Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Gothic 3 stans - Content Mod yay or nay?

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
Only very briefly fucked around in G3, figured I'd give it a go. I dont particularly care to have a "vanilla" experience since I'm already playing with alt balancing and alt ai. I installed the Content Mod primarily for the better graphics, its primarily the better draw distance I'm after.

However I see a lot of people say the content mod greatly improves the game to the point where they wouldn't play without it, while others say its fanfic tier stuff. What say ye?

Codex Year of the Donut
Becoming very repetitive. The small selection of available gear is pretty boring. Same few enemy types everywhere, sometimes they get a new color if it's in a different zone.
There's not really much of a story at all and the the world feels pretty empty outside of camps/towns.
Enjoyed the Risen games much more than this.

Restarted with Alternate Balance off, using quest pack + content mod, enjoying it a lot more tbh.
Turn up the Entity.ROI in the ge3.ini to increase the radius the world simulates at(enemies appear, NPCs act, etc.,) Game feels like it was intended to be played with a super high setting but it makes the game lag pretty bad. 8000 is a decent compromise(4000 is default)

The content added by the quest pack + content mod is mandatory, the game feels unfinished without it and it was rather good/faithful additions.
Also suggest turning "Alternate Balance" off(can't remember which mod adds it, Community Patch perhaps?), as it feels like you're simply never increasing in power with it on.

[edit]
the game is an example of those mid/late 00s game engines that were designed with the expectation that single core CPUs would continue increasing in performance at the same rate so it still runs kinda shitty btw

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
I didn't play with Content mod, but vanilla content is indeed severely lacking. The whole game is basically:

- go to town X
- clear a bunch of repetitive sidequests like "kill 6 wild boars", "bring 3 golden goblets", etc etc
- once your rep is high enough you can talk a local resistance leader into starting an unrest (or talk a local orc leader into culling morra)
- leave the town X and go to town Y

The vanilla quests are so bad, even fanfics are going to be an improvement.

notpl

Arbiter
Yeah, there's no saving gothic 3. The content mod stuff is fine, but the time you spend playing it is more time spent playing gothic 3, which is a net negative for your wellbeing.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
Becoming very repetitive. The small selection of available gear is pretty boring. Same few enemy types everywhere, sometimes they get a new color if it's in a different zone.
There's not really much of a story at all and the the world feels pretty empty outside of camps/towns.
Enjoyed the Risen games much more than this.

Restarted with Alternate Balance off, using quest pack + content mod, enjoying it a lot more tbh.
Turn up the Entity.ROI in the ge3.ini to increase the radius the world simulates at(enemies appear, NPCs act, etc.,) Game feels like it was intended to be played with a super high setting but it makes the game lag pretty bad. 8000 is a decent compromise(4000 is default)

The content added by the quest pack + content mod is mandatory, the game feels unfinished without it and it was rather good/faithful additions.
Also suggest turning "Alternate Balance" off(can't remember which mod adds it, Community Patch perhaps?), as it feels like you're simply never increasing in power with it on.

[edit]
the game is an example of those mid/late 00s game engines that were designed with the expectation that single core CPUs would continue increasing in performance at the same rate so it still runs kinda shitty btw

There was a patch (Parallel universe patch) developed for G3 last year that largely fixes the engine and multithreading, significant performance and load time improvement according to most people. Supposedly, you can further increase the performance by packing the data but the tool's instruction is only in blockhead and I refuse to read one word of g*rman.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom