Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Gothic 3 interview at TVG

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Gothic III; Piranha Bytes

<a href=http://www.totalvideogames.com>Total Video Games</a> has posted a <a href=http://www.gothic3.com/>Gothic 3</a> <a href=http://www.totalvideogames.com/articles/Gothic_III_Q&A_Feature_8738_5204_0_0_0_0_20.htm>interview</a> with Stefan Burger, the marketing guy, and Kai Rosenkranz, the in-house composer, sound designer, visual effects & 2D graphics guy, and something-to-do-with-the-website guy. Yes, that's quite a list.
<br>
<br>
Anyway, here are some interesting bits:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>For Gothic 3 we tried to maintain the original look-and-feel and at the same time add some innovative features where it makes sense. For those game players who are familiar with the predecessors, the third part will feel like home, but with some fresh and appropriate changes. One of the most significant alterations will be the reinvented combat/skills-system. We have overhauled the original approach and replaced the handful of skills from Gothic 2 with a huge amount of mini-talents. While the game players could do nothing but increase the numerical value of their skill up to 100% back then, they will now be able to form their very own talents by combining their preferred mini-talents.
<br>
<br>
In the intro of Gothic 3 you will see the ship shortly before the arrival on the mainland. You see burning cities and humans which are running away from the Orcs. Then you know: The Orc army has won the war against humankind. Humans are now slaves of the Orcs…
<br>
<br>
Another example is the whole story… As the Orcs have won the war against humankind the player can decide on which side he would like to play… Would he like to help the humankind against the Orcs or stay on the side of the Orcs?? Maybe a gamer would like to stay in the middle… When you help the Orcs the humans will not be happy with you… When you help the humans and you kill some Orcs the Orcs will pay bounty for you…
<br>
<br>
Actions and the way you interact will not be a part of a small mission… It will be part of the full game… and you have to decide which way you want to go…
<br>
<br>
Unique Elements: The unique elements of Gothic 3 are the believable world and the different solutions for the different adventures (freedom during the whole game).
<br>
</blockquote>
<br>
This sounds very, VERY cool. Looks like the RPG genre has its champion once again.
<br>
<br>

LlamaGod

Cipher
and people scoffed at me when I said Oblivion is shit and Gothic 3 is going to kick it in the nuts

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
I like how they're marketing the game. Much more of an emphasis on expanding the original games and adding MORE (keyword, there) role-playing options and MORE freedom (Don't have to join a guild this time, actively affect the ending etc.). It's a breath of fresh air from the usual RPG preview slosh we're getting nowadays (Graphics and voice-acting!).

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
I did enjoy both Gothics over Morrowind. Although I didn't really like the first Gothic all that well. If they can pull what they claim off (sound familiar...) then it should be pretty nice.

geminito

Liturgist
If the twitch combat is as awkward and difficult as Gothic 2, I probably won't get too far with Gothic 3 either. If reload wasn't hot-keyed in Gothic 2, I would not have played it as long as I could.

Fight, die, reload. Fight, die, reload. Fight, die, reload. Fight, get lucky, survive, quick save. Fight, die, reload. Uninstall.

I just couldn't do it. Maybe it would be easier with a gamepad or joystick or something. I dunno.

Drakron

Arcane
I think that my main issue with combat is that ... well ... I like having just to press one key to attack, not having to press 2 of then.

There is a lot of things they sould improve, a mouse driven inventory is one along a mouse driven for when we open any window.

Its nice to hear they are shaping it and I hope Gothic players dont get pissed over how its becaming more a RPG.

Jinxed

Liturgist
I just hope we don't wait 324345356 years for an english version. They are getting a lot of hype nowadays so I think they're aiming for a multi national release.

Drakron

Arcane
I agree ... not that I particular care if it gets in the US in 2013 ...

truekaiser

Scholar
Drakron said:
I agree ... not that I particular care if it gets in the US in 2013 ...

i do, i do not have high hopes for the imidiate future because of several things that are happening in the real world.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Anoik said:
Mmmm, Oblivion use Speedtree... Gothic 3 use Speedtree... :lol:

Dark Age of Camelot, too, plus Rise of Legends, Auto Assault, among others, and the UT3 engine integrates with it. IDV's sitting pretty :)

Anoik

Novice
I know, i have played DAoC, for example. It is a nice tecnology.

This sounds very, VERY cool. Looks like the RPG genre has its champion once again.
He, the champion of the RPG genre using Speedtree, the next will be soil erosion, and maybe Patrick Stewart as the Nameless Hero :cool:

Vault Dweller

Developer
Your quote is fucked up. Anyway, who cares that the game has SpeedTree and may have soil erosion and famous voices? That's not why Oblivion was criticized. It's what else it has that matters.

Anoik

Novice
I like the Gothic series, and Morowind, maybe i will like Oblivion, i don't know for sure. But those words, soil erosion, Patrick Steward... well, i have see those words a lot in this forum. But you are right, who care about that? It's what else it has that matters, why to focus in those only?

voodoo1man

Liturgist
Meh, I'll believe the "freedom during the whole game" bit when I see it. Also the mini-talent thing. I didn't think there was anything broken with the way stats worked in G1 or G2, but if it ends up like the perk thing in Silent Storm that would be bad.

Vault Dweller

Developer
@ Anoik

*patiently* because it didn't look like the game has anything else, not according to previews/interviews.

Anoik

Novice
Me too. Devs say a lot of things when they are making the game, then, you buy the game... and you get Fable :roll:

truekaiser

Scholar
Anoik said:
I like the Gothic series, and Morowind, maybe i will like Oblivion, i don't know for sure. But those words, soil erosion, Patrick Steward... well, i have see those words a lot in this forum. But you are right, who care about that? It's what else it has that matters, why to focus in those only?

i belive he was useing those to make fun of the game because thats all it has to offer that would be better then morrowind

Micmu

Magister
Orcs have won eh? Looks like Gothic's world is going to be a dangerous place again - and bigger. Can't wait.
Also it was about time they've ditched those controls.

Anoik

Novice
truekaiser said:
Anoik said:

i belive he was useing those to make fun of the game because thats all it has to offer that would be better then morrowind
Morrowind was a good game for me, maybe not the best game, but i like it. It have some problems, and some limitations, it is a game. They are improving it, but they have make, in my opinion, some mistakes, like no crossbows, no spears, less skills... but i have to try the game first to know if i will like it or not.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Anoik said:
Me too. Devs say a lot of things when they are making the game, then, you buy the game... and you get Fable :roll:
Checking previous records does help. Fable? - Black&White. Oblivion? - Morrowind. Gothic 3? - Gothic 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom