Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

Micmu

Magister
Shit mod is shit.
Hell Knights/Barons are supposed to have green blood and guts, and since when do zombies care for their balls.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I realize I have never played Final Doom ; what's Codex Consensus on that ?

Not quite as good as ID's Doom levels, but good enough, IMO.
I don't remember the details, only that I didn't like as well as Doom 1 Shareware and Doom 2.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
On Ultra Violence rape is imminent if you play single player. Even Ultimate Doom wasn't so demanding from the player. They are good FAN missionpacks, replayed it a couple of times.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
They're tough, that's for sure. Can't remember which one it is, but one of them has a secret level that takes place in a pyramid. In the "original" versions of that .wad file, there's a bug that makes it impossible to complete that level without cheating (something to do with the yellow key).

UserNamer

Cipher
I am afraid he is adding too much useless shit. There were more than enough gory death animations that adding a few new low quality ones doesn't seem so much of an improvement.

Also I want to say that when I play brutal doom on my pc, it doesn't look like shit like it does on youtube videos

Kahlis

Cipher
I realize I have never played Final Doom ; what's Codex Consensus on that ?
TNT is meh Plutonia is great

People circlejerk about TNT because it has custom music, but those maps are a bit too detailed and corridor-esque to be enjoyable to me. The original Plutonia is much more fun to play, although I'd say Plutonia 2 is even more enjoyable because it's somewhat more detailed and has great custom music. It's the PWAD I always suggest to people when demonstrating the style of Doom level design that I enjoy, especially PL2 maps by Gusta like MAP05 and MAP09.

They have a very high level of connectivity and visibility (not totally open but lots of areas looking out onto other areas), and with lots of variation in height and player movement. Many larger Doom maps are tiresome to play through because there's no particularly strong sense of compulsion to move the player forward (this is a whimsical, unconscious quality which I've often used as an excuse for why I'm never happy with my own maps), but in many PL/PL2 maps, you're simply reactively pushed and pulled throughout the entire map by all of the enemies. Got to love the days when player mobility actually mattered in shooters and instead of forcing yourself to explore, you were simply driven to run like a madman through half the level until you oriented yourself/finished killing everything in the immediate area.

Recently played:

Unloved - preety nice idea. You are in old mansion and like in Silent Hill open portals to other dimension, finding keys while progressing through. You return to the mansion and open another portal. Later in the mod, you have to backtrack to finally meet the end. Very good atmosphere, highly recommended. There is also Silent Hill OST and part of the maps look very similar to the Konami game. There are some enemies from Heretic and custom wall textures from Blood and other FPS-es.

q0jDHvB.jpg

a54fpLZ.jpg

Winter's Fury

Cinematic and immersive approach on Doom franchise ;). Levels are large, every weapon is replaced with a custom one, although I think there isn't big change in their power. The icy parts of the surface are a problem at first, and when the enemies are moving toward you it can be really frustrating. But after a while you can get used to it. The bosses have a health bar like in Serious Sam, and they beat the shit out of the player. Constant strafing, spawning mobs all over you. Intensive experience. Oh, and there are cutscenes.

nZgpufb.jpg

The Classic Episode 1
The Classic episode 2

Little wads that tend to be a tribute to the levels made by Id soft. Some of them are changing them, others are completely new. But the number of monsters isn't like in vanilla, so prepare to fight for your life.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I recently played Doom 2 using the Doomsday Engine. I must have played Doom 2 two or three times back in the days, one time co-op with a buddy, but still I couldn't remember much of it. I remembered the room with one Cyber Demon and a small army of Barons of Hell. First time I played the Cyber Demon only needed one shot from my rocket launcher before he went belly up. :D
The Down Town area was a favourite map back then, so I remembered that one well. And the final map was also memorable.
But apart from that it was almost like playing it for the first time.
Sometimes I'm scared how much I've forgotten of the games I played 10-20 years ago, but OTOH it makes replaying them all that more fun.

I played Doom 1 some months ago, but I must say that Doom 2, while it was nothing revolutionary like Doom 1 was, it really improved on the formula (like Chaos Strikes Back did to Dungeon Master), with more monsters (I really hated the Arch-Viles and the floating gas bags spewing forth Lost Souls, and I usually used the BFG on them to kill them ASAP), and better level design; more tight, logical and much room for tricking different monster groups into killing each other.
Is it just me who uses this tactic instead of just killing them all yourself?

Doom 2 original campaign gives a player hints that using monsters vs monsters tactic is highly recommended. Tricks and Traps map has the cyberdemon you mentioned. If they were facing doom guy, it would be more hard, but no, only the big guy starts shooting rockets. There is also map 16 where you grab the key in opened, desolated area and after that all hell breaks loose. Mancubuses, Cacodeamons, imps and many more. I just start the strafe dance and try to save ammo as much as I can. And last, but not least, the map with the giant spider and cyberdemon on platforms. Just a little encouragment and they fight till death. The custom wads, such as Alien Vendetta sometimes take this tactic to highest level, and there isn't any better solution to the waves of monsters.

Too bad that other fps-es don't use this. Even in Serious Sam, which is a shame.

dunno lah

Arcane

Doom 2 original campaign gives a player hints that using monsters vs monsters tactic is highly recommended. Tricks and Traps map has the cyberdemon you mentioned. If they were facing doom guy, it would be more hard, but no, only the big guy starts shooting rockets. There is also map 16 where you grab the key in opened, desolated area and after that all hell breaks loose. Mancubuses, Cacodeamons, imps and many more. I just start the strafe dance and try to save ammo as much as I can. And last, but not least, the map with the giant spider and cyberdemon on platforms. Just a little encouragment and they fight till death. The custom wads, such as Alien Vendetta sometimes take this tactic to highest level, and there isn't any better solution to the waves of monsters.

Too bad that other fps-es don't use this. Even in Serious Sam, which is a shame.

Are there any non-id shooters that have monster in-fighting?

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Yeah. The in-fighting really adds an interesting dimension to the game, and makes Doom more tactical than most FPS'es.
Playing Doom 2 again was so much more fun than playing scripted games like Medal of Honour: Pacific Assault and Quake 4, which are the newest FPS'es I've played, but soon quit.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Half-Life did. Well Half-Life had multiple factions you were up against. Marines and aliens would fight each other. I can't remember if the various aliens would fight each other.

Last edited:

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Bullsquids hunt Headcrabs and Barnacles eat everything in Half-Life, but that's about it.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Half-Life did. Well Half-Life had multiple factions you were up against. Marines and aliens would fight each other. .

That was the best part of Opposing Forces, I recall.
But they were enemies from the onset so not quite the same system as in Doom. Even Oblivion have various factions fighting each other.

If my memory serves right, there was fighting between monsters in vanilla Quake too. But they lacked in numbers, and weren't so epic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom