Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

Alphons

Cipher
Recently I've been playing Doomer Boards Projects.
https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doomer_Boards_Projects

Basically every month for the last 4 years project lead creates a theme and new assets and then contributors create the levels with it. On average each episode has around 12 levels, so they don't overstay their welcome.

I've just finished last one from 2019, so 19 episodes out of 50 and we'll see if they keep the quality.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
After seeing that Nuts!-video, I'm curious... exactly which Doom sourceports remove the limitations, so that the wad can be played properly?

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Just finished Ashes 2063 and damn, I want Underdoom/Doomrail now.
Great stuff.
You're in for a treat with Ashes Afterglow, it's everything a sequel should be and more.

Also, don't forget to play Dead Man Walking.

And if you're looking for something similar then Hedon is another fun Doom-based game to play through.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
After seeing that Nuts!-video, I'm curious... exactly which Doom sourceports remove the limitations, so that the wad can be played properly?
The Doom wiki has an article and a list of them. The TL;DR of it is...basically anything you're likely to be using these days.
Interesting. Because I've been using one of the named ports... and it doesn't do its job... to the point that some maps that 'only' have ~2800 baddies chug at a sub-optimal framerates until most of them are dead.

I'll probably have to tamper with some settings, but at least I have a point to start from now. :salute:

Interesting. Because I've been using one of the named ports... and it doesn't do its job... to the point that some maps that 'only' have ~2800 baddies chug at a sub-optimal framerates until most of them are dead.

I'll probably have to tamper with some settings, but at least I have a point to start from now. :salute:
Limit removing just means that the map won't either crash or have graphical artifacts (from things not displaying properly). It says nothing about performance.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Recently I've been playing Doomer Boards Projects.
https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doomer_Boards_Projects

I've just finished last one from 2019, so 19 episodes out of 50 and we'll see if they keep the quality.
You're in for a treat, there are some absolutely fantastic ones coming up. I haven't played them all but I have liked DBP23 and DBP26 from 2020. Then in 2021 you have DBP37, which is so good it got a mention at the Cacowards despite the hatred between DW and DB. There's also DBP42, which is really cute for being a Chex Quest themed one. In 2022 I really liked both DBP47 and the most recent one, DBP50. Honestly the only one that's really, genuinely awful is DBP48, everything else is at least ok and some are stellar. There's also a ton of variety, depending on the kind of theme and gameplay you like.

The Doom wiki has an article and a list of them. The TL;DR of it is...basically anything you're likely to be using these days.
Nuts and its ilk tend to be unplayable on GZDoom because of the way it reads actors, the same flexibility that allows it to have it so malleable also makes it choke on maps with thousands of enemies firing at you all at once. I think I've played Nuts with Eternity and that works very well, I'd guess Woof, PrBoom and DSDA-Doom will also work flawlessly.

Denim Destroyer

Learned
Upon hearing of the release of a new /vr/, 4chan's retro video game board, megawad I immediately decided to give it a try. Titled 512 Linedefs of /vr/, the theme is all maps are limited to 512 linedefs thus making each map small. As a fan of size limited wads this one does not disappoint. Due to the size you can easily knock out this megawad in an afternoon depending upon your skill or dedication.

ferratilis

Magister
Crispy Doom was updated a few days ago, including improvements for Heretic and Hexen as well.
https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/releases/tag/crispy-doom-5.12.0

Crispy Doom 5.12.0​

Latest

@github-actions
github-actions released this 4 days ago
· 1 commit to master since this release
crispy-doom-5.12.0
4d416c7
New Features and Improvements
  • Add mouse smoothing when running uncapped. (by @mikeday0)
  • New icon designs for all games and the setup executable (by @kiwaph).
  • Brightmaps now working on mid-textures of two-sided lines (by @JNechaevsky).
  • New stats widget option: above status bar.
  • Many automap improvements: (by @JNechaevsky and @mikeday0)
    • New mouse button bindings for zoom, max zoom and follow.
    • Pan/zoom faster by holding run button.
    • Use overflow-safe map coordinate system from prboom-plus.
    • Apply frame interpolation to automap rendering when running uncapped.
Bug Fixes
  • Ensure mouse sensitivity values are always initialized to defaults.
  • Fix clipping issue when jumping in Doom.
  • Fix cutscene rendering in truecolor in Doom.
  • Fix potential Heretic crash on x64 systems.
  • Armor icons now drawn in correct locations in widescreen for Hexen.
  • Fix screen border glitch after leaving automap in low res mode in Hexen.
  • Fix shuffling of items on automap after loading savegame.
Crispy Doom
  • Support up to 8 pages of savegames.
  • Brightmap now applied to SW2HOT texture (by @JNechaevsky).
  • Improved brightmaps for SILVER3, COMPUTE2 and COMPUTE3 textures (by @JNechaevsky).
  • Player arrows in multiplayer games now also interpolated and rotating with correct angles (by @JNechaevsky).
  • Fix incorrect demo timer value and demo bar lenght in multiplayer demos (by @fabiangreffrath, @JNechaevsky and @rfomin).
  • Status bar showing values and face of choosen player in multiplayer spy mode (by @JNechaevsky).
Crispy Heretic
  • Remove ambient sound limit.
  • Add automap overlay and rotation (by @mikeday0).
  • Add PWAD autoload directories (by @mikeday0).
  • Add brightmap support (by @JNechaevsky).
  • Add mouselook support (by @mikeday0).
  • Add automap mousewheel zoom and mouse panning (by @mikeday0).
  • Add automap grid (by @JNechaevsky).
Crispy Hexen
  • Fix tutti frutti and add DeePsea tall patch support (by @mikeday0).
  • Add uncapped framerate option (by @mikeday0).
  • Add automap overlay and rotation (by @mikeday0).
  • Add PWAD autoload directories (by @mikeday0).
  • Add mouselook support ((by @mikeday0).
  • Add brightmap support (by @JNechaevsky).
  • Add key toggles for autorun and vertical mouse movement (thanks @rxhxiii).
  • Add automap mousewheel zoom and mouse panning (by @mikeday0).
  • Add automap grid (by @JNechaevsky).

CHEMS

Scholar
Didn't bother to read the whole thing, so sorry if i recommend shit that's already posted. My fave ones in no particular order:

Going Down: it was made by an actual artist! The difficulty curve is really impressive, and the maps are the most creative use of the games assets i've ever seen. Played this on Vanilla, but had great fun playing through this thing using the Clusterfuck mod. Note that mods that randomize or add monsters may fuck up the last level spawn.

Sunlust: i think this one got a cacoward, beautifuly done wad, very hard specially at later levels. A must play for any doom fan.

Japanese Community Project: a project made by the japanese community. One of the most beautiful wads i've ever played.

Congestion 1024: every map on this wad is 1024x1024! Claustrophobic shit, but in a good way. I tried this with brutal doom many years ago, it was... interesting.

Hell Ground: that's my favorite doom wad right here. Best atmosphere and great soundtrack. There are 5 levels in it, all of them are big. Features some nice tricks and scripted stuff i've never seen in any other doom wad. I wish i could forget about this one and play for the first time again.

Toilet of the Gods: slaughter maps, very hard. Don't recommend to newbie players that aren't used to advanced infighting techniques. It's pretty much required to go through this. There's a turquoise custom pallete, feels very refreshing.

Holy Hell: HUGE single level slaughtermap. I completed this one once without dying!

Deus Vult II: another classic slaughtermap set, this one is beautifully done.

Demon Defense: this one is a litte different because it's a wave defense mode wad. You can pick one map and fight through hordes of enemies and bosses. Features custom monsters, powerups, traps, weapon boxes (like those from Call of Duty) and even a jukebox that you can change the map's music, you can kill shit while listening to a MIDI version of Never Gonna Give You Up.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hexen - Realms of Cronos

When it comes to Hexen, people tend to complain about the cryptic puzzle / door opening sequences. When you are going through without any long pauses, you don't see it. But sometimes you can miss one button, or not see one in the dark corner of the location. While trying RoC I was just waiting for my first time, when I will just be going in circles starting to loose my patience. But to my surprise there wasn't a single moment like that. There is a central hub, from where we traverse to various smaller levels to solve a part of the main puzzle. For me the flow between fighting/puzzles/key seeking was perfect. I've used Walpurgis mod, which has received some updates, and it spiced up the fighting any overall the enemy encounters felt more interesting and harder. I've finished it in less than 6 hours, so for a mod, which was really polished and designed carefully, it's a perfect length. This is how you should do a proper Hexen addon.

gzdoom2022-09-2413-37i8e3o.jpg

gzdoom2022-09-2413-48xhiu1.jpg

gzdoom2022-09-2415-075yf9z.jpg

gzdoom2022-09-2414-1961ef9.jpg

gzdoom2022-09-2414-27ecihj.jpg

gzdoom2022-09-2414-41gyffx.jpg

gzdoom2022-09-2419-04srizl.jpg

gzdoom2022-09-2419-09wxiki.jpg

gzdoom2022-09-2419-144rdfx.jpg

gzdoom2022-09-2419-16stih0.jpg

gzdoom2022-09-2419-42txf62.jpg

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I HAVE COMPLAINT

THIS THREAD NEEDS PINNED

KICKSTARTERNIS NOW CUNTSTARTER AND FUCKING STUPID GET RID OF THAT USELESS SHHIT

DOOM IS A TIMELESS CLASSIC AND I GET SICK OF THAT THREAD GOING TO THE SECOND PAGE

BROS DOOM AND MODS SEPERATE CIVILIZED HUMANS FROM THE CONSOLE UNDERCLASS

toughasnails

Nash has his own commercial GZDoom FPS coming up, this one is much more Quake inspired

I have no idea if his Silent Hill 2 inspired survival horror game is still in development or if he dumped it for this, it looked considerably more interesting to me (although I remember the people here not being too impressed).

There's a demo now.

Curratum

Nash is a very talented scripting guy and has produced a lot of wonderful addons for Doom, but art is just not his strong suit...

Lagi

Savant
i think DIsdain art looks good. The problem is the lack of theme (GRAVEN looks tasty, and the theme is crispy f.ex). It feels (from yt, didnt play it) like generic shooter nr 123512.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom