Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good RPG companies that are still alive and well?

It seems like a lot of once good companies have fallen.

Black Isle, Troika games, all those good old companies just straight up died off.

Bethasda sold their soul and it just (never) works, Bioware turned super SJW, and it looks like Obsidian is heading that way too.

The only ones left are Owlcat (Pathfinder), CD Projekt Red (Witcher) and maybe Larian. (Even though I hate their cartoony graphics)

Who else is good?

PS: I forgot about the guys who made Disco Elysium. Passable RPG, but hope they do better next time.

Melcar

Arcane
They all eventually sell out, and the ones that don't go out of business (or get dissolved before they get a chance to sell out).

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Square Enix.

In case you are not trolling it heavily depends on the business division. Squares devisions are still so seperated they might as well be different companies. The guys doing Dragon Quest are doing stellar work, the ones doing Final Fantasy not so much.

Incantatar

Cipher
Companies exist to make money not good games. Look instead at men working on great games as a hobby over a long time. There are a few.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Owlcat was founded in 2016, CDPRed was founded in 2002. So they haven't been around that long
Larian and Piranha Bytes are I think the only studios from the 90s that are still around and doing what they always have.

Radiane

Cipher
spiderwebsoftware.
Those pixel graphics and the writing… I can´t even think of a company that comes close

m_s0

Arcane
Whalenought? Though I have zero clue how this many years into development. That house they flipped?

PrettyDeadman

Piere, owlcats, voidspire tactics team, underrail dev. possibly aod dev, but I didnt like his last game and his new game demo, french artsy devs (husbad & wife).
Cleve might've had some potential, but he lost it when he put me on ignore list.
Purhania bytes.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Bethasda sold their soul and it just (never) works

They never had a soul. Their last PC game (Morrowind) saved them from bankruptcy and its all downhill from there

Bioware turned super SJW

It went to shit when Muzyka and Zeschuk left (before they formally left)

, and it looks like Obsidian is heading that way too.

Obsidian hasn't made a good game since SWKotOR 2. The B team led by Sawyer that made PoE is dogshit (they're C team now)

The only ones left are Owlcat (Pathfinder), CD Projekt Red (Witcher) and maybe Larian. (Even though I hate their cartoony graphics)

Owlcat are incompetent lazy fucks, CDPR will be the new Bethesda, and Larian (who were nobodies back in the day)... well Idk what they are, post-DA Bioware 2.0?

Who else is good?

Just indies mate and small studios. Its a different era

PS: I forgot about the guys who made Disco Elysium. Passable RPG, but hope they do better next time.

Its a stylish adventure game with RPG elements, hardly a true RPG

Piranha Bytes

Will forever make janky mediocre games that are neither here nor there

Aww that sucks...Well, it's good to know there's still some good indie dudes out there, doing what they love.

Bethasda sold their soul and it just (never) works

They never had a soul. Their last PC game (Morrowind) saved them from bankruptcy and its all downhill from there

I actually liked Skyrim. Don't judge me :P

Bioware turned super SJW

It went to shit when Muzyka and Zeschuk left (before they formally left)

This reminds me that Bioware posted a team picture at some point in which there's only one male team member. I guess they'll finally achieve gender equality when they get rid of this male oppressor.

Tigranes

Arcane
If you mean studios of more than ten people, none whatsoever.

It's all about Styg, Iron Tower, and other small outfits.

buffalo bill

Arcane
As far as I can tell, the best devs right now are: Iron Tower Studios, Blue Bottle Games, Freehold Games, Stygian Software, Wormwood Studios, Heroic Fantasy Games, non (Infra Arcana).
I admit that I might be forgetting a few.

I've pretty much given up on Whalenought delivering a second game, sadly. Their first game was pretty half baked anyway, but it had a few good ideas that made me think they could do a genuinely good game eventually.

Had a lot of hope for ZA/UM, but Disco Elysium was kind of lame in retrospect for various reasons that have been talked to death.

CD Projekt Red (Witcher) and maybe Larian. (Even though I hate their cartoony graphics)

These two suck. Owlcat is mediocre, which makes it better than any other AA studio (I will never play another inXile game again, for instance), and far better than any AAA studio.

Humanophage

Arcane
No love for Atom Team?

Also I would not call Owlcat mediocre - that is, P:K is good and impressive, though who knows how good can the developers be. Apart from being good per se, it also had the right and rare attitude of sticking relatively close to tabletop rules, which is something that was quite appealing about RPGs historically, but which they lost at some point in the 2000s.

buffalo bill

Arcane
No love for Atom Team?

Also I would not call Owlcat mediocre - that is, P:K is good and impressive, though who knows how good can the developers be. Apart from being good per se, it also had the right and rare attitude of sticking relatively close to tabletop rules, which is something that was quite appealing about RPGs historically, but which they lost at some point in the 2000s.
Oh yeah, Atom Team. Also, the Fallout: Nevada and Fallout 1.5 teams. Lots of good devs out there.

Hope Atom: Trudograd is gonna be good when it’s finished. Right now though, it looks like a super short money grab...

Hope Atom: Trudograd is gonna be good when it’s finished. Right now though, it looks like a super short money grab...

Its ten or eleven Kwan Zion Bux you whinning faggots spend less for lunch.

Is there a way to save you in game, Commissar? Also, Atom seriously needs a cover system. Even Iron Tower added one in their upcoming colony ship. It just looks ridiculous for normal humans to just stand out in the open shooting each other.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom