. Either forgotten gems, ridiculously old games that run on a household microwave with -5bit graphics, or just plain fun games that can be found on consoles of any type. Try to stay away from the more obvious ones like Psychonauts or games that have good PC ports. Genre doesn't matter, and this is in no particular order:

Panzer Dragoon Series

A tough and somewhat strange rail shooter series (there is also an RPG but that's harder to find than the holy grail these days so forget it) that I always used to enjoy. The entirety of the gameplay consists of piloting a massive flying dragon through increasingly fuckisane levels while the wapanese stereotype girl riding shotgun blasts the shit out of everything with a massive handheld laser. Not very light on plot, but everything is presented in that ambiguous Half Life 1 manner that I know everyone loves so very much. Although the earlier games are restricted by primitive graphics engines, the series is rocking some seriously cool art design at points. Lots of unlockable content, difficulty modes, and branching paths give the series a large amount of replay value for a rail shooter.

G Darius

I've been told that this game is part of an entire series of games and I've repeatedly told those people to go fuck themselves. This is probably the only 'shoot-em-up' game I've ever liked and if you only play one in your entire life make damn well sure that it's this one. It's like those crazy arcade games you used to see in pizza hut where there is one tiny jet fighter on screen versus a hundred thousand flying jellyfish things that shoot homing nuclear missiles out of their tentacles. This game is just flat out better than those games for several reasons:
1. Cool and varying level design with branching paths, some of which are wildly different (I.E. you might be fighting underwater or through an abandoned city).
2. An interesting mechanic where you can capture foes in weird little energy ball things, and then use them against bigger enemies.
3. Another interesting mechanic where your primary weapon--charged using captured minor enemies, btw--is the 'opposite' of every bosses' weapon. If you fire your weapon at theirs, you can steal their energy and fire it right back at the boss. Often this is the only way to defeat bosses on harder difficulty levels.

Metal Arms: Glitch in the System

Easily my favorite game on the XBox. You play as a little robot soldier guy on a planet populated by robots. A very funny, very tight, and very fun game. Not much else to say, buy this if you see it lying in a bargain bin.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
MediEvil was absolutely smashing when it came out.

Armored Core series has managed to be the best mech simulator around these days. It's not as good as Heavy Gear 2, but it's the second best thing. The newest part, 4 Answer, was terrific.

Monocause

Arcane
If you're into the spooky stuff, Fatal Frame (also known as Project Zero) is brilliant.

Ninja Gaiden Black-It's a masterpiece, plain and simple. A deep and complex combat system, varied enemies with tons of moves powered by killer AI strategies, amazing encounter design, and a level of fair challenge unmatched by other games makes for a great experience. One of the few games to benefit from an extended (6 years) development time as well. Only one encounter in the whole game is not fun; the rest of it is game crack.

Ninja Gaiden 2-It's not as polished, but it's faster, more brutal, and even more unforgiving. Nothing much beats being surrounded by fiends, fighting your way through them, and knowing at all times that one mis-step is all they need to seriously injure you, or on Master Ninja mode, one-shot you.

Devil May Cry 3-Deep mechanics, tons of combo/playstyle potential, great enemy design, and a good level of challenge makes this a great title. If you have a gamepad there was a PC port too. Might be kind of shitty, but if you don't have a PS2 (or PS3) it's the only way to try this great game out.

Shinobi-One of, if not the most balanced and fair action games created that has a spine. It's fast, fluid, and intuitive. The mechanics all go together to make for a cohesive experience, and it's one of the few action games with a score system that rewards you for playing in the most efficient way.

Super Mario Bros. 3 - My favorite Mario. Nice music, great gameplay.

Metal Slug - I suppose one of the Contras could be substituted here but the cartoon-iness combined with violence and boss/mecha design made these games for me. "'FFFAATT!" (with jiggling waves of flesh) "HEAVY MACHINE GUN!"

Kz3r0

Arcane
Get ready:
Fatal Frame series PS2/Xbox
Forbidden Siren PS2
Metroid Nintendo DS/Gamecube/Wii
Ninja Gaiden series Xbox
Shinobi PS2 avoid Kunoichi
Viewtiful Joe Nintendo DS/Gamecube
Eternal Darkness Nintendo Gamecube
Silent Bomber Konami PS1
Spyro PS1
Rayman
A game with two lesbians as main characters, 2 episodes, I don't remember the title PS1
(Edit:Fear Factor)
Parasite Eve 1&2 PS1
Ikaruga Nintendo Gamecube/Dreamcast
Shen Mue Xbox/Dreamcast
Vagrant Story Square PS1
This is enoug for now.

Rez. With vibrator attachment. :oops:

Zelda on Nintendo consoles. (Not that crap on the CDi).

Rogue Leader on Gamecube.

Chrono Trigger.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Applegate's Breasts said:
Rez. With vibrator attachment. :oops:
rez-002-small.jpg

http://www.gamegirladvance.com/archives ... rator.html

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Ninja Gaiden Black-It's a masterpiece, plain and simple. A deep and complex combat system, varied enemies with tons of moves powered by killer AI strategies, amazing encounter design, and a level of fair challenge unmatched by other games makes for a great experience. One of the few games to benefit from an extended (6 years) development time as well. Only one encounter in the whole game is not fun; the rest of it is game crack.

Ninja Gaiden 2-It's not as polished, but it's faster, more brutal, and even more unforgiving. Nothing much beats being surrounded by fiends, fighting your way through them, and knowing at all times that one mis-step is all they need to seriously injure you, or on Master Ninja mode, one-shot you.
Fucking this. Playing these games on Master Ninja mode has provided some of the best game experiences I've ever had. Damned good action games. And the boss fights were damned amazing...Well, except for those two giant bloom lighting turtles and that demon guy you fight on the lava pit in NG2. Goddamn.
Shinobi-One of, if not the most balanced and fair action games created that has a spine. It's fast, fluid, and intuitive. The mechanics all go together to make for a cohesive experience, and it's one of the few action games with a score system that rewards you for playing in the most efficient way.
I honestly could never get into this game. There just wasn't enough different combos for combat. And the camera was the hardest enemy in the game, way too jerky constantly causing you to fall to your death. The platforming elements were just god-awful to me, I hated that flooded city level.

Other good console games:
1. Banjo Kazooie series
2. Perfect Dark
3. Disgaea
4. Vagrant Story
5. Bushido Blade
6. Zone of the Enders
7. Warioware Wii
8. Rock Band series (fucking awesome)
9. Dead Rising

DefJam101

Arcane
Dicksmoker said:
The Ratchet and Clank games on PS2. Those games are ridiculously fun.

I only played the first one, and I absolutely loved it. How do the sequels hold up? Is the sense of humor consistent with the first? Judging by the commercials talking about big ass weapons and power, it would seem that they went the way of Jak & Daxter and gave Ratchet the emo-treatment. If this isn't true then I will pick up the sequels sometime.

obediah

Erudite
Some good ones off the top of me head - nothing extremely popular (at least currently) or PC-like.

Shadowrun (Genesis)
Carnage Heart (PS1)
Warhammer 40K (PSP)
Guardian Legend (NES)
Road Rash ( I don't know which version is best )
Warship Gunner 2 (PS2)
Mutant League Football (Genesis)
Baseball Stars (NES)
Nocturne (PS2)
Picross (DS)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom