Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Good RPG or Action RPG for xbox

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by The Hedonist, Nov 4, 2006.

1. The Hedonist Novice

The Hedonist
    I have played just about every game for the xbox, but now and then there is a good game that I just missed out on. Do you guys know of any good games? Here is a list of my favorite xbox games, to help you asses what I'm looking for:

TES: Morrowind
    Fable
    Deus Ex: The Invisible War (I know the first one is better!)
    Star Wars: KOTOR
    Dreamfall: The Longest Journey (A little boring but interesting none the less)

I like all games, but I prefer games with RPG Elements. I know that the games I listed are not everyones favorite, but they do a good job of illustrating the style of games I like. Does anyone have any ideas because the xbox 360 has about 0 good RPGs, and yes I have TES: Oblivion. Any suggestions are appreciated. BTW, feel free to discuss why the games listed above all rock or suck . . . your call!

^ Top  
  2. Greatatlantic Erudite

Greatatlantic
    This here is a PC community, so anything beyond the obvious mainstream titles people aren't going to know about. However, I did notice you didn't list Jade Empire, which might be what your looking for. I think I once heard it described as KotOR in Asia with Real time combat, your mileage may vary. Also, make sure you try the sequel to KotOR.

^ Top  
  3. Claw Erudite Patron

Claw
    Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I was going to say "Sorry, you got an xbox." but then I saw the list of what you seem to consider good RPGs, so..

Sorry, you wouldn't know a good RPG if it kicked you in the face.

^ Top  
  4. Jora Arcane

Jora
  5. EEVIAC Erudite

EEVIAC
    Ninja Gaiden might be what you're looking for. Its an action game but you can collect orbs and upgrade your weapons, which makes it an RPG in the sense that you're role playing a ninja orb-collecter. Its good though.

<edit> I was going to mention the fact that Ninja Gaiden also has some characters with really magnificently large tits, but that reminded me of Team Ninja's masterpiece DOA : XBV. The game is made up entirely of non-violent solutions and you get to define your character through skimpy bikinis.

^ Top  
  6. Sentenza Scholar

Sentenza
    Deus Ex was an Adventure Game with RPG elements (and an awesome one); Invisivle War was a shiny piece of shit wich is collecting dust on my shelves; but to his own merits, is the reason I didn't preordered Oblishition after playing MW to death...

^ Top  
  7. aries202 Erudite

aries202
    HI :)

I would recommend

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 & 2
    Indigo Propehecy (Fahrenheit in Europe)
    Demon Stone

Broken Sword 3

aries202

^ Top  
  8. The Watchman Novice

The Watchman
    ...i give up, i wish i could write something usefull, but you lack any kind of taste and the fact that you have a xbox show you got no brain either.

^ Top  
  9. Sarvis Erudite

Sarvis
    Hrm... Freudian Slip?

Anyway, as someone else said try Jade Empire. It's pretty fun, and more of a Codex RPG than the Codex would like to admit.

Unfortunately though, the X-Box is pretty light on RPGs... in fact it doesn't have any, just a few action RPGs like JE.

^ Top  
  10. TheGreatGodPan Arbiter

TheGreatGodPan
    Do you know the difference between an FPS and adventure game?

^ Top  
  11. kingcomrade Kingcomrade Edgy

kingcomrade
    Buy Psychonauts.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. HardCode Erudite

HardCode
    Seems like you're looking for Super Mario Brothers.

(I'm surprise people fell for this guy's post.)

^ Top  
  13. Sarvis Erudite

Sarvis
    Oh please, this is the Codex. EVERYTHING is an Adventure game, unless it's Fallout.

^ Top  
  14. Sentenza Scholar

Sentenza
    Yes I do, and DE was mainly an Adventure game, as Unreal Tournament was an FPS

FPS is a technical classification, and defining DE as a First Person Shooter is a shallow way to do it, as it's only technically true

I see it as an Adventure game cause the story (the adventure) is the main and the strongest part of it; while in FPS the story (if exists) is shallow and serve only as a background/justification of the costantly shooting going on, as shooting to everything it mooves is the main part of every FPS wich is worth of that name

^ Top  
  15. whatusername Scholar

whatusername
    LOL

^ Top  
  16. denizsi Arcane

denizsi
    LOL indeed.

^ Top  
  17. Binary Liturgist

Binary
    Dungeons and Dragons Heroes is very nice

Also, Gladius is cool if you like the tactical combat/RPG mix. Basically it's a 80% combat based RPG

^ Top  
  18. TheGreatGodPan Arbiter

TheGreatGodPan
    There are plenty of RPGs where the story is as important as in Deus Ex if not moreso, but that doesn't make them adventures. There are plenty of text adventure games where there's no story or barely one at all (the original Colossal Caves for one, any of the one-move games like Rematch or one-room games like Galatea, pure puzzlers like Erudition Chamber or utterly incomprehensible though still enjoyable like For a Change). If we were to disqualify games from the FPS label if you don't "shoot everything that moves", that would mean Half-Life isn't, nor is Daikatana, or any of those rail-shooters in arcades where you lose a life if you shoot an innocent. Bioshock and Call of Cthulhu: DCOTE are both attempts to make games that aren't just run-in-and-kill-everything in gameplay style, but they are still FPS's through and through, and their creators state as much. If you wanted to say that Thief wasn't an FPS because you don't necessarily shoot that often I might hear you out, altough I wouldn't know what genre it would be otherwise. Deus Ex is pretty clearly a hybrid of FPS and RPG though.

^ Top  
  19. Sentenza Scholar

Sentenza
    I don't find myself shooting all that much in DE, but maybe it's just me

^ Top  
  20. Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron Sad Loser

Jasede
    Thief is not an FPS. Period. I haven't willingly killed a single man in any of the Thief games. I have not even knocked out any guards in my playthroughs lately. Thief is not an FPS. Thief is god, Thief is bliss, Thief is beauty, but by all means, Thief is NOT an FPS.

Thief is... Thief.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Seboss Scholar

Seboss
    How could you play through Thief without knocking out anyone ? Freaky...

^ Top  
  22. Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron Sad Loser

Jasede
    Did you never "ghost" a mission?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Blacklung Arbiter

Blacklung
    The geological, topographical, theological pancake
    Yeah I would definitely put the Thief and Splinter Cell series in a category of their own. Most of the time I hear them called First Person Sneakers (still FPS, but obviously a different genre). I would prefer a good FPSn over an FPSh anyday.

^ Top  
  24. denizsi Arcane

denizsi
    Thief is a FPS; First Person Sneaker / Stealth / Slaughter (if you did kill each and everybody).

Kidding aside, I consider a FPS to be any game with free controls in first person perspective with a fixed system, eg. fixed hero, fixed story progression ( a few minor routes as in Deus Ex doesn't matter in this regard ), above all, a fixed playing style, all with a mandatory combat of any type. No matter how many civilians you can talk to "but shouldn't kill" as a diversion of gameplay or stats you can employ. Combat is inevitable. So, Halo, NOLF series and Deus Ex are all FPSs in my book, some with light RP, adventure or other elements.

When it comes to Thief, I like to exclusively use "First Person Sneaker" to define it, due to the reason Jasede put. It's basically the same, ie. everything fixed, but the simple difference of murder vs. avoidance justifies the distinction.

You may not find yourself shooting that much in DE, but still there are integral parts where you are forced into intense combat with other characters, and the game doesn't exactly have the core mechanics needed to support that playing style. All the skills and stats are honed to help you kill in different ways. Intended level design at some places, and exploitable level design and AI in others is what makes all that possible. You can try and half-succesfully play Duke Nuke'm 3D in same style.

Maybe, the term FPS should be assumed to include "sneaker" or "stealth" as well as "shooter"?

^ Top  
  25. Vidken Novice

Vidken
    The Thief series games were a few of those games I gave enough of a shit about to keep playing through all the way to the end.

I even liked Thief: DS. I loved the voice acting and Shalebridge Cradle.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.