Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Good D&D artwork

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
dnd1.jpg

:bro:

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Wait...didn't we have a thread like this somewhere?

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Can't seem to find large hi-res versions of these covers. The best D&D book covers, in my opinion.
tsr2159.jpg

tsr2160.jpg

I have a lot of nostalgia for this one, still remember the day dad bought it for us. I liked how small, but steadfast the warrior seems:

basic91box.jpg

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Hmm I wonder if anything leaked.

Art like this:
5WxEnrF.jpg

...won't be in 5E :troll:

Fuck y'all, I'm loving it. Except the last image with the orcsies. That gnoll is sweet!

I'd still rather have this:

keith-parkinson_9146.jpg

keith_parkinson_69.jpg

Keith%20PArkinson.jpg

:P

Two headed, tentacle arm baboon. We need more of those.

Demogorgon.

Demogorgon_has_Vrock_for_Lunch_by_MichaelJaecks.jpg

Demogorgon_by_nJoo.jpg

It didn't help that the way the rules were built, the main way of adding customization to a character was making AN ENTIRELY NEW CLASS GUIZE complete with 10+ pages of stupid power cards. I'm fine with fighter types getting more options but jesus christ. Make some sort of unified Combat Maneuver list similar to spell lists and let the various sword&board classes have access to a subset of it.

Regardless, we're drifting off topic. This is about how shit art has gotten since 2E. I weep for the D&Ders of the future.

Larry_Elmore_02_1024x768.jpg

aleph

Arcane
Ulminati fucking incline, can't brofist enough. That style is so much better than the comicbook art they have nowadays.

I can't find a high resolution version of it, but this Lady of Pain image should have been the box artwork of Planescape: Torment instead of the decrepit Rastafarian smurf:
200289-lady_of_pain_s_crest_large.gif

A miniature sculpture based on it:
DSC_8647-678x1024.jpg

http://thedarkpower.com/blog/?cat=67
In general, Tony DiTerlizzi's art does an amazing job for Planescape setting:

lady_of_pain.jpg

diterlizzi.jpg

Arcanaloth.jpg
:love:

tumblr_maha80dOQe1r3sy6wo1_400.jpg

1317965910979.jpg

ghaele.gif
:bounce:

It's hard to find "the best" artworks, so I'd highly recommend DLing Planescape campaign manual and appendix I+II of monstrous compendium.

Alchemist

Arcane
ZlUyIcs.jpg

I also liked the original cover for DMG but somehow online pics don't do it justice.
I love the Fiend Folio cover but that's not the original art - it appears to be a fan-made remake. Here's the real one for comparison:
mzyzVLX.jpg

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
DnD these days has a few illustrators who are objectively better painters than most of the oldschool guard, like Tyler Jacobson. The thing is, a lot of charm got lost with gradual changes in art direction. You could also see the post 2nd ed DnD as more serious and less goofy, but I agree it's missing something.

Tyler_Jacobson__A_Tale_of_Two_Covers2.jpg
tyler-jacobson-8.jpg

big one:

Legend-of-the-Cryptids-by-Tyler-Jacobson-01.png

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
I think this Keith Parkinson cover for Forgotten Realms is my fav of these older edition artworks. :)

keith_parkinson_forgotten_realms.jpg

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Man, I still have this box. It was my first introduction to D&D and PnP. I remember my dad trying to teach how to play it to me and my brother when we were little kids. It's one heavy metal box art.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom