Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gotham Knights - open world action-RPG where Batman is dead

Silentstorm

Learned
I am just happy we are getting a game where the playable characters aren't, Batman, Superman or a team made popular because of movies ala Suicide Squad, sure, everyone is related to Batman, but it's still different in a way.

Also, i love that Joker seemingly isn't the big villain again for the 100th time, Jesus Christ, that was something i hated about the Arkham series, even Origins had Joker just suddenly being the main villain and Arkham Knight shoved him in as an illusion because heaven forbid we had a game where Joker wasn't around for quite a while, instead, Joker nor Harley Quinn have appeared in the trailers, Court Of Owls seem to be the main villains, and Penguin and Mr.Freeze are the only other villains introduced so far.

Thank God for that, but Joker is still a big villain, and Red Hood is playable so i expect him to be in the game, and Harley Quinn too because she keeps being shoved in, wonder how they will portray her, in the Arkham game days, she was still characterized as a woman obsessed with Joker and that cared about nothing more, but she has had nothing to do with Joker in the comics for years now and even her cartoon reflects that.

Heck, Harley Quinn has so little to do with Joker these days, at times even operating in a town other than Gotham, that they were forced to create another female sidekick for Joker, and thus Punchline was created...but the fact that this game only goes up to Tim Drake as the Batfamily goes, and Barbara Gordon still being the Batgirl, makes me wonder if they will go for a more classic Harley.

ADL

Prophet
That's much later than expected, making Hogwarts Legacy a November-December release at the earliest? Suicide Squad Kill the Justice League isn't a 2022 game anymore.

Ezekiel

Arcane
dc-announces-gotham-knights-as-the-next-batman-game.jpg

Didn't even pay much attention before, but the designs are so bad. Nothing is skintight anymore, and why does Warner Brothers hate jumpsuits so much? Tired of seeing Batman characters in pants. If they don't have good alternate costumes, I won't even bother.

When did Batgirl start using a nightstick? Why would I want her to? We already have Nightwing using a similar weapon.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Which isn't to say the designs in the modern Batman games were ever good. Just bother me more now.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I'm not impressed with what I'm seeing about the combat. They're hustling for lots of options, lots of cool strikes and cool combos, but that's not what was good about Arkham combat. Arkham combat was all about enemy immunities - you can't just punch an armored enemy, you have to stun them first; you can't just throw a batarang at a dude with a riot shield, you have to hit him from behind; takedowns don't work on martial artists; etc. Mixing up groups of varying enemy types made combat almost more of a puzzle. Sounds like this is going to be choosing between 50 different attacks that all have the same effect: reduce the enemy hit point bar.
Arkham's combat was never really good. I'd redo the entire system from scratch, stop making it about racking up points. It's really easy and unlike Batman. He doesn't zigzag his opponents like the Flash or whatever. Yeah, RPG elements will only make it worse. Punch one hundred times when in a straight action game you could have taken him down in five moves.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
The weak opinion is to cry about not having Batman despite all of those chars being interesting on their own. (Also if you really think he's actually dead and they won't have him playable in DLC or something you're a moron)
The true take is to be annoyed about forced and unnecessary grind with half-assed co-op.

It's a coop multiplayer game. Why would Batman be playable if they're not advertising him now? As soon as you make him playable, he'll be the most popular character and all the teamwork you designed and advertised will change.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Batman is one of the few superhero things I pay attention to, but I've hated the "Batman family" shit. It's just goofy, the character works ten times better on his own or with Robin at most. That's one big turnoff right away. Also didn't Barbara stay Oracle in these games? Blah.

Also co-op and open world RPG screams not my thing too.

I'd just limit it to Batman, Robin and Batgirl. That's the Bat family for me. Only read a few of the comics, hardly watched any of the animated movies, did like The New Batman Adventures well enough, but not really a fan of Nightwing still, and never wanted to play with guns in these games. I remember playing as Red Hood in one of the Knight DLCs. Wasn't my thing. Actually, I don't mind Nightwing, but I prefer him as an outsider who doesn't get that involved. I'd probably make Robin a thirteen-year-old like in TNBA, because there aren't many games where kids are beating up adults and I want to find out how that would work mechanically. Would provide a nice contrast to the stronger, bigger Batman and Batgirl.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The weak opinion is to cry about not having Batman despite all of those chars being interesting on their own. (Also if you really think he's actually dead and they won't have him playable in DLC or something you're a moron)
The true take is to be annoyed about forced and unnecessary grind with half-assed co-op.

It's a coop multiplayer game. Why would Batman be playable if they're not advertising him now? As soon as you make him playable, he'll be the most popular character and all the teamwork you designed and advertised will change.
They do it in fighting games all the time. Hold off the fan favorite for DLC as a booster shot of engagement and buzz.

Codex Year of the Donut
Still looking pretty sad. I don't know why I keep hoping this will somehow become good.

looks... really bad. Can't even pinpoint to one part being worst than the rest.
The combat with the animations sliding everywhere, the ridiculously goofy forms of travel, how boring it all feels with a seemingly empty city and nobody around

nightwing & red hood barely interact with each other, most likely due to it being a co-op feature but makes them seem incredibly flat

Watching this video just made me think of how well a Mass Effect-style game with Batman would sell.

Last edited:

Silentstorm

Learned
Basically, worse than the Arkham games in almost every way, at least there isn't the dumb Batmobile but, man, i can still boot up Arkham City and have fun just gliding and using a grappling hook in that game to go across town, the combat was simple and fun and you only unlocked new gadgets or abilities across the story or by fighting a bit, but nothing too major because they knew it wasn't really an action RPG.

This game, just feels worse at every part, and i don't like how it's a Co-Op RPG of sorts with levels and stats, particularly since it's one of those games where enemies are always at the same level as you, because the devs want the game to be a challenge at all times even though the game seems pretty easy.

Easy enough it makes the level scaling pointless...unless their idea is to eventually make every enemy have armor that makes them take 2 or more attacks without flinching and requiring gimmicks to defeat every mook and dragging down combat at the same time.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Easy enough it makes the level scaling pointless...unless their idea is to eventually make every enemy have armor that makes them take 2 or more attacks without flinching and requiring gimmicks to defeat every mook and dragging down combat at the same time.
Nothing wrong with making the player use gimmicks to defeat enemies. Arkham combat is all about order of operations and using the right gimmick on the right enemy (vault over stun rod guys, use the aerial attack on shield guys, etc). But Gotham Knights doesn't seem to have any of that - it's just going to be whittling down bigger and bigger hit point bars with attacks that use bigger and bigger numbers, making the experience totally flat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom