Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good gaming channels on Youtube?

Blaza

Educated
He's OK. Comments are available on his utreon account https://utreon.com/c/harvester/

What the hell is utreon? I saw his channel on Odysee (he only has comments on other platforms, because he finds the youtube community shitty. Fair enough.) and I'm aware of most other Youtube alternatives but I haven't heard even a whisper of utreon.

I can't remember if it was this thread or the Ys thread I saw the History of Falcom video from this guy, but in general he makes documentary style videos about Japanese games.

7h30n

Augur
He's OK. Comments are available on his utreon account https://utreon.com/c/harvester/

What the hell is utreon? I saw his channel on Odysee (he only has comments on other platforms, because he finds the youtube community shitty. Fair enough.) and I'm aware of most other Youtube alternatives but I haven't heard even a whisper of utreon.

As far as I can tell, Utreon is yet another youtube alternative, like Odysee.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Honestly, I haven't found a better channel for covering SRPGs, and he's got some "controversial" opinions like completely trashing Final Fantasy Tactics (and just now trashing Banner Saga). I think he'd fit rather well here on the 'dex.
Not really.The banner saga video is a joke where he just bitches about the initiative system and the game being a walking sim.
In the codex banner thread there are people advocating for the initiate system with decent arguments.

He is more typical chan then codex.Surface level critique without really understanding the systems.
Also comparing void spire to breach(which is practically a puzzle game in disguise ) should be punishable by law.

Blaza

Educated

As far as I can tell, Utreon is yet another youtube alternative, like Odysee.

Ah that's it? I figured it would have a gimmick or something. Like Odysee's blockchian shit.

If you care about shoot em ups The Electric Underground is a pretty great channel.

Derringer

Prophet
If I know gaming, it's probably 9hr to say the first one was best.
The first one was an old 80s Japanese PC game, the first NES game is basically an arcade remake. Bomberman 94 is one of the better ones but I enjoyed playing most of the early console releases.

Baron Dupek

Arcane

That's... unexpected.
IIRC it was on the Mandy's list but with his speed and preferences (rarely touch hidden gems) it was unlikely to happen.
edit - watched it, quite a bit of missing content in ENG version

Last edited:

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth

That's... unexpected.
IIRC it was on the Mandy's list but with his speed and preferences (rarely touch hidden gems) it was unlikely to happen.

i was gonna post this but you beat me to the punch. warlockracy is one of my favorite video game essaysts because he'll do games no one else would dare to touch

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
the english translation in dungeon cleaners/planet alcatraz is complete dogshit if compared to the original. it doesn't have any of its bite, but russian prison jargon is exceptionally hard to translate (and impenetrable to most native rus speakers that haven't been in the joint)

Humanophage

Arcane

That's... unexpected.
edit - watched it, quite a bit of missing content in ENG version

My favourite intro in a game:

That said, Goblin has declined considerably since then and turned into a mostly pointless vatnik. Sad.

Baron Dupek

Arcane

This guy deserves more views and subscribers.

Strange, didn't received any videos from him since Shadow Company only to find out my sub was missing...
Have both SC and 9th Company installed now, played a bit and they are fine but it's hard to come back.

edit
MMO/RPG (and some old classics as a bonus) expert? about old fossil by modern standards

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist

Not a good channel by any means, but its interesting to see one of the worst influences on modern gaming almost realize they're one of the worst influences on modern gaming.

Marat

Arcane
Wumao

That's... unexpected.

i was gonna post this but you beat me to the punch. warlockracy is one of my favorite video game essaysts because he'll do games no one else would dare to touch

Hey, it's that game Ol' Willy based his personality on.

Hobknobling

Learned
Not a good channel by any means, but its interesting to see one of the worst influences on modern gaming almost realize they're one of the worst influences on modern gaming.

15 mil subs

:what:

I had a very idealistic and positive thoughts about the Internet before Facebook and smartphones opened the floodgates. I thought that finally we are getting rid of the top-down content policing of media and the average consumer will appreciate originality. Constraints will be lifted and people will learn to pick higher quality content.

This has happened to some degree, but I didn't realize that the vast majority of people actually enjoy being told what to consume and prefer familiarity and click-bait over more subtle forms of expression.

Riskbreaker

'Twas never so save in the projects of delusional sylicon valley techies and their fellow travelers overstuffed with the dreams of decentralisation and jolly rhizoma. Finite human "subject" needs their roots and stable framework to act from. Evershifting horizons and the chaos of fluid images sliding upon the flat glacis of cyberspace lead not to free self-creation, an expressivist utopia, but rather to collapse into amorphous mush, into excrement wherefrom a skilled alchemist may perhaps draw gold but if so then not on account of will and work of said excrement. Indeed the unmoored excrrment hapilly embraces whatever ideology proffered them as the source of some stability.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Eeehhh... from that "worst influences" i expected something about how many games rely on established gameplay theory without any changes that tend to make them very formulaic by following what everything else does, but this video is really just about some indie devs working on early access and/or episodic games changing their lore to get youtubers show their games or because youtubers guessed some reveal, twist or whatever they wanted to have, which IMO is way far from "worst influence" on modern games and not even restricted to games (which even the guy in that video seems to acknowledge by having a clip by GRRM near the end about the topic).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom