Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Gothic 3 trashed at Rewired Mind - 2/10

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Gothic III; Piranha Bytes

A moron named Tobias Rowe from <a href=http://www.rewiredmind.com>Rewired Mind</a> has abused the freedom of the internet by posting a very short and negative <a href=http://www.rewiredmind.com/review/gothiciii>review</a> of <a href=http://www.gothic3.com>Gothic 3</a>. The score is 2/10 due to technical problems and Tobias' stupidity.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Full of repeated models, glitches and infuriating mechanics, Gothic III is a game to be missed and forgotten---instantly.</blockquote>Apparently, Tobias is a prophet.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The story continues with the series’ unnamed hero, who returns to the mainland from the island of Khorinis to discover that orcs have slaughtered and enslaved the population. Not originality at its best.</blockquote>Because every game I've ever played starts like that.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>This is not helped along at all by the very wooden voice acting and stale character animations, not to mention the fact that every orc looks identical...</blockquote>
<br>
A flat out lie.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Gothic III is an orthodox RPG but a very abysmal and repetitive one.</blockquote>If you say so, Tobias.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The recent release of Elder Scrolls: Oblivion puts Gothic III to absolute shame; since the former is by far the superior of the two and much more worthy of both your time and money. This is not simply down to the multitude of bugs Gothic III is plagued with, as it would still be a very poor game even when running at its full potential.</blockquote>Hmm...I wonder what Rewired Mind thinks of Oblivion...<a href=http://www.rewiredmind.com/review/theelderscrollsivoblivion>a massive achievement for the RPG genre ... 9/10</a>. I see...
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPG Watch</A>

Stauff

Liturgist
What an asshole.. Damn I bet it's so hard for devs to read such negative and pointless reviews. It's like with other things in this world - if some idiot spits on you and you're clever enough you'll wipe it and walk away with pride (or kick his ass seriously that depends on you :) ) but still that spit will remain in memory as something quite negative. I only hope PB devs will not be depressed a lot with current situation.

And what's even more important that Jowood guys don't get depressed and disappointed with sales figures, after all they give money..

Whipporowill

Erudite
Seems like I need to change my name before that idiot drags us poor namesakes down with him...

Anyway, does anyone know if Poison Weapons in G3 is currently buggy? Haven't managed with a poison I found on a dead alchemist (ho hum). I have the poison weapon skill and when I click on the posion it opens up the weapons I can choose - whatever I pick I get this sound effect implying I'm poisoning (bubbling stuff or whatever). However, nothing shows up on my blade - tried both forged and bought. A stack of 4 blades still remain a stack of 4 - so nothing happens even non-visually.

Top Hat

Scholar
Rewired Mind: rewired by Bethesda most likely

Full of repeated voices, glitches and infuriating interfaces, The Elder Scrolls IV is a game to be missed and forgotten---instantly.

The story continues with the series’ unnamed hero, who is released from the prison on the island where the capital city is to discover that daedra have decided that a picnic...er...invasion of the terraformed Cyrodiil is in order. Not originality at its best.

This is not helped along at all by the very repetitive voice acting and ugly character animations, not to mention the fact that every character is fascinated with walls...

TES IV is not just not a RPG but a very abysmal and repetitive game.

The not-quite-so-recent release of Elder Scrolls: Oblivion puts Gothic III on a relative pedestal of RPG virtue; since the former is by far the inferior of the two and much more worthy of being used to fertilize your garden. This is not simply down to the multitude of bugs Oblivion is plagued with, as it would still be a very poor game even when running at FULL IMMERSHUN! MODE.

filogreek

Scholar
Haha, he sounds like some angry kid writing that, especially the 2/10 score. Like the game really pissed him off or something. Why are reviewers so dense these days? I mean, it's all well and good to avoid going along with the mainstream review scores (around the 7/10 mark), but giving a score that low would have to mean something extra bad was going on with his game. I'll assume that he played it believing it was Oblivion, and went out into some dangerous area and got raped by a bunch of crazy beasts who he thought would be scaled to his level. Hmm, maybe that would have happened 10 times. And his save-game became corrupted, twice. And maybe his girlfriend left him. I seriously can't think of a reason to score a game like Gothic 3 that low, 5/10 at most.

Needle

Novice
When knocked to the floor, you drop whatever weapon you have in your hand at the time and, if this is not annoying enough, you cannot simply pick it up and start attacking again; you have to go into your inventory during combat and equip it, then draw it before you can attack again by which time you have been knocked back down to the floor.
Hahaha. This statement makes one wonder for how many minutes exactly he's been playing the game. Probably started it, got his ass kicked by a boar, decided to hate it, read some stuff about it on the internet and based on this he wrote his... well, let's call it "review".

Poor bastard, Todd and Pete must "invited" him over to Bethesda, got their hands on him and humilated/ass-raped him until he could neither type, nor say anything but "I love Oblivion" or "I really love Oblivion" or "Oblivion is the greatest game in the history of the universe" poor bastard

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
In essence this thread is deisgned for one thing in mind by the Codex Hivemind:

"WAAAAA! WAAAA! A reviewer disliked Gothic 3 and I love it so he must be stupid! WAAAA! WAAAA!"

Data4

Arcane
Volourn said:

"WAAAAA! WAAAA! A reviewer disliked Gothic 3 and I love it so he must be stupid! WAAAA! WAAAA!"

Uh... no. It's more a case of "Why in the fuck is every RPG held to the 'Oblivion Standard', when Oblivion LOWERED the standard!?"

-D4

Human Shield

Augur
Volourn said:

You mean pointing out a review that relies on voice acting and graphics to decide a score?

Top Hat

Scholar
Volourn said:

I don't have a problem with him giving a bad review to Gothic 3. From what I hear it's ridiculously buggy, and not enough game reviews are emphasizing the fact that games should be shipped in a playable state. But I've got a problem when they give Oblivion a 9/10 despite the fact that it is also horribly buggy.

If they can't be consistent, then they're just stupid.

Ladonna

Arcane
I agree. Reviewers should be more critical of games than they are.

However, this review really smells of an Oblivion forum poster who also reviews games. The wars between the two games had proponents on both sides before G3 was released, and 2/10 seems like an artificially low score, tinged with some personal agenda.

As stated, the 9/10 score for Oblivion only reinforces what I think. Then again, 98% of other reviewers did the same.....Did someone say Hivemind? :roll:

And i suppose "The Emporer is dead, find the lost heir" is the most original idea "in the history of the universe"

-Garrett-

Novice
2/10 is ridiculous. Not even Oblivion deserves that.

The bugs he outlines do sound fairly worrying. The original Gothic had very nonstandard controls (key combos! drunken strafing!) but the rest of the game was fine.

I'd say he hit the wrong keys a few times, got beat up by some weak enemy, and then gave up in disgust after about ten minutes. I hated the original Gothic for the first ten minutes too, but once I got used to the weird controls I could look past that. If you'd pulled me away from the keyboard in that first ten minutes I would also have said that the world was gorgeous but the glitched controls ruined it.

Oblivion had some terrible bugs too, but the controls were fine (other than some 360 players whining about the lack of lock-on). Within a strict ten-minute period, many reviewers would probably favour Oblivion over Gothic 3 due to the almost negligible learning curve in the former.

It's also worth pointing out that some of the things he talks about were fixed in the patch, so he either didn't search for one when he first ran into grief or he installed it and then lied about the bugs so vast no number of patches could ever cover them.

NoisyKillerHPB

Scholar
I especially like how he made a big deal out of repeating models and glitches when Oblivion certainly isn't the most functional game ever and you can't throw a dead cat off your horse without hitting a generic guard/citizen NPC.

sheek

Arbiter
Yeah, lots of Gothic fanboys in here. Kind of surprises me...

But 2/10 is exaggeratedly low. Who's heard of 'Rewired Mind' before? If it's a new site they're on the right path to losing their credibility.

kris

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
<blockquote>This is not helped along at all by the very wooden voice acting and stale character animations, not to mention the fact that every orc looks identical...</blockquote>

Just like asians!

Noceur

Liturgist
"This is not helped along at all by the very wooden voice acting and stale character animations, not to mention the fact that every orc looks identical..."

WTF? And then he goes on to say that Oblivion is better in every aspect. Gothic 3's animations are fair to good, whilst Oblivion lacks anything I'd ever call animation.

Regardless, I've put Gothic 3 on my shelf until it's more patched.

psycojester

Arbiter
Yeah i prefer the Oblivion voice acting, i mean just look at the beggars. Lower class cockney accent to upper class refinement in the blink of an eye!

Now thats quality voice acting, you don't see orcs with that kind of range

ixg

Erudite
Honestly, G3 doesn't sound that great. Fanbois!
However, we all know Oblivion sucked and comparing the two reviews...the reviewer is a tard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom