Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good non-action horror adventure games

Arryosha

Learned
By "non-action," I mean a game that depends in no way on coordination. So, Silent Hill and Amnesia would be out. I'm flexible on what counts as horror. Basically, I'm looking for disturbing without stress. It could be an f-ed up murder mystery, or just really weird, like Sanitarium. Not really looking for comedy, like Grim Fandango. Thanks!

Boleskine

Arcane
Some that come to mind:

The Cat Lady (and Downfall + Lorelai)
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
STASIS
The Black Mirror trilogy
Phantasmagoria 1 & 2
Harvester
Bad Mojo

Games not sold on digital storefronts:
Amber: Journeys Beyond ;)
Blackstone Chronicles ;)
Dark Seed ;)

Arryosha

Learned
Some that come to mind:

The Cat Lady (and Downfall + Lorelai)
STASIS
The Black Mirror trilogy
Phantasmagoria 1 & 2
Harvester
Bad Mojo

Games not sold on digital storefronts:
Amber: Journeys Beyond ;)
Blackstone Chronicles ;)
Dark Seed ;)
These are just what I'm looking for, thanks.

I forgot about phantasmagoria. I bought that on release. It came on like 10 CDs. I remember playing a demo of bad mojo on one of those pc gamer CDs.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
devotion, detention, still life (not sure if this was horror)

from those already mentioned cat lady is my favorite

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Last Half of Darkness is a pretty nice little title, though a bit style over substance. You can find it on most shareware and abandonware websites.
...A Personal Nightmare is pretty good. That said, you should be warned the game is on a timer, a generous one, and there are situations in which you have to have type something while under the threat of death. That is...somewhat generous. Its definitely on the harder side though, but nothing unreasonable.

I'm not sure Harvester would qualify as non-action. Because I remember that Harvester has a lot of action scenes towards the end. For instance if you think Personal Nightmare is too much action, Harvester definitely is.

Nicebrain

Educated
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Maybe "Cognition An Erica Reed Thriller". The minigames do break the no action/coordination thing tho (they are not very hard).
Some parts better than others, good soundtrack, terribel minigames, but I hate minigames so...
Did finish it so cant be all that bad

Parsifarka

Arcane
Avoiding those already mentioned, Dark Fall is one of the very best Myst-clones I have ever played, set in a haunted abandoned hotel; The Lost Crown by the same developer is an excellent adventure about murder mysteries and ghosts in a foggy British village, perhaps more dreamy than horror due to the main character being prone to take things lightly (not a comedian though) but the atmo is thick and deeply intriguing and the spooky moments rather thrilling anyways.
Dracula: Resurrection and its sequels are classic Cryo horror themed adventures, quite lovely though the third one really spikes up the challenge of the puzzles; Necronomicon: The Dawning of Darkness has those charming prerrendered visuals too but the gameplay maybe has more than the usual jank you would expect from Cryo and the Steam version is or at least used to be bugged requiring a fix some player uploaded.
This very weekend I finished Darkness Within: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder which is a gorgeous adventure inspired by Lovecraft, Machen and the like, and it has a sequel I haven't played yet.
Scratches is another stunning Myst-like set in an old manor house where something terrible has happened, with a touch of curses passed down by a violent ancient people living in the wilderness and worshipping terrible gods; nowadays it's regarded pretty much as freeware by the developers themselves so I provided a link to download.
I'm not sure if they meet the criteria as the supernatural is very subdued but they are really good and Frogware's Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened deals with Lovecraftian commonplaces and Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper offers a surprisingly dark and violent view of Whitechapel's smoggy streets.
There's also that very brief Dagon free "game" in Steam, which looks great and depicts what you would expect from the title; imagine it as a picture book in which every scene is rendered in 3D with full detail rather a proper adventure as there are no puzzles whatsoever.
There's probably more I've played as I have fallen in love with this niche, but right now the only other one that comes to my mind is Barrow Hill which I have in my library but haven't played yet, looks like another sweet, spooky Myst-clone.

wishbonetail

Learned
Some are horror themed, some are with action or stealth elements, some are just disturbing or weird:
Nightmare Frames
Penumbra 1,2
Jorry
Observer
SOMA
CAYNE
Charnel House Trilogy
Fran Bow
If on a Winter's Night Four Travellers
Land of Crows
Oxenfree
Saint Kotar
The Last Door
True Fear: Forsaken Souls
Tormentum: Dark Sorrow
Rusty Lake series
Little Kite
Sally Face
Football Game
Chronicle of Innsmouth
Blind Prophet

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Shadow of the Comet
Clock Tower (snes)
5 Days a Stranger
Post Mortem
Gabriel Knight 1&2

From the ones already mentioned:

Darkness Within: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder
Harvester
Downfall
Stasis
Tormentum: Dark Sorrow

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I honestly don't know any titles but I know there's a bunch of japanese horror VNs. Added bonus they all have sexual content in addition to gore in them. :happytrollboy:
If you can stomach anlme art, maybe it's worth checking out.

toughasnails

Has the classic English ghost story feel, in fact if you ever read M.R. James there is one p involved segment where you'll p much feel like one of his scholarly protagonist, iirc you have to communicate with a ghost and in order to do so you'll have to dig through family genealogies, use zodiac and so on... In fact the game has some p demanding puzzles, it even gets arguably a bit too open and convoluted at one point.

V_K

Arcane
Seconding Goetia, was one of the best and most memorable Adventures I've played. The sequel is, unfortunately, not as good - it's still a solid game with decent puzzles and beautiful art, but smaller and less open, with a worse story.

Depending on your definition of horror, The Council might qualify - it's more of an occult mystery without many visceral scares, but the atmosphere can be quite creepy.

toughasnails

Morpheus Kitami
You remember Daymare Town? It was easily my favorite of these flash horror adventure series back in the day, incredible atmosphere with p minimalistic visuals and ambient sound. I really wish the author bundled them up together on steam, like what was done with buncha these (Rusty Lake, Forgotten Hill etc). He is selling some sort of "HD" versions via his site, but they are 5 bucks per game.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Morpheus Kitami
You remember Daymare Town? It was easily my favorite of these flash horror adventure series back in the day, incredible atmosphere with p minimalistic visuals and ambient sound. I really wish the author bundled them up together on steam, like what was done with buncha these (Rusty Lake, Forgotten Hill etc). He is selling some sort of "HD" versions via his site, but they are 5 bucks per game.
Vaguely, but not as much as I remember the other series from the guy behind it, Submachine. Right now, it seems like he's working on a rerelease of that series on Steam, so perhaps he'll rerelease the Daymare games later. In the meantime you could play them on Kongregate. Since they have a flash emulator for all this stuff and it seems to be working fine.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
There's probably more I've played as I have fallen in love with this niche, but right now the only other one that comes to my mind is Barrow Hill which I have in my library but haven't played yet, looks like another sweet, spooky Myst-clone.
Barrow Hill: Curse of the Ancient Circle was good. It takes place somewhere deep within the woods of Cornwall. I remember it being quite atmo with a few good puzzles.
There's also a sequel but I haven't played it. Both games are available on GOG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom