Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Gothic 3 warms the cockles of GamerDad

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Tags: Gothic III; Piranha Bytes

<a href=http://www.gamerdad.com/>GamerDad</a> has finished their <a href=http://www.gamerdad.com/detail.cfm?itemID=3495>review</a> (dare I say footnote?) of the poster child for biased mainstream reviewers, <a href=http://www.gothic3.com/>Gothic 3</a>. While there is a mandatory mention of the game's technical problems, GamerDad seems to recognize some merit in the game and awards it a <b>4 out of 5</b>:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>
<br>
Unfortunately some of those choices are hampered by the unpolished state of the game as released. I was fortunate that the version released by Aspyr ran very well on my system, and I completed the 100 hour trek through the game without once crashing to the desktop. I had tons of quest completion issues and other bugs, including places where there was no text or voiced dialogue during an entire conversation. Also, while the magic and ranged combat systems are very good, the melee combat system sometimes boils down to a click-fest won by whoever connected the first hit. Finally, while it is nice to have a single load screen, the trade-off is that the game is unlikely to perform better than ‘acceptable' on anything other than the most powerful computers available. The result is a very fractured experience – there is a lot about this game that is truly excellent, ‘game of the year' type stuff, but littered amongst that is a ton of broken quests, bugs, filler and other moments of frustration where you wonder if the quest you are trying to complete is broken or if you just need to try harder. I highly recommend this to hardcore role-players with powerful computers who are willing to persevere in the pursuit of the great experience Gothic 3 can provide.
<br>
</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Can't argue with that. There's certainly more to Gothic 3 than most reviewers cared to look for.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com/">RPG Watch</A>

Honest review imo.

Read this, Jack Thompson:

We at GamerDad are dedicated to the following propositions.

* Games are not harmful to kids. This hasn't been proven, of course, but despite what you may have heard or read causality has likewise, never been proven.
* Good parenting = involved and informed parenting. You can't keep kids from what they love. But you can remain involved. GamerDad will help you do that.
* That we can't tell you how or what to think. Read our reviews and articles and come to your own conlcusions. We aren't pro-gaming evangelists. We're just talking about games. Join the discussion with us, and your kids.

* We don't think it's wrong, bad, evil, or dangerous to let your kids play M-Rated games! Really. We don't recommend it but we're not going to judge you. All we ask is that you stay informed and involved. Supervise how they play, play with them, be involved, talk about it.

elander_

Arbiter
It's suprising they gave such an high score for a game that aparently has so much screwed quests as they say. Nobody understand these reviews.

elander_ said:
It's suprising they gave such an high score for a game that aparently has so much screwed quests as they say. Nobody understand these reviews.

I found three screwed quests, none of which were particularly important.

Zomg

Arbiter
Man, is the beginning of the demo the same as the full game? The execution of the beginning is just terrible - you have no idea how to control your character, you haven't been given a chance to fiddle with settings, and you're thrown into a big confusing melee. They should have had some little skippable quasi-tutorial on the boat to let you get a feel for the controls, combat options, etc. I think that reviewers, most of whom probably don't see much more than a half-dozen hours or so into the game, probably put a glass ceiling over the score after that.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Don't play the demo if you plan on buying the game, anyways! It's a trick to babozoo you to ruin your full game after spending hours on it!!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom