Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Gothic 3: Real News and "old news" (but you might not yet know)

MWaser

Arbiter
I initially intended to make this thread only for the 2nd half of what I intend to post (and just to name the thread "Level Scaling in Gothic 3" but I decided to practice my clickbait proficieny instead), but I noticed that nobody has talked about Gothic 3 here in a while so I reckon some people who might have some interest in it might have missed something vaguely new, so I'll mention it. The fan modders recently released an engine patch for Gothic 3, called the Parallel Universe patch. I was coincidentally playing it right around the time it released, so I gave it a try. I can safely say that its advertisements are not in vain, for it does make the game run far, far better, essentially cuts loading times by 50+% and reduces stuttering to unnoticeable levels for majority of the time. The changelog contained therein also mentions some pretty fancy-sounding improvements to pathfinding, but I can pretty safely declare that this is not to be trusted: NPCs still get stuck on invisible walls, walk through real walls/terrain and all kinds of other nonsense. Nonetheless, cutting the loading times in half makes the game way less annoying in of itself, so that's something.

And, in completely unrelated mention, that I will contain within the same thread because I see no point in making another thread: in occasion of having played G3 again recently, and with my personal newfound wisdom of being able to now read and comprehend German, I've read up about the damage formulas in Gothic 3 (which I've never seen described in any english-speaking community). Turns out, the damage formulas and enemy protection are all uniform and based solely on "enemy level" and "enemy max level". But the current level, responsible for enemy damage, scales with the Player Character level, up until it hits the enemy max level. I found that strange, since in spite of having played the game a few times, I never actually noticed the level scaling, so I decided to experiment a bit with the help of the console to check some NPC templates, and here are my recorded results for damage dealt to the PC by enemies at various levels:

Base enemy stats templates:
Wolf: starting level 0, max level 20
Light bandit: starting level 0, max level 20
Bandit: starting level 10, max level 30
Heavy bandit: starting level 15, max level 35
Snapper: starting level 15, max level 25​

Wolf quick attack damage:
PC level 0: 11 damage
PC level 5: 19 damage
PC level 10: 26 damage
PC level 15: 32 damage
PC level 20: 38 damage​

Light bandit - bow, arrow projectile damage:
PC level 0: 11 damage
PC level 20: 39 damage​

Light bandit - melee regular attack:
PC level 0: 9 damage
PC level 20: 39 damage​

Snapper:
PC level 0: 18 damage quick attack, 60 damage strong attack
PC level 20: 22 damage quick attack, 90 damage strong attack​

So, yeah. Level scaling. I never noticed, but it's definitely there, and the difference is actually pretty staggering. It makes it so that you're better off doing combat-related quests early on at the start, otherwise trying to fight bandits and wolves will destroy you if you started off levelling up on non-combat quests and getting non-combat skills since everything will do 2-3x more damage than it would if you started doing these quests early, which makes for incredibly counter-intuitive game design. But it's not like Gothic 3 was ever known for having particularly good game design, was it?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Level scaling in G3 is especially dumb since you don't get any sort of immediate benefit from levelling up compared to G1/G2 where you at least got hitpoints for doing so.

If you don't spend your LP immediately, your character is actually becoming weaker with every level up.

Never knew this was a thing, but a lot of retarded shit from G3 suddenly makes a lot of sense.

BruceVC

Magister
Great post and thanks for sharing, Gothic 3 is my favorite in the series. Yes its also the first one I played but I love the large open world and the different types of geography like the grasslands, snow bound mountains and then the desert. I also liked the difficulty of finding all the Fire Chalices

When I replay Gothic 3 I will use your recommended Mod

Codex Year of the Donut
Does it let you crank the simulation radius up further without performance tanking?
The game has a surprising amount of stuff going on when you can do that.

The fan quest and content packs are good btw, did not like the rebalance patch though, never felt like I was making any progress with it.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
No mods will ever fix the real problem, the nonsensical dogshit story and setting.
Yep all they are doing is putting lipstick on a pig. The story is trash, the quests are shit and combat is a tavesty nothing will fix it. Remeber great exploration from previous gothic nothing like it here enjoy griding shitty chests and you will maybe find something interesting after your grinded 100 of them.

Last edited:

Konjad

⛏
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Remember how amazing storytelling and quests were in Gothics? How much attention to details was given? How even simplest tasks had a story you could recall and inscribed memories? Gothic 3 throws it all out the window for copy-pasted quests and locations.

I do not mean it figuratively. The entire world is filled with many towns. You can traverse through three different kingdoms/areas - from their farms to their capitals. The problem is: They all have the very same quests to get +++ reputation, so you can meet the leader, do a quest for him and get an artifact that you need to collect from another fed-ex quest (from Xardas/Rhobar). ALL quests are extremely simplistic and devoid of story. You meet many people, no matter if these are old friend NPCs, the king or just random people on the street - they all have only very few uninteresting lines that just tell you what to do for their fed-ex quest, and after you complete it you forget about them. There are no stories told. Have you seen the outro of Gothic 2 and you had many questions? Now when you meet Xardas he only says "I devoured the power of dragons! Now bring me 6 artifacts". The same if you meet the king himself: "We lost the war, so now I need 6 artifacts!".

Instead of faction choice, now you get +++ points in factions by doing the same extremely basic tasks or freeing towns (where you just kill all orcs in a town). Mentioning orcs, I should also add that the terrifying orcs of Gothic 1/2 with their own language and tribal culture were replaced with "intelligent" orcs that are exactly like humans, but bigger and greener/more blue.

The main story I cannot criticize because it doesn't exist. You are just thrown into the world with copy-pasted everything repeating same quest over and over again. By chance you should gather all the artifacts at some point and bring them somewhere to finish the game, but I had no patience to do so. I endured through a lot of trashy games, but this one is too much. Except decent music it has no positive aspects. There is literally no motive to play it, MMOs are way more varied in quests and elaborate in their story.

If only at least it was a decent walking simulator. However, all surroundings and environments are also just copy-paste and there is no reason for exploration. This game is the opus magnum of copy-paste. It is the embodiment of repeatability. I have never in my life played a game that is even half as protracting. Even for a fan of original Gothics this game is pure garbage.

I won't even go through trouble of describing how technically bad this game is and constantly sutters for 1-3 seconds even on a modern NVMe SSD with 4 core CPU and decently powerful GPU.

Also, the part of the story with Lee's vengeance that could be developed so well: This is literally the worst quest I've ever done in a video game. You know, the backstory that begun in the first Gothic, though only mentioned there, and continued in Gothic 2. Preparing me that it is going to be one of the most interesting plots in the Gothic series as it relates to two of the main characters in the Gothic story (Lee and Rhobar). This is well worth doing, no matter how else I don't enjoy Gothic 3, because this is IT! I was looking for this story since the first Gothic!

First, he obviously had very few lines of dialogue, but I am already used to that in G3. Anyway, quest was to find teleport stones to the capital and kill the king. Alright, so I give him a teleport stone and teleport myself.

At the capital I had to fight plenty of orcs, which I did before I reached Lee. It was a bit hard and died, but broken combat makes everything possible. I just stand in a door entrance to a house and hit orcs trying to get in. Only mages or orcs using crossbows are a slight issue, so I died twice and had to reload. Eventually I kill all orcs in the city (I guess). I get to Lee, he says he will follow and off we go.

I needed a bit of patience here, because on the way Lee got stuck a few times on buildings. But eventually we manage. He gets stuck next to the entrance of the king's building, but after a few back and forwards done by me he manages to enter through the door.

I didn't expect much dialogue here, knowing G3, but got even less. Lee just says "Here's the swine. Let's go!" and attacks Rhobar (the king doesn't say anything). I help Lee and attack Rhobar too. All the guards stand around and cheer while we are killing their king.

The king dies and then guards and everybody in the cursed town from the poorest twats decide that maybe they shouldn't have let the king die and now need to kill me and Lee. This was the hardest part, had to quickload a few times because the guards that cheered before killed me here. Then once more, because Lee died. But eventually I got rid of them. Then the rest of the town by standing next to entrance and killing them one by one.

So I talk to Lee. The whole dialogue is "The king is dead!" "Yeah, my revenge is done!" "Now whatcha gonna do?" "idk yet". My dreams of interesting plot were completely shattered. The plot I was waiting for ended up being so trash as the rest of the Gothic 3, if not even worse. Completely disillusioning letdown. It was not the end yet though: Unfortunately, even such an extremely short dialogue was devastating. During the dialogue one guard and two poortwats arrived (must have missed them) and attacked Lee, and he was ignoring them and talking with me. After the dialogue Lee lived only two seconds, because by the time I unsheathed my sword he got beaten to death.

Seriously, fuck this garbage game. No patch or engine upgrade will fix this trash.

MWaser

Arbiter
Does it let you crank the simulation radius up further without performance tanking?
The game has a surprising amount of stuff going on when you can do that.

The fan quest and content packs are good btw, did not like the rebalance patch though, never felt like I was making any progress with it.
It improves overall performance by virtue of also cutting out a lot of redundant physics calls and unused functions that were killing the CPU's main thread in spite of everything else happening, as well as loading things more efficiently (as far as I understand the changelog). It can still get choppy with a lot of entities acting simultaneously (primarily can be experienced at the Desert near the Ben Sala temple), but the Parallel Universe patch is a universal performance boost.

MWaser

Arbiter
Interesting, I only really played Gothic 3 a couple years ago with the Community Patch and didn't notice anything of the sort as well. I assume you used the Community Patch?

EDIT: Just found this: https://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/108846-Level-Scaling-for-Gothic-3
yeah the community patch is a prerequisite for the Parallel Universe patch I linked to even work.

There are a few extra details (such as that a PART of the enemy weapon damage actually is put into the damage calculations using Alternative Balancing) but I cut them out of the OP due to bloated unnecessary information overload.

wishbonetail

Learned
I cannot believe it. From my thousands of hours in G3 I never noticed the level scaling. I actually praised this game for ( really huge) open world done right contrary to Oblivion. On the other hand, if it is unnoticable, maybe the open world is done right.

MWaser

Arbiter
I cannot believe it. From my thousands of hours in G3 I never noticed the level scaling. I actually praised this game for ( really huge) open world done right contrary to Oblivion. On the other hand, if it is unnoticable, maybe the open world is done right.
It becomes strangely noticeable once you know it exists. Especially if you play the game more than once with different characters in a short timespan, as you will notice that enemies such as wolves which can annihilate your mid-game character, barely even hurt you at the start due to this mechanic.

It's extra palpable if you start the game by running out of Ardea to collect shit around the world first, but most people don't play the game in such an absurd fashion.

MWaser

Arbiter
I won't even go through trouble of describing how technically bad this game is and constantly sutters for 1-3 seconds even on a modern NVMe SSD with 4 core CPU and decently powerful GPU.
Well, that's the one thing they actually managed to improve. With the patch I linked in the OP and repacked archives on an SSD (using this tool) the occassional stutters actually last below 0.5 seconds (usually only 2-3 frames, only noticeable if you're really paying attention), so the technical badness is somewhat alleviated, although it's not perfect.

Seriously, fuck this garbage game. No patch or engine upgrade will fix this trash.
This I agree with, though. In spite of being positively impressed at the fixes put in by the modding community over the years, they haven't managed to make Gothic 3 anything more than a slightly less broken and infuriating badly designed mess that it has always been. The only fun I've ever had with this game has been semi-recently, and it's only because I enjoyed experimenting with how badly this game can be broken by powergaming various builds efficiently. But few people find it fun to try and optimize shit like that, so I imagine anyone with generally good taste will still sneer at this game.

Still, I wanted to share. Thought it's interesting.

wishbonetail

Learned
It seems it's only enemy damage that changes. I'm pretty sure they have a static hp and no daedric armors so it is not that bad.

Cunt Dickula!?

I also never noticed level-scaling in G3 but that could be because it becomes piss easy after like 5 level ups.
Also the balancing is generally all over the place anyway.
You can kill an orc patrol of 4 orcs at level 2 but get devastated by a boar or wolf.
What a shitty game.

NerevarineKing

Learned
Everything feels so off about Gothic 3. Quests are all boring, the world is bland, the combat sucks. It's like PiranhaBytes forgot how to make good RPGs and made a game that feels like an offline MMO where you collect herbs and bear asses to grind rep. My issues with the game are fundamental design flaws that can't be fixed with a billion mods. The only thing worse than this game is the Gothic 3 expansion thing.

Cunt Dickula!?

Well, the plan was to rival Oblivion and it kinda does.
It rivals Oblivions shittiness.

wishbonetail

Learned
G3 doesn't have quest compass so you have to explore with maps, directions and all. Oblivion has decent quests in terms of plot, gameplay wise it is all braindead arrowhunt romp for trained monkeys.

Even as a PB long time fan Gothjc 3 is one of the first game purchases in my life where I downright regretted spending money on.

No community patch over the years ever managed to change that sentiment, no matter how many additional chances I gave it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom