Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good rpgs released this year?

Butcer

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
What rpgs have been released this year that are any good , and no jrpgs please

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Can't wait for this year's retrospective....

Alternative post:

There were none; go home and find a new hobby. RPGs are dead. Videogaming is dead.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm kind of amazed I can't think of one passable one to throw out there. Hopefully by the end of the year we'll have a couple, but for now... yikes.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Expiditions Conquistador. Generation XTH english translation is pretty good too. It's based on the old wizardry blobbers, but it does have a Japanese setting so YMMV.

Shadowrun Returns should be out near the end of the month. It's looking promising, but we won't know if it's good or bad until we have a chance to play it ourselves.

Hopefully Wasteland 2 and Banner Saga will let us end the year on a high note. Otherwise it's been a pretty dim year for RPGs.

Logic_error

Self-Ejected
Expeditions becomes a total bore after the first part of the game. There is practically nothing happening combat wise (which is the mainstay btw) in the latter portion which is supposed to be the actual story.

I am not sure why there are so many people who like it. If I wanted to play a good TB squab based game JA2 still meets my requisites unlike other games.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I'd just chalk it up to old fashioned japanese xenophobia. They tend to turn a blind eye/not give a fuck about ip infringements over there as a rule, hence the whole doujinshi industry. They can recognize free money/advertising when they see it, they just don't want it from filthy gaijin.

Anyways, regarding the OP, Dragon Commander is supposed to come out a month from now. So there'll be that.

DramaticPopcorn

Come to think of it, was anything decent released in 2012?

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If anything covers games with light RPG elements thrown in, we had quite a few stellar to ok games with Eador : Genesis, Crusader Kings 2, Warlock: Master of the Arcane, I found XCom decent for what it was (board gamey tactical game with very obvious gamified elements), ftl.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I'm enjoying Ni No Kuni, tho what possessed the developers to have only one overland map music and one battle music is beyond my comprehension, i'm at the point where i muted my TV and only turn on the volume when there is VO.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
If anything covers games with light RPG elements thrown in, we had quite a few stellar to ok games with Eador : Genesis, Crusader Kings 2, Warlock: Master of the Arcane, I found XCom decent for what it was (board gamey tactical game with very obvious gamified elements), ftl.

And none of those games were released this year.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer

And none of those games were released this year.
Maybe because I was answering the previous poster :

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Maybe because I was answering the previous poster

Ah yeah, all DramaticPopcorn's fault then. The lack of quote threw me off. All of those (apart from Xcom maybe, might as well just play the original) are solid timesinks. Certainly better than anything that came out this year.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
You're right, it was confusing without the quotes. I just edited the post. The new XCom still has the advantage of not being the same, thus I didn't feel the burnout effect at all when playing it, even though it was a butchered version (I liked the replacement of action points with 2 actions, though, I just hated most of the other changes).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom