Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Are these Brutal games really any fun when it takes so long to kill even one enemy?

lightbane

Arcane
All of these shitty "journalists" that complain about the violence in videogames should be given acess to Brutal Doom. It would blow up their minds and go full retard :lol:

Are these Brutal games really any fun when it takes so long to kill even one enemy?

Actually they are, I tried one of the early Brutal Doom versions and the gameplay is very different from the original Doom, you have to be very careful because all enemies deal much more damage than they originally did (but so does you as well). There's also derpy Fatalities working special killing moves when you're in Berserk mode, but these are optional and can be ignored, the game can be played normally.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

Of the things mentioned above, I have tried:

# Knee-Deep in ZDoom (it WILL make you rage. The last level is cool while the other levels are oversized and the keyhunt is extended to 6 keys. The new critters are cheesy as fuck, one of them will insta-kill you in one hit, and not even IDDQD can save you from that.

# Scythe 2. Or maybe it was Scythe 1, don't recall. Interesting set of maps, but way too complicated levels at times, I noclipped through a lot of doors towards the end.

# The Sky May Be. You HAVE to try this, it's made by the guy who wrote "Ultima 9: Ocean travel without a boat", "A Fistful of Ultima 7" and "System Shock: A Complete Mental Breakdown". This WAD is so fucked up it's awesome.

And of course, DoomRL.

I also recommend giving the Aeons of Death mod a try: It's standard Doom with virtually every enemy and every gun from every FPS ever made.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's been mentioned before but back from when the Codex used to play Doom together over Hamachi, my favorite was and still is Alien Vendetta. Beautiful WAD.

Cassidy

Arcane
I really have to recommend Cold as Hell. I did it on the hardest difficulties.

Haven't played something this tense since System Shock 2, and while ammunition becomes abundant after it, in the first level you'll literally have to run because there are more enemies than ammo, and they are both insanely numberful and deadly, commonly "taking one hit kills you"-grade deadly. Of course it is possibly different at lower difficulties. After the first level, it still is a quite tense experience because of how easy it is to die.

tl;dr: Ice, horror and always tense action, but obviously not Prisoner of Ice.

:M

Micmu

Magister
I'm playing Hell Revealed right now (Doom 2 campaign/map pack) for the first time. This shit is absolutely nuts!!!! I'm getting smacked down all the time, keyboard is suffering (from rage-slamming), I'm tilting left and right on my chair all the time.
Even playing with mouse on hurt me plenty difficulty, some late levels are just mega hard. This campaign should be real fun on co-op, too bad I don't have anyone to play with :(

Doom >> ALL

octavius

Arcane
Patron
If you are looking for a nice compilation of Doom 1,2 WAD's I recommend this site.

http://www.doomworld.com/10years/bestwads/

I played them chronologically, and most of them really deserve a playthrough.

I've decided to play them chronologically too.
But I had a hell of a time getting the the first one I tried to work with Doomsday Engine. The documentation is severely lacking, obviously assuming everyone already has played other Doom versions and user made WADs the past 15 years. I played some TCs and megawads 15+ years ago, but I have no recollection of how I got them to work.
The Doomsday Engine manual lists five different ways to load a WAD, but only mentions in passing with one of the methods that you need to Warp to the right map to start the WAD. Finding out how the Warp command works took some time too. Neither the in-game help nor the manual clearly says what the right syntax is, but I figured it out eventually.

The first WAD - UAC_Dead - was not too impressive compared to the ID ones; much openness and emptiness and some area where the FPS took a major hit. But it was a very early WAD so I can only assume things get better.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It takes time to learn how to use effectively tools, such as editor. From a gamer position the beginning era doesn't look much impressive. But with each year there is more and more things that you wouldn't even thought that can be putted in Doom. And they are easier to run ;).

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom