Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Gothic 3: The circle is now complete

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
If you think decline means RT combat then you haven't understood anything since Oct 14, 2012.

It is a big part of it.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Nobody cares what you subjectively like.

This whole forum is about what we subjectively like. Or are there things that you "objectively like"? Jeez, continue your circle-jerk already.
No, it's not. It's about design and mechanics that have an effect on the objective quality of gameplay. There can exist a good RT game, or you can have shit RT game - whether or not you like or dislike the genre - if you consider objective qualities such as balance, variety of gameplay, tactical complexity, strategic complexity, audio, textures, animations, writing, C&C, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
See, there is quality trolling, and then there are just outright stupid/incorrect statements.

Hear hear. So you are saying that the 1st person Gothic games...
You are really not helping your own case here. Keep on digging deeper, it's fun to watch.

Also, for the record there have been genuinely excellent RPGs that were both actually 1st person (unlike Gothic) and had RT combat -- Arx Fatalis and M&M6 (well, optional RT combat there) spring to mind.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If you think decline means RT combat then you haven't understood anything since Oct 14, 2012.

It is a big part of it.
So, Deus Ex, Divinity 2, Risen, Morrowind, Fallout New Vegas were bad games?
Decline started with Pong, clearly.
You're way, way wrong. Decline obviously started with this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathode_ray_tube_amusement_device

800px-Cathode_ray_tube_amusement_device_-_schematic.jpg

Pfft, what a flashy, hipstery dumb down.

Angthoron

Arcane

It is a big part of it.
So, Deus Ex, Divinity 2, Risen, Morrowind, Fallout New Vegas were bad games?
Decline started with Pong, clearly.
You're way, way wrong. Decline obviously started with this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathode_ray_tube_amusement_device

800px-Cathode_ray_tube_amusement_device_-_schematic.jpg

Pfft, what a flashy, hipstery dumb down.
The wheel ruined everything, the dialogue wheel cemented the decline.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
So, what i get from reading most of the thread is that Gothic 3 is now considered a good game?

I hate this revisionist bullshit, the game is a piece of crap, no way around the fact.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I couldn't even bring myself to buy the Gothics when they were on sale on GOG. They look too much like the decline games of the last decade.
GET OUT. :mad:

Oh, and the end of G3 looked like they were running out of time because... they were.

I didn't hate Gothic 3, but I always felt it lacked the density of content that the first two games had that made them great. In the sense that, there was little to no wasted space in G1 or G2, and any random area you decided to explore was likely to reward you with something interesting. G3 had that to an extent, but was stuffed with a lot more filler, ala TES. Again, this is probably because they overshot and ran out of time. Oh well, we'll always have NotR.

I remember playing G3 way after the release with some mods. And while I enjoyed it at first, but making almost every side quest in it like in previous ones made me realize the same thing. It wasn't on Oblivion level of being bad, because nothing can be worse than the emptiness, and life leeching experience as that game. Attacking the Orcs camps was fun for a short time, after a while it was another thing to do to progress. The late game became a joke with overpowered character, but this isn't something new in the series. The most dissapointing was the ending. Truly, after so many hours I thought about not replaying it again. The expansion was poorly coded and only after Community Patch became playable. The map was way smaller, focused on one region, but there was no big change after G3.

Basically, if it where smaller, but with more fleshed out content, everybody would replay it like a proper trilogy.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Nobody cares what you subjectively like.

This whole forum is about what we subjectively like. Or are there things that you "objectively like"? Jeez, continue your circle-jerk already.
No, it's not. It's about design and mechanics that have an effect on the objective quality of gameplay.

There is no "objective quality of gameplay", only what each person subjectively likes or dislikes about the game. Again, there is no "objective liking", it is always subjective.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
See, there is quality trolling, and then there are just outright stupid/incorrect statements.

Hear hear. So you are saying that the 1st person Gothic games...
You are really not helping your own case here.

Again, who cares whether you look at his butt or not? It is close enough to 1st person games.

Also, for the record there have been genuinely excellent RPGs that were both actually 1st person (unlike Gothic) and had RT combat -- Arx Fatalis and M&M6 (well, optional RT combat there) spring to mind.

The almost complete abandonment of TB combat in the "mainstream" RPG's is a big part of the dumbing down and decline that happened.

Tigranes

Arcane
So, what i get from reading most of the thread is that Gothic 3 is now considered a good game?

I hate this revisionist bullshit, the game is a piece of crap, no way around the fact.

I liked it when it came out, I just though it was a pity that stunlock & DRM-60-second-stutter & loading times made it literally impossible to play. Now those things are solved, it's a pretty good sequel to G1/2.

...and I'm going to completely ignore the rest of the last two pages, for obvious reasons.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I liked it when it came out, I just though it was a pity that stunlock & DRM-60-second-stutter & loading times made it literally impossible to play. Now those things are solved, it's a pretty good sequel to G1/2.

I think G3 is a good game (with CP), but the patch cannot address the core failures such as uninteresting exploration, weak storytelling and monotonous questing. Exploration, storytelling and questing and how these three are woven together as an overall means to progression were the prime reason playing the first two Gothics was meaningful and satisfying. Gothic 3 lacked the core of what makes Gothic great, so IMO utterly failed as a sequel.

Bilgefar

Savant

It's not revisionist. VD wrote the Codex review of Gothic 3 when it came out, and was generally very positive about it. The game has always had fans here.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
It's not revisionist. VD wrote the Codex review of Gothic 3 when it came out, and was generally very positive about it. The game has always had fans here.

This is true, though VD's review goes a little too easy on the game, sort of as a reaction to the abysmal Oblivion which he favorably compares it with (understandably).

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

Okay, let me see:

Brofists Received: 60

Comparing to:

Brofists Received: 31

So you signed up ages ago and now feel smug about it?

Bilgefar

Savant

This is true, though VD's review goes a little too easy on the game, sort of as a reaction to the abysmal Oblivion which he favorably compares it with (understandably).
I agree that he went a little too easy on the game, but he wasn't just comparing it to Oblivion.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=137>Gothic 3 review

Vault Dweller said:
Gothic 3 is the latest addition, and, in my opinion, the best game in the Gothic series

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Again, who cares whether you look at his butt or not? It is close enough to 1st person games.
I was going to write a lengthy response, but then I realized that it would be somewhat akin to arguing with a wall. So suffice it to say that you are dumb and fail to grasp the meaning of simple terms.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Only took me about fifteen minutes of looking at his/her/it's posts to realize we have another early twenty-something trying too hard to fit in by bashing everything but one specific subset of old school cRPGs. Nothing to see here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom