Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Gothic 3 fan-patched to 1.5.2

Au naturel

Scholar
And has the combat changed at all with these fan patchs? I remember with 1.12 the beasts had become much easier for both the player and the AI Humans/orcs, is this still the case?

LittleJoe

Arbiter
I never had too many problems with the stun-lock, you can usually escape it by pressing the S key,(at least, in the patched version.)
Also, the fact that there is still a chance that you can get killed by wolves at level 50, keeps you on your toes.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Au naturel said:
And has the combat changed at all with these fan patchs? I remember with 1.12 the beasts had become much easier for both the player and the AI Humans/orcs, is this still the case?

Unfortunately, no. I don't know if the combat system is hardcoded (what I guess, though), but this would IMHO be the only reason why noone has changed the combat yet.
But you are right, a single pig isn't capable anymore of laying siege to an orcish fortress...

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
They still haven´t changed it because it´s something that it´s very hard to balance right. But I think this is what they are working on right now, from what I guessed from reading the community patch forums.

Licaon_Kter

Augur
(in Romania) yesterday at a game shop i just saw G3 for 23$, and this guy got the only copy for his kid, while on some other shelf there were 2 copies of the Gothic Universe pack for 50$. when i went today there were both gone. :(

Shannow

Waster of Time
I'm playing G3 at the moment and the patch is a godsend. The game doesn't send my DVD drive in a "can a DVD drive be more aggravating than a crying baby" spin everytime something is loaded. I hope that it'll also make the game more stable.

On the combat: I played a fighter till level 27 and restarted to make a mage. Nothing can stand in my way now.
Fighting was: Kill a wolf with 2-3 strikes 17/20 times. Have the wolf fight back in a realistical/fair way 2/20 times. Be utterly destroyed by the wolf 1/20 times. Since reloading always made the game crash that wasn't a "fun" situation with a level 27 character. Now, one firebal kills a wolf. 6 kill a troll and my mana recharges by itself...

G3 is still a very fun game. The atmosphere is still great, but combat and balancing severely suffered. (And I'm still able to win most duels by fast right-clicking)

denizsi

Arcane
Also, I just bought the Universe edition, so I'm going to try G3 when I finish my finals.

I'm considering about getting that too, but what holds me is the contents. Does it have the manuals to all games, either separately or as all-in-one book? Also, Is Gothic 2 the Gold version or Gothic 2 and NOTR separately?

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, I find having to gulp down potions all the time before you get Mana Regen a bit annoying, but yes. Playing a mage is easy mode. I went a step further and installed a mod that allows me to cast Ring of Fire on target instead of on myself, so I can wipe out groups of enemies at a distance. It may be cheasy, but it just feels right and looks cool. I could (almost) just as easily run close to a grop of enmies and unleash the spell and use a summoned skeleton as meat shield, but it always felt awkward.
It works, but it's not cool, you know? It doesn't give me an e-boner.

Besides, "those" two guys gloss over the fact that with a decent polearm (scythe for my mage) animals are just as easy.
I haven't played a fighter yet, so I don't know how well melee combat works with a good weapon and proper training.
With a mage using a sword in melee, any decently sized group of orcs is gonna cut you down.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Claw said:
Besides, "those" two guys gloss over the fact that with a decent polearm (scythe for my mage) animals are just as easy.

Quite true... Ranged weapons or melee weapons with a long range make fighting incredibly much easier as they reduce the chance of you getting hit by any of those serie-punches, etc.

Claw said:
I haven't played a fighter yet, so I don't know how well melee combat works with a good weapon and proper training.

What Shannow said kind of describes it:

Claw said:
Fighting was: Kill a wolf with 2-3 strikes 17/20 times. Have the wolf fight back in a realistical/fair way 2/20 times. Be utterly destroyed by the wolf 1/20 times. Since reloading always made the game crash that wasn't a "fun" situation with a level 27 character.

Notice he had a lvl 27 fighter.... with lower levels, its more likely to be 3/20 "be utterly destroyed", if you know how fighting and controls work. It really is frustrating ;)

So, yeah, playing an archer or a mage is the easy way. Unfortunately, I just can't bring myself to play the easy way if there is a "normal" or "hard" one available -.-

Claw

Erudite
Patron
I wasn't really concerned about killing wolves. I am killing wolves and other animals without trouble; and that's with a mage using a sword. Not a particularly impressive sword.
I don't use a scythe anymore because I need the space on my quickbar and I don't fear the occasional rapid-attack anymore; I can take a few hits. Besides, I find it appropriate. Who would hunt with a sword?

What concernes me how combat against humanoid enemies would work out with better combat skills, armor etc.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Well, I'm still winning the duels in the arena. It just takes longer and the chance of you being caught by a ripost and not getting back into the battle are higher. Since I didn't skill into hp I cannot take as much abuse. But I have paladin armor, a skull shield and a firemage robe. So armor-wise I'm on par with a fighter (just that I won't take the skill that improves heavy armor).
With the fighter I used polearms and one-handed weapons. I didn't notice any significant range advantages, but the shield was useful so I stayed with one-handed.

I was mainly disappointed with the fighter because better fighting skills didn't change the way he fought. He only got some spin attack that I never used. General fighting moves didn't become smoother or faster :(

Tried close combat on a minecrawler? It is an experience to be cherished ;)

Nedrah

Erudite
Right, so I guess we can say that playing a mage might become somewhat easy as soon as those higher levels hit. Not exactly revolutionary, I dare say. What about stat checks otherwise? Will I notice any difference in dialogue / game aspects that are not combat between a mage and a fighter? I seem to remember that it did not really matter in G1 and G2. Then again, I also remember not giving a fuck.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Still doesn't matter. This time around npcs won't even react to your armor. Also double crossing in quests doesn't always have consequences, npcs don't talk about items you stole from them, etc. BUT there are still consequences sometimes, not always bad, but definately there.
Examples: You know somebody is the rebell contact in the city and rat on him.
Consequence: You are told to deal with it and gain some xp.
You know somebody is robbing farms and rat on him.
Consequence: He is thrown out of camp and threatens to pay you back.

The game realy caters to persons like me who will cross and double cross as much as they can in games ;)

EDIT: The new patch didn't realy help stability but at least it's quiet :)

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Shannow said:
]Tried close combat on a minecrawler? It is an experience to be cherished ;)
Yes, I have, like most creatures in the game. I was talking about true animals like wolves, boars or bloodflies, not freakin' monsters.
That said, the daft German fans are to blame: Instead of analyzing the problem - which admittedly would've been PB's job - they whined about boars, so - PB "fixed" boars, and left the exact same issue intact for all other creatures. Well, shit.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Claw said:
Shannow said:
Tried close combat on a minecrawler? It is an experience to be cherished ;)
Yes, I have, like most creatures in the game. I was talking about true animals like wolves, boars or bloodflies, not freakin' monsters.
That said, the daft German fans are to blame: Instead of analyzing the problem - which admittedly would've been PB's job - they whined about boars, so - PB "fixed" boars, and left the exact same issue intact for all other creatures. Well, shit.
That's also an impression I had. Wolves and boars weren't as bad as I expected but minecrawlers and wargs were. Not only tougher and packing a harder punch (as is to be expected) but also more occasions of chained fast attacks. But I didn't fight many of the "non-normal" animals in close combat so I could have been unlucky and encountered the 1/20 more often. Statistics...

Hazelnut

Erudite
Claw said:
Well, I find having to gulp down potions all the time before you get Mana Regen a bit annoying, but yes. Playing a mage is easy mode. I went a step further and installed a mod that allows me to cast Ring of Fire on target instead of on myself, so I can wipe out groups of enemies at a distance. It may be cheasy, but it just feels right and looks cool. I could (almost) just as easily run close to a grop of enmies and unleash the spell and use a summoned skeleton as meat shield, but it always felt awkward.
It works, but it's not cool, you know? It doesn't give me an e-boner.

With a mage using a sword in melee, any decently sized group of orcs is gonna cut you down.

Yeah, I just finished my second play though as a mage, and it was pretty easy compared to the previous sword master play though. Still won all arena fights with staves.. gotta love that sword staff! I would definitely recommend that anyone who hates the combat in G3 go for the magic route. The only issue (apart from the relative ease) is that the higher spells are almost useless as they're centered on you and take a while to cast. 9/10 times some bastard would interrupt my concentration with a blow to the head. I'd be very interested in that mod Claw, even though it would have been nicer a month ago.

As for the melee combat. It's not that random - you do have to concentrate with certain foes, whereas with others it's kinda Diablo. I went the dual wield route with my nameless hero and really enjoyed the combat for the most part. The ice wolves did cause a few frustrating reloads, but I really enjoyed ploughing though hoards of Orcs with two blades. If I lost concentration then I'd usually be dead as I always dived into the midst of a group... banzai! :lol:

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Update: http://rpgwatch.com/show/newsbit?newsbit=7494

The busy as a bee community team released their new Unofficial Gothic 3 Community Patch today. v1.5.2's fix list is short - but in this case size does not matter:

Changes for Community Patch 1.5.2:
Deactivation of the copy protection
(no disk check -> improved load times)
(includes Microsoft VB C++ Redistributable SP1)
(fixed: Universe Edition -> forced windowed mode due to typo in ge3.ini)
(now includes correct ge3.ini from CP 1.5.0)
(automatically uninstalls older CPs)

The compatiblity list is also worth a look:
Compatible language versions:
German, English, French, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Polish, Hungarian, Czech, Chinese (simple), Chinese (traditional), Universe Edition, Gamesload, download versions, (probably every G3 version worldwide)

This means CP 1.5.2 is compatible to the Gothic Universe bundle!
Thought you should know. I'll check this out myself during the holiday break, I think.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
To whom it may concern:

Since Nedrah's been getting on my nerves over a modification my twelve-years-old sister without any modding experience could make in five minutes, here are some links.

The mod I use is based on Lothario's Modpack which is originally a magic mod but I believe the new version makes more changes to the Perk system in general.

Anyway, my mod is slightly different (besides changing only three spells). Lothario increased the cost of the spells to 10 LP and also increased the Ancient Knowledge reqirement. I increased the mana cost by 10 instead.
I included Destroy Evil, greatly reducing the mana cost. If you don't like that, you can delete the template. I trust you'll recognize the right one.
Since I didn't bother with a readme, let me remind you that the mod needs to be extracted into the Gothic3\Data\ folder with the folder structure intact.

Sorry for the delay. Christmas and stuff.

PS: I don't really have a sister. And you need one or two custom programs for modding G3 to do it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom