Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Gothic 3 fan-patched to 1.5.2

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Nedrah, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Nedrah Erudite

Nedrah
    Tags: Gothic III; JoWood Productions

While this <A HREF="http://forum.jowood.com/showthread.php?t=149930">patch</a> will not do much for most of you, it might be a godsent for those that experience problems with either the games copy protection or with owning the russian language version of the game. "Universe Edition" compatibility has also been added.
    <br>
    <br>
    <blockquote>Changes for Community Patch 1.5.2:
    <br>
    * - Deactivation of the copy protection</blockquote>
    <br>
    Well, that's it.
    <br>
    Spotted at: <A HREF="http://rpgwatch.com">RpgWatch</A>

^ Top  
  2. cardtrick Arbiter

cardtrick
    Good move by Jowood, allowing the community team to remove the copy protection for this and all future versions of their patch. It doesn't mean that much by itself, but I like how supportive Jowood has been of this game, even if it came too late. Maybe Gothic 4 isn't screwed after all.

^ Top  
  3. Does this mean it is playable without the CD?

^ Top  
  4. denizsi Arcane

denizsi
    It means it is playable without the floppy.

^ Top  
  5. Is that what passes for humour in Turkey?

^ Top  
  6. Admiral Rimjob POOBUM Arcane

Admiral Rimjob POOBUM
    The copy protection was partly responsible for performance issues, if memory serves correctly.

amirite

^ Top  
  7. cuthbert Novice

cuthbert
    Was it the starforce thing I heard so much about or something else?

Also does this mean gothic 3 falls into the category of abandon-ware?

^ Top  
  8. Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron Sad Loser

Jasede
    No.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Krokar Scholar

Krokar
    It was tages. That's one of those great protections that causes more problems to those that have the original game rather then to ones with warez version. That's why almost every owner of the game used crack to disable tages, because that way game runs much faster/smoother. Well at least I did that.

^ Top  
  10. Nedrah Erudite

Nedrah
    Well, afaik that kind of copy protections checks, among other things, if certain vital game files are in their original state. While that may give the cracker some kind of incentive to hack away a bit longer before he can say "pwned" and releases a crack, more importantly it probably made doing bigger changes that concern the guts of the game a royal pain in the ass for the community patch team. They have stated that features and relatively easily fixable bugs have now been handled, to do more they need to really play with the code. Now they can.

^ Top  
  11. Circuitbreaker Liturgist

Circuitbreaker
    Any performance increase would be nice. Gothic 3 seems to have more speed problems on my rig then The Witcher.

Note that in the Netherlands you can pick up Gothic 3 for only 15 Euro's now.

^ Top  
  12. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    As much as I appreciata the work, I just reinstalled Gothic 3 and deinstalled righta fter I remembered why I didn't play it... the horrible combat system. Although it would probably be too much to call this thing a "system", as this would require it to appear somehow organised...

^ Top  
  13. Au naturel Scholar

Au naturel
    Just use bows and shitty melee weapons. Makes things more interesting.

^ Top  
  14. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Its interesting enough as it is. You never know if you will hit the monster, or if it will kill you with an unblockable series of fast strikes ;)

This whole thing seems to be more or less random and totally unpredictable. I will never understand why they didnt keep the Gothic 2 system and made some improvements...

^ Top  
  15. Hümmelgümpf Arbiter

Hümmelgümpf
    Gothic 2 system was focused on duels, not fights with multiple enemies. They tried to "fix" it, but failed miserably.

^ Top  
  16. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Yeah. That may be it.

But that was actually the good thing about Gothic 2. It's combat system just was... more realistic. It is many times easier to face one opponent in melee than multiple enemies.

But still, an easier switching between targets and some attacks that hit multiple enemies would have been all that was needed :/
    Meh. I just hope the next Gothic devs will do better.

^ Top  
  17. Nedrah Erudite

Nedrah
    You will do a single click on an enemy and use special abilitys by pressing buttons in your quick bar. The system will be called "WoG". Mark my words.

^ Top  
  18. Ismaul Citizen First Class #3333 Patron

Ismaul
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Gothic 1's combat controls are clearly the better ones. No locking on opponents, so you can switch as you wish. You can even fight multiple enemies, but that takes more skill. As it should.

Also, I just bought the Universe edition, so I'm going to try G3 when I finish my finals. And build my new rig. Are G1's controls available on this one like they were in G2?

^ Top  
  19. Hümmelgümpf Arbiter

Hümmelgümpf
    Nope. There would be considerably less whining about the G3 combat system if that was the case.

^ Top  
  20. Nedrah Erudite

Nedrah
    How many of those complaining about G3s combat system also felt that he died too much in G2 / fights were unfair or very hard?

^ Top  
  21. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    I didn't. G2's fights were challenging, sometimes, but overall fair. Well... ignoring the fact that your char got totally overpowered and imba in late-game...

G3's combat system is simply a pain.... unintuitive, unpredictable and unfair.

^ Top  
  22. Ander Vinz Scholar

Ander Vinz
    I've got significant perfomance increase with this patch. I also disabled swap before it though so I don't know which operation is the reason for this.

^ Top  
  23. Claw Erudite Patron

Claw
    Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Yeah, but unfortunately Gothic 1 already suffered from the strange behaviour of their "focus" that might just decide to designate an enemy behind the opponent standing right in front of you as target, and good luck switching targets then. It was easy enough with ranged weapons, but in melee you were pretty much screwed.

Also, thesheep is just incompetent, but I suppose I like his whining better than those 'tards that claim you can easily pwn any amount of enemies because they always only attack in a row, which isn't true either.

^ Top  
  24. Admiral Rimjob POOBUM Arcane

Admiral Rimjob POOBUM
    Not entirely, but I do find most enemies in groups tend to hang back a little and let one go at it more or less by himself. Still, turn your back and ignore the others, and you are fucked, because they'll remember to step in sooner or later.

^ Top  
  25. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Thing is, you can easily pwn any amount of enemies... if you are lucky. If not some will just start one of those attack series, or smash you down while blocking, or just evade your attacks by standing somehow beneath you, yet at the same time attacking you, etc.

This combat system has so many unforseeable and -most certainl - unintended and unfinished things that all that it resolves to in the end is luck. Of course, you can get used to it up to a certain degree, and trust me, I did that. But the only thing this gains you is a lower chance of getting weirdly pwned, by trying to evade certain situations and being annoyingly cautious.
    But even with that, you will end up dying in an very frustrating and unfair way sooner or later, more or less often.

Gothic 3 may very well be the only game I played longer than one week, but then just stopped due to the fact that I realized all that frustration is simply not worth it.

True, but that may be one of the few things I appreciate about the combat in G3: the behaviour of "intelligent" enemies in groups.
    Get in a fight with a couple of monster, though, and they won't wait but attack you all at the same time. At leats that is what I experienced in most cases.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.