Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

NerevarineKing

Learned
I've been playing a bunch of classic Doom. I played Back to Saturn X Episode 1 and I really enjoyed it. There were some fun maps/encounters and the quiet intermission maps were a nice touch. Then, I replayed D1, D2, and Sigil on Ultraviolence and it was a lot of fun although D2's base campaign does drag at parts. Next, I decided to play Master Levels of Doom 2 and it was decent enough. The maps were a bit hit or miss, but there was some good content in there. Now I'm trying Ancient Aliens and it's really interesting so far.

lightbane

Arcane
Impie released his latest creation, a playable 80s B-movie where toys with AI go crazy and attack people, because someone inserted SJW "laws" inside the toys, which made them go crazy due the constant contradictions (seriously, the background diary included in the manual is a treat).
Oddly enough there's NO gameplay videos or anything so far, at least in Youtube, even though other Doom mods got those quite quickly. I suppose impie's content is now considered forbidden by the woke crowd?

https://mikestoybox.net/doom-maps/

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

Riskbreaker

For sure, both them and the architecture of their respective arenas.
Also, what with both their visual designs and the bullet hell aspect to fighting them, I suspect that someone here is a fan of Nier.

Lagi

Savant
CountryCide

Just finished this one, sound design is phenomenal. Thanks for the recommendation.
How do you progress past this Cthulhu, floating through walls, monster?
i was trying "shoot till his dead" but doesnt seems to works. Is there somewhere some magic weapon that i suppose to find? Or should i do something clever?

this is the best doom mod i ever play - great ambient, fantastic decorations on maps

Alphons

Cipher
I was randomly browsing Kiwifarms Doomworld thread and found a download for Sonderkommando. Hopefully it works.
https://files.catbox.moe/kahcqi.zip

For those that don't know, Sonderkommando was an unfinished Wolfenstein TC about a concentration camp prisoner gaining freedom blasting his opressors.
The author DoomJedi was blasted by the usual suspects for anti-semitism despite the protagonist and DoomJedi both being Jewish. Sonderkommando was cancelled.
DoomJedi joined Tormentor on Blade of Agony and was very against repeating his mistake and censoring the Holocaust stuff.

Some old screenshots, gore
images.jpg

images-1.jpg

Edit: It works out of the box, 32 levels campaign plus 10 bonus levels.

Last edited:

Lagi

Savant
I would give it a shot, but from screens it doesnt look like an interesting mod. Rather shock effect because of political correctness.

Alphons

Cipher
Played first 3 levels and it's basically Wolf 3D with loads of guts and blood. Blade of Agony was a lot tamer, but it's basically nothing next to nuWolf.
Still worth saving for it's rich history.

If anyone's interested, here's a really thorough article about the controversy:
https://wl6.fandom.com/wiki/Sonderkommando_Revolt

Some choice quotes:
The mod is partly based on real WWII events revolving around the Jewish Sonderkommando, which rebelled in Auschwitz. According to Doomjedi the mod was also a way to rework his suspected past life of being a prisoner before being executed.

On 8. December 2010, the infamous teaser trailer [8] was uploaded on YouTube by LunaG[9], who also created the trailer. Despite being openly featured for years on ModDB the trailer caught, about a day later, the attention of the gaming news outlet Kotaku, which in turn contacted Doomjedi by email and made a full article about the mod giving it one of the now infamous nicknames, "The Concentration Camp Video Game".

In just a span of a few days media all over the world, and the Anti-Defamation League caught wind of it turning it into a witch hunt. Some of the big focus points made were the question about historical accuracy, the distortion of facts and if such type of game should exist at all. After 2 weeks of DoomJedi delaying local reports of it, news appeared locally in DoomJedi own country and spread like fire, reaching all of newspapers, TV news, his workplace, bosses (with interview and clarification requests), colleagues, family and friends, causing him severe stress and discomfort, even such that could endanger his job. He even got a prank radio call directly to his workplace (despite workplace trying to block those to protect him) that ended with him being live on a very popular Israeli radio ("Shai and Dror" prank radio show).

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Day of the toys is pretty fun. Short punchy levels with a nice variety of weapons and enemies.

toughasnails

Some choice quotes:
It's interesting bc this stuff is p obviously in line with exploitation movie treatments of WW2 theme, from 60s to Inglorious Basterds... But, as always, those who are most vocal about the need to recognize video games as art form tend to hold them to a different set of standards that than any other form of media.
And then there's the question of double standards within the video game space, people whined about the humor in BoA's concentration camp level and the tonal incongruence (prisoner in outhouse as a comedy relief while in the sleeping area next to him there were corpses of prisoners who were starved or tortured or whatever). But this tonal mess was inherited from MachineGames' Wolfensteins where many defended the writing (Brutal Doom's dev pointed out these double standards, how Tormentor was accused for being a transhphobe while a MachineGames guy who did something that actually warranted such accusation was conveniently ignored by the same community).

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Dayyālu

Arcane
Sarge has almost the tradition of starting stuff he'll never finish. The laundry list is huge, from Brutal Hexen to the Viet mod to this....

Curratum

The joke is that Vostyok pretty much made and released a whole game by himself, without any of the drama.

Riskbreaker

The joke is that Vostyok pretty much made and released a whole game by himself, without any of the drama.
It's as if he's got a magical shield of wholesomeness that repels it.
You remember that OGAY thing from Ion Fury? At some point after that drama, a batch of new screens from Afterglow was posted on Doomworld and zdoom forums, one of them being a screen of what looked like a warehouse with prominent OGAY logo. When I saw that, I thought "now he's done it, I know exactly how these people function and what is coming now."
Happily, I was wrong. Teh drama did not, in fact, ensue.

Anyway, I really gotta give some attention to Hedon sooner or later. I had it on Steam for some time now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom