Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Google Stadia - "a game streaming service for everyone"

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I think the problem with Stadia is that the market for it isn't as big as was originally thought.
If you can afford to pay for a monthly video game streaming service and regularly buy $60 titles, you can afford to just buy a gaming PC(or console.) At first I thought this would be like GamePass except with included game streaming, but it's not -- you still have to buy the games individually. So exactly who is this service appealing to?
There is like no market at all. As you said,if you can afford 60 bucks for a game and 15 more per month,you could afford good pc rig. Also instead of buying 10 games you could just pirate them and get a decent pc for those money. I assume that they were aiming for the mobile market,people that will play pc games on their phones or something similar.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Based on their promotional videos I assume Google believed in a hidden race of subterranian troglodytes that wished to play video games but lacked the ability to develop themselves due to the lack of opposable thumbs.

Did you know that Amazon is launching its own Stadia too?

They are definitely the future. But only when technology solves the lag. Maybe in 50 years? Not now.

Perhaps it doesn't have to be solved. Given that twitch games are becoming less popular - press 'X' to proceed to next cutscene.
Disclaimer: I have been watching the channel Is it worth a buy? and every game seems to be going that way.
Games are becoming interactive serials (soap operas) where "gamers" can subscribe to semi-interactive fiction e.g. Last of Us 4 - Press 'y' to proceed to next Lesbian cut scene.
That's probably what Google/Amazon/etc are betting the house on.

abija

Prophet
There's payments and there's "do what you are told or no more crumbs get thrown your way and you go under".

Gastrick

Cipher
It's like how Google can get people to believe they are geniuses with their Star Craft AI that is no where close to beating the best players. They have their bullshitting network and idiot-trust down pat and will be able to sell anything.

It's like how Google can get people to believe they are geniuses with their Star Craft AI that is no where close to beating the best players. They have their bullshitting network and idiot-trust down pat and will be able to sell anything.

Unfortunately, "AI" (much in common with climate change, quantum computing, alchemy and so on) is another bullshit word to add to our ever increasing compendium of bullshit. Very few understand the mechanisms of natural principles. There are also not a large and established scientific community to refute the bullshit (well there are but they keep quiet and continue to collect funding).

This makes bullshitting around any of these "new sciences" convenient. Even most AI startups are bullshit but the investors pockets are too deep and they lack the technical background (or possibly don't care) that they are funding a scam.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Even most AI startups are bullshit but the investors pockets are too deep and they lack the technical background (or possibly don't care) that they are funding a scam.

Also most investors are betting that one of their many investment will struck gold and bring google-like returns, so with those optics, having a 100 investments fail isn't that much of a big deal

Last edited:

Gastrick

Cipher
Unfortunately, "AI" (much in common with climate change, quantum computing, alchemy and so on) is another bullshit word to add to our ever increasing compendium of bullshit. Very few understand the mechanisms of natural principles. There are also not a large and established scientific community to refute the bullshit (well there are but they keep quiet and continue to collect funding).

This makes bullshitting around any of these "new sciences" convenient. Even most AI startups are bullshit but the investors pockets are too deep and they lack the technical background (or possibly don't care) that they are funding a scam.
Pretty much, current AI is just an advanced form of statistics. It's too bad as well that actual sentience is impossible for binary computers to have, so they would need to develop something similar to how life works. It may have to be some sort of genetic shit, some reproducing brain that is added to give it real consciousness.
There definitely are a lot of stupid tech startups that should never get funded. I was hearing from someone that he wanted to make an AI that tells women (and perhaps men as well) what is fashionable to wear. He wanted it to work off of google images fashion photos, where even Google's AI isn't able to do photo recognition properly, as you can see with captcha. Libtard wanted the choices to be demographically indifferent, where I asked him the obvious "What is it, going to be suggesting Hijabs to non-arab women?". He couldn't explain why that wouldn't happen.

deuxhero

Arcane

Pretty much, current AI is just an advanced form of statistics. It's too bad as well that actual sentience is impossible for binary computers to have, so they would need to develop something similar to how life works. It may have to be some sort of genetic shit, some reproducing brain that is added to give it real consciousness.
There definitely are a lot of stupid tech startups that should never get funded. I was hearing from someone that he wanted to make an AI that tells women (and perhaps men as well) what is fashionable to wear. He wanted it to work off of google images fashion photos, where even Google's AI isn't able to do photo recognition properly, as you can see with captcha. Libtard wanted the choices to be demographically indifferent, where I asked him the obvious "What is it, going to be suggesting Hijabs to non-arab women?". He couldn't explain why that wouldn't happen.

The idea of demographicly indifferent fashion is retarded by itself. Even just varying shades of "white" has a massive influence on color choice, and that's not even getting into hair color.

Gastrick

Cipher
The idea of demographicly indifferent fashion is retarded by itself. Even just varying shades of "white" has a massive influence on color choice, and that's not even getting into hair color.
True, I was thinking of the extreme examples but it wouldn't even fucking work on a basic level.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://9to5google.com/2020/10/22/g...ive-director-streamers-should-pay-publishers/

Gamers condemn a Google Stadia Montreal Creative Director for saying streamers should be paying publishers

stadia_controller_4.jpg

Following three days of “Good Stuff” announcements, “Stadia” has begun trending on Twitter following a tweet from a Google Stadia Games & Entertainment Creative Director suggesting that streamers should be paying game studios a percentage of their revenue.

From the first time we ever heard of Stadia, Google’s still young game-streaming service, the ability to easily stream your gameplay onto a service like YouTube Gaming or Twitch has been sold as one of the key focuses and advantages. While direct streaming to YouTube hasn’t launched yet, Stadia has slowly ramped up exclusive features for streamers like Crowd Choice, which polls YouTube stream viewers to decide what happens next.

On Twitter this afternoon, Alex Hutchinson — the Montreal Studio Creative Director of Stadia Games and Entertainment, hired as part of Stadia’s acquisition of Typhoon Studios — tweeted about the current state of game streaming. As it stands, many creators fear the possibility of their content being taken down for copyright reasons based on music.

Taking the idea a step further, Hutchinson suggests that streamers should also fear “streaming games they didn’t pay for as well.” The solution he proposes is that streamers should be paying a percentage of their revenues to each game’s publisher.

Almost immediately, this tweet was picked up on by the broader gaming and streaming communities. By and large, the responses were not positive.

Over the course of a few hours, Hutchinson’s handful of tweets altogether received nearly 10,000 retweets on Twitter, which significantly exceeds the combined total of retweets on @GoogleStadia tweets across the entirety of the three-day “Good Stuff” event — currently under 2,000 retweets. The intense discussion on Twitter has caused “Stadia” to become a trending topic in the United States.

Some members of the streaming community like Dr Disrespect and Gothalion were quick to point to Hutchinson’s position as a “Creative Director for Google Stadia.”

Others shared instances of streaming having a positive impact on sales, such as Among Us, a game from 2018 that exploded in popularity, from hundreds of players to hundreds of thousands.

Games journalist Jason Schreier reminded that individual game studio employees would likely not even see a benefit from such a move, as such developers typically do not receive any royalties from their work.

For Google’s part, a spokesperson gave the following statement, distancing the company from Hutchinson’s comments.

The recent tweets by Alex Hutchinson, creative director at the Montreal Studio of Stadia Games and Entertainment, do not reflect those of Stadia, YouTube or Google.​

In a similar vein, Hutchinson’s Twitter bio was updated later in the afternoon to include “all opinions my own.”

Additionally, YouTube’s lead over “Gaming, Commerce, & Immersive,” Ryan Wyatt, shared his own thoughts on the more “symbiotic relationship” that publishers and streamers can and should form.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
All discussion of whether streaming is a good thing for sales or a bad thing (and how much that depends on genre), it really is crazy that a whole industry has been built up and millionaires created around taking other people's work and talking over it.

Codex Year of the Donut
All discussion of whether streaming is a good thing for sales or a bad thing (and how much that depends on genre), it really is crazy that a whole industry has been built up and millionaires created around taking other people's work and talking over it.
Publishers/devs would be entirely within their rights to do a DMCA request to have streams taken down. There's a reason they don't do it.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Yep. I remember a few let's play videos from sites like Something Awful circa 2005/2006, crazy to think what that all ultimately turned into.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
Streaming is a pseudo industry, there is negative money in it...

Anyway, the kikes should be paying ME for every single second I spent on their moronic, juvenile, pointless fucking garbage - which is all of it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://kotaku.com/google-stadia-shuts-down-internal-studios-changing-bus-1846146761

Google Stadia Shuts Down Internal Studios, Changing Business Focus

Google Stadia, the late 2019 streaming platform that promised to revolutionize gaming by letting users stream games without needing to own a powerful PC or console, is altering course, getting out of the game-making business and will now offer its platform directly to game publishers alongside offering Stadia Pro to the public.

The company is announcing the news today, though Kotaku began to hear rumblings from sources close to Stadia last week that Google’s service was heading for a major change. One games industry source told Kotaku that Google was canceling multiple projects, basically any games slated for release beyond a specific 2021 window, though they believed games close to release would still come out. Today brings some clarification.

Google will close its two game studios, located in Montreal and Los Angeles. That closure will impact around 150 developers, one source familiar with Stadia operations said. The company says it will try to find those developers new roles at Google.

Jade Raymond, the veteran producer who helped build Assassin’s Creed for Ubisoft and moved on to EA several years ago before leaving to run game creation at Stadia, is exiting the company, according to Google.

Google will continue to operate the Stadia gaming service and its $10 monthly Stadia Pro service. It’s unclear how many, if any, exclusive games will still come to the service, though the company has indicated that it can still sign new games. It nevertheless will look to many like a draw down of the plan to have Stadia run as a bona fide competitor to console platforms.

The company plans to begin offering its Stadia tech to publishers, opening up the possibility for Stadia to become the streaming tech for other video game companies. Google’s head of Stadia operations, longtime console executive Phil Harrison, will focus on pursuing these new partnerships.

Google initially offered Stadia in a $129 Founder’s Edition bundle, which included a custom controller, a Chromecast Ultra (used for streaming games from Google’s servers to a TV), and three months of Stadia Pro, a subscription service that granted access to certain games.

Google promoted some exciting features, including the ability to let players pass control of a livestreamed Stadia game on the fly and to share savestates of games, but many of them weren’t available at launch and remained in testing phases.

The service’s best moments may have been when its third-party ports showed off the strength of the cloud gaming model, in which a game can run well on just about any device with a screen and a strong internet connection. Ubisoft games such as Assassin’s Creed Odyssey ran well on Stadia. Destiny 2's Stadia support let players of that game drop in for an extra match or quest from their phone or laptop when they were far from their regular gaming gear. When Cyberpunk 2077 was faltering on everything else in December, it was running quite well on Stadia.

Still, without offering an all-you-can-play service nor offering killer exclusive games, Stadia struggled to get its footing. Meanwhile, Microsoft ramped up its xCloud cloud gaming service as part of its Game Pass Ultimate bundle, and Stadia became less and less alluring to the kind of hardcore gamer who can build buzz for a new gaming service.

Google seemingly built for the future with the creation of first-party studios and a leadership team consisting of accomplished studio heads and creative directors, but those efforts weren’t enough to stave off the fate many people feared when hearing about this Google initiative: that it would lose support from within before it got ample time to realize its potential.

Stadia isn’t quite done. The Stadia tech could still succeed. By many accounts, Stadia runs games great. But as a game-maker, Google appears to have packed it in. Said one source familiar with Stadia’s first-party operations, citing another tech giant’s widely publicized failure to create video games: “Google was a terrible place to make games. Imagine Amazon, but under-resourced.”

DeepOcean

Arcane
Hi Jade, how it feels working for more than 10 years never releasing a game because every project you are in is cancelled? God is trolling you.

Also RIP Stadia, goodbye, nobody wanted you anyway.

vibehunter

Learned
Google is so trash, constantly starting new projects and then running them into the ground.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom