Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

Curratum

Zahl is quite a personality. The real issue is not his personality, but his handling of the engine, though.

When you listen to him speak about things that have to do with code, you might get the impression he's the most pedantic, most clean and precise and optimization-loving coder on the planet.

The multiple commentaries on GZDoom's current state that I've read from other coders and the performance that I see with my own eyes, feature creep, half-baked things hacked in just because Influential Modder X asked for it, all of this adds up to a pretty messy heap of code.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
fUiVypg.jpg

Done with the Afterglow.
More levels, secrets, characters, references, guns and some variety in there to bring fresh air and not get stale.
Though that new secret weapon had parts hidden in the secret places but no, you get them while playing. It shares ammunition with musket sniper rifle, which can be upgraded with charged shots that are good against riot mutants with shield.
There is another new gun - laser but it's p.expensive to upgrade (450 scraps instead of 300, there's typo in the upgrade station) and you can't get more ammo?
Best level was definitely the secret one
Soviet Submarine "Philadelphia" ;)
it welcomes you with disrupted soviet choirs and then assults with radio communications when shit hits the fan.
Good horror experience.

Now time to regenerate and finish Bloodrite Hedon. I've just reached first hub...

I don't get the hate towards GrafZahl.
Maybe it's because his source port/engine have flaws, they report isssues but he just throw fit for "not getting it", "not being capable to use his masterpiece" or something like that?
It's one thing to use mod made by primadonna, but it's another story to use source port/game engine made by them.
Playing Blade of Agony could be better if not for performance issues, all reports ignored.

Last edited:

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Maybe it's because his source port/engine have flaws, they report isssues but he just throw fit for "not getting it", "not being capable to use his masterpiece" or something like that?
He works on GZDoom essentially for free. Don't like it, don't use it. Who stops anyone from creating some other fork of Zdoom engine without performance problems and bloat? I myself have used Zandronum for some cases.

Also I'm quite sure that Blade of Agony has a share of problems on its own, regardless of the engine

toughasnails

It's not like the most of those making gameplay mods and TCs for GZDoom have to ever exchange a single word with him. Even more so those making maps specifically for GZDoom bc it is enough to know your way around doom builder for that, without having to be able to write a line of code or care about it.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Graf Zahl is a good example since in his outbursts he's called people retards in the past, which if he was anyone else he'd be permabanned from those places. He's probably still assblasted about lilith.pk3 too.
I don't get the hate towards GrafZahl. Is he a cunt sometimes? Sure. Has he driven or ratted anyone out? Not that I've heard of. The guy has a temper, that's all
You don't? Because it sounds like you answered your own question. People tend not to like people who have a tendency to flip out like Graf does. He's done some incredible work with GZDoom, but that suddenly doesn't make him a nice person to be around. Its definitely selection bias on my part, but whenever I read something he wrote, he's always acting snippy about something. I just find it amusing to see his outbursts and how the more politically correct members of Doom forums treat him with kids gloves.

Curratum

Played more of Ashes Afterglow yesterday. This is hard for me to say, as I was Ashes 2063's biggest fan and I expected Afterglow with trepidation for a year. However, I had to godmode it last night due to the prevalence of enemy spam, lack of ammo and just growing tired of some cheap enemies.

The worst part is that another level into it, I just got tired of the levels and had no idea where to do, so I just gave up on it. What I've seen so far features some of the most amazing level design I've ever seen in the engine, but I get too lost in too huge of an area to get an idea of where to go. I usually have no issues with this in large levels, and the flaw is not repetitive or samey design, which also wouldn't be an issue - I never had issues with navigating Wolfenstein 3D's samey mazes.

Maybe I'll give it a rest for a bit and come back to it, at least to see the game to the end, I dunno... The shield pigs and the generally increased sponginess of enemies, paired with the very tight ammo, even when finding secrets, sort of wore me out. Breaks my heart a bit, because I know what insane amounts of work Vostyok put into this.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Graf Zahl is a good example since in his outbursts he's called people retards in the past, which if he was anyone else he'd be permabanned from those places. He's probably still assblasted about lilith.pk3 too.
I don't get the hate towards GrafZahl. Is he a cunt sometimes? Sure. Has he driven or ratted anyone out? Not that I've heard of. The guy has a temper, that's all
You don't? Because it sounds like you answered your own question. People tend not to like people who have a tendency to flip out like Graf does. He's done some incredible work with GZDoom, but that suddenly doesn't make him a nice person to be around. Its definitely selection bias on my part, but whenever I read something he wrote, he's always acting snippy about something. I just find it amusing to see his outbursts and how the more politically correct members of Doom forums treat him with kids gloves.

He also chimps out at people who give him well written bug reports or technical info. Getting angry at useless cunts constantly demanding support is understandable, being a cunt to people with good technical suggestions on how to improve things is another.

For better or for worse, he's another talented autist with an ego the size of china. Such people don't take perceived criticism well, even if it's super constructive and helpful.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Played more of Ashes Afterglow yesterday. This is hard for me to say, as I was Ashes 2063's biggest fan and I expected Afterglow with trepidation for a year. However, I had to godmode it last night due to the prevalence of enemy spam, lack of ammo and just growing tired of some cheap enemies.
Well, people complained that the first episode is too easy. I played it on top difficulty without any problems and ammo was in abundance. So, changes were made

Riskbreaker

Men, this here
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/125500-deadtech-community-project-bv2-update/
is actually worth a look. You can hear crickets in that DW thread and I'd say I know why. The opening map is barely a map and the next one is broken/unfinished. So it's a pretty bad start. But shit gets good from Map03, it being a solid PSX Doom style map. And from Map04 shit gets really good. Fourth map is this huge, non-linear monster with smoothly used 3D geometry and lotsa inventive touches. 06 is another monster, sparser detailing and not as intricate layout as 04 (which may actually be a plus for some), very moody and great looking in its way. It throws semi-slaughtery hordes at you couple of times but it is always possible/preferable to pull out. 07 is done in style of Quake's base maps and, again, pretty good stuff, it actually could pass for a vanilla Quake map.
So pretty good so far, even if the quality drops again 03-07 make this worthwhile.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Started playing Back to Saturn X for the first time, fun WAD with some nice level design and music.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Just finished afterglow. Level design is fantastic and I enjoyed the new weapons and enemies. I felt the talking parts went on for too long and the font is atrocious for reading; All I wanted was to get back to the exploring and shootin'

mogwaimon

Magister
I remember the mod The Community is Falling 3, which depicted the Doom modder community as completely deranged and power-tripping, with Tormentor and Terminus being assholes of the highest caliber here. Granted, that one was a parody, and before the trannies infiltrating everything, but considering how modders usually are, perhaps it has a grain of truth within it. Shame that WAD is boring.

Terminus was one of those modders who was putting anti-Brutal Doom code into his own mods around the time that Sarge was a pariah in the scene for having forbidden words commented in his source code (like, if the game thought you had Brutal Doom enabled you'd get mauled by infinitely spawning invincible revenants).

The man makes some fun stuff, I enjoyed High Noon Drifter in particular, but just from that behavior he definitely strikes me as a primadonna. Even before the trannyfiltration shit was weird in the Doom community; who would have thought that it would happen to Doom of all games? still I guess I've expressed that sentiment before in this thread.

lightbane

Arcane
Oh right, that shit about BD was glorious. Then, when the community got crazier, Termie and others were owned while Sarge is somehow still around in some circles, IIRC.

So far it seems to be true that trannies infiltrate and corrupt as many communities as possible in order to... Spread their misery everywhere until no-one sane is left, I guess?

Wunderbar

Arcane
Anyone played those fan-made Doom 64 ports like "Doom 64 Retribution", etc? Which of them is the most faithful to the original?

mogwaimon

Magister
Anyone played those fan-made Doom 64 ports like "Doom 64 Retribution", etc? Which of them is the most faithful to the original?

I haven't played but IIRC Bethesda hired the Doom 64 EX port guys to do the official Doom 64 port and so the official port is basically the same as Doom 64 EX but with jumping/vertical mouselook permanently switched off among other things. I imagine that would be the most faithful to the original since Bethesda hired the guys to do it. in fact, here's their blog, including a post where they describe the differences between the final D64 EX version and the official port in detail https://doom64ex.wordpress.com/

Wunderbar

Arcane

I haven't played but IIRC Bethesda hired the Doom 64 EX port guys to do the official Doom 64 port and so the official port is basically the same as Doom 64 EX but with jumping/vertical mouselook permanently switched off among other things. I imagine that would be the most faithful to the original since Bethesda hired the guys to do it. in fact, here's their blog, including a post where they describe the differences between the final D64 EX version and the official port in detail https://doom64ex.wordpress.com/
i wanted to play Doom 64 with animated shotguns :negative:

mogwaimon

Magister
well there's no harm in that, of course. tbh I did own Doom 64 back in the day and if you want the real authentic experience you'd need to play it with the janky terrible N64 analog stick to truly appreciate it, kek. just play the port that gives you the features you want and have fun with it man

Zeem

Learned
I remember the mod The Community is Falling 3, which depicted the Doom modder community as completely deranged and power-tripping, with Tormentor and Terminus being assholes of the highest caliber here. Granted, that one was a parody, and before the trannies infiltrating everything, but considering how modders usually are, perhaps it has a grain of truth within it. Shame that WAD is boring.

Terminus was one of those modders who was putting anti-Brutal Doom code into his own mods around the time that Sarge was a pariah in the scene for having forbidden words commented in his source code (like, if the game thought you had Brutal Doom enabled you'd get mauled by infinitely spawning invincible revenants).

The man makes some fun stuff, I enjoyed High Noon Drifter in particular, but just from that behavior he definitely strikes me as a primadonna. Even before the trannyfiltration shit was weird in the Doom community; who would have thought that it would happen to Doom of all games? still I guess I've expressed that sentiment before in this thread.
I remember the golden revenants in Demonsteele and meat shotgun in HND. According to Term it was due to a lot of retards submitting bug reports after trying to run Demonsteele and BD at the same time, despite the mods being completely incompatible.

toughasnails

He repented and joined the inner circle.

IMG-20211113-232207.jpg

I'm not getting that from the pictured comment... He's just pointing out how much the things changed in a relatively short time and I think he might be even pointing out the double standard bc the two new Machinegames Wolfensteins, especially the sequel, are often extolled by the sort of people who claimed offence at BoA E3.

I think what Terminus said about his break with Doom community might be applied to what happened with BoA and Tormentor. Too many envious and petty people waiting for the first occasion to backstab anyone who gathered some clout in the community. Politics were just a handy tool.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Ashes Afterglow is awesome. Really digging the central hub and more open style of objectives.

I enjoyed the original but this feels like an improvement in every way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom