Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Review Gothic 3 vs Oblivion at Gamers Europe

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Vault Dweller, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Tags: Gothic III; Piranha Bytes

<a href=http://www.gamerseurope.com>Gamers Europe</a> has posted a negative <a href=http://www.gamerseurope.com/articles/821>review</a> of <a href=http://www.gothic3.com>Gothic 3</a>, giving it 6/10 because it's not as awesome as Oblivion:
    <br>
    <br>
    <blockquote>Gothic 3 as an RPG is a fair contribution to a crowded genre (? - VD) where a few notable games shine brightly. One of these is a game called The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion. Both are RPG games with similar ideas. Gothic 3 alludes to competing with Oblivion, but it is beaten in sheer scope and completeness. As I mentioned of Jowood, parts of Gothic 3 are quite obviously unfinished, most notably some of the towns in the desert where details trail off like an old coot telling a rambling story that doesn’t appear to be going anywhere. Or something like that. There can be a lengthy debate about which game is better but I’ll save us all time and say that Oblivion wins on panache. Everything about it is just somehow slightly better. If I had to pick the tie breaker, it’d be the memory leaks issuing forth from Gothic 3. Although Piranha Bytes developers such as Carsten say these are due to be fixed, my belief is that such a high level of community involvement is unprofessional. By all means, appoint a community representative to voice concerns to the development team, but don’t waste valuable time posting in forums when there is a job to be done.
    <br>
    <br>
    When Oblivion shipped it looked like a fine block of polished marble. Gothic 3 shipped looking like a slice of pizza on a Sunday, released into the world by its makers at a stage where it was only really half cooked. Many would regard such an offering with blatant indifference. Although it is gooey, grainy, raw and tasteless in places, a few minutes in the microwave fixes it right up.</blockquote>No comments.
    <br>

^ Top  
  2. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    And? :?

^ Top  
  3. MountainWest Scholar

MountainWest
    Eh? When every other site gives G3 abyssmal reviews because of it's bugs, PB shouldn't assure the community and potential costumers they are working to fix them? Yes, very unprofessional...

^ Top  
  4. OccupatedVoid Arbiter

OccupatedVoid
    Oblivious was more of a polished turd than a block of polished marble.

^ Top  
  5. Hazelnut Erudite

Hazelnut
    :roll:

^ Top  
  6. somnium Scholar

somnium
    i am not going to bother responding to the whole review, but i just had to comment on a few fragments because of the unbelievable idiocy.

Which is of course so much better then not posting on the forums and letting the fans do all the real fixing and expanding the game while they make money by selling mods that
    are 1/10 to 5/10 of the quality.

what the fuck ?!

while he has a point in some of these things.
    Since when is realism (hefty fall damage and not pausing when you are opening your inventory ) and actually having the game respond to what you say automatically a bad thing ?

Not only can't they review gothic 3 and rate it for it's unique strengths and weaknesses but instead they do a point by point comparison to oblivion. But they still mange to fill it with an astounding amount of contradiction and hypocrisy.
    Like the "difficulty" of getting way stones and the missing in game walkthrough is automatically seen as a bad point. That the RAI comparaison versus the Gothic AI is never made.
    they whine about the duplication bug and how the company relies on the community for it fixes while it is the same with oblivions, if not worse

^ Top  
  7. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    That review is priceless. And here I thought all europeans were "smart".

^ Top  
  8. suibhne Erudite

suibhne
    Wow. I'm starting to see the wisdom of Rumsfeld's point that we should nuke Old Europe and move on.

Many of the recent G3 reviews have confirmed the bitterest cynics among us: Oblivion broadly influenced reviewers' ideas of good game design. Non-RPG fans are now reviewing RPGs with the expectation that they be "like Oblivion" - and post-Oblivion, all RPG/adventure games are expected to be designed for total fucking morons.

^ Top  
  9. Texas Red Whiner

Texas Red
    Eh? Old Europe made Gothic while America created Oblivion in the first place.

^ Top  
  10. fizzelopeguss Arcane

fizzelopeguss
    Trying to troll like volourn, he's simply not in the same league though.

^ Top  
  11. WittyName Scholar

WittyName
    Not much to pick apart. He states Oblivion is a better game and more 'polished' but doesn't get into too many specifics. I agree with his main critiques of combat and the overall bugs related to memory, etc. He's probably right that Oblivion was more polished when it was released but that doesn't necessarily make it a better game.

^ Top  
  12. Texas Red Whiner

Texas Red
    Hmmm, Gothic 3 seems like a source of positive reviews for *Oblivion*. And during the holidays... what luck.

^ Top  
  13. The Vanished One Prophet

The Vanished One
    I've seen worse reviews.

imo G3 and Oblivion are not so similar, and Oblivion should not be held as a standard to review games.

btw, Italy's most important PC games magazine gave G3 9/10 a month ago. Maybe is too much, but they also gave 9 to Oblivion.

^ Top  
  14. flushfire Augur

flushfire
    wtf. developers shouldn't even take a bath, it's unprofessional. :lol:

not a big fan of G3, but developers spending some time talking to the consumers is always good imo.

^ Top  
  15. Perishiko Scholar

Perishiko
    I'm confused... These are all negative things?

^ Top  
  16. HardCode Erudite

HardCode
    Just another bunch of morons who received an "incentive" check from Bethesda, I bet.

^ Top  
  17. Zomg Arbiter

Zomg
    The worst thing about hype victims is that they can't really acknowledge that they were scammed - the cognitive dissonance is just too much. So, the only way they can deal with the guilt of pretending to like things that are transparently vapid is, insidiously, to infect others, spread the shame around and indemnify themselves in case anyone goes, "Wait a minute..."

^ Top  
  18. Vidken Novice

Vidken
    Yeah, since Oblivion combat is just so challenging and unpredictable.

We could also state that the only character that physically jumps in Oblivion is the player, and how they can kill anything with the newbie flare spell by standing on a rock and sniping, but that would be inconvenient for our comparison.

NPCs talking about mudcrabs every other time they open their mouth is just so much better.

Because not only did Oblivion not have a dupe bug, but it's really cool that you can only see six fucking items at a time in the inventory!

^ Top  
  19. Shoelip Arbiter

Shoelip
    Wow, reading that quote from the review was like watching Peter on Family Guy. Well except that it's not a parody, but a real person, so there's the pity factor.

^ Top  
  20. stargelman Scholar

stargelman
    It's like there's a contest with a huge cash prize for the most idiotic review making the most idiotic (and deeply flawed) comparissons between Oblivion and Gothic. Most of what is critizised of G3 is also present in Oblivion, except the incredible amount of bugs. :lol:

^ Top  
  21. Shoelip Arbiter

Shoelip
    True, true, Oblivion only had a medium number of bugs. :lol:

^ Top  
  22. whatusername Scholar

whatusername
    Oblivion had more game design flaws than bugs, like the quest compass and "I saw a mudcrab the other day"/"I heard the Fighters Guild is recruiting".

^ Top  
  23. Perishiko Scholar

Perishiko
    I just thought everyone payed for the version with an in-game walkthrough... How confused was I?

^ Top  
  24. Diogo Ribeiro Erudite

Diogo Ribeiro
    This sounds the kind of complaint that Baldur's Gate fans made back in the day, complaining how it was too difficult to manage the inventory with enemies attacking at the same time. Seriously, what's up with that? It always striked me as a fairly balanced thing - have hotkeys for quick items to be used in combat, but if you need to search the bottom of your backpack for an item because of your lack of preparation then you should suffer the consequences in combat.

Challenge, you're dead. And I hardly knew ye.

^ Top  
  25. Texas Red Whiner

Texas Red
    That was an issue? How about, I dont know, pressing pause before opening the inventory?

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.