Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Gothic 3.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I am going to buy the Gothic series off steam and I was wondering if Gothic 3 is worth buying. I’ve read on here it sucks ass, however, will I still like it, if I like the first two games?

Murk

Arcane
With community patch it's a great hiking simulator with awesome atmosphere, music, and pretty cool environments.

Not a good game, but fun can be had. Easily worth 5 dollars, I'd say.

Danikas

Arcane
I am going to buy the Gothic series off steam and I was wondering if Gothic 3 is worth buying. I’ve read on here it sucks ass, however, will I still like it, if I like the first two games?
I played Gothic 1,2 when they released, had high hopes for Gothic 3 bought it on release. I stopped playing after 10 hours havent returned to it ever since. This game broke my teenage heart harder than my first gf when she dumped me.

This guy explains everything that's wrong with it.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
With community patch it's a great hiking simulator with awesome atmosphere, music, and pretty cool environments.

Maybe worth 5 bucks, but certainly not worth the time it takes to finish it.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Worth playing just for the music. Just don't use alternative combat, or you will want to killl yourself.
Playing mage is adviced.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's a good game, just avoid melee combat. Seriously, no amount of patching or modding can fix melee, the system is inherently broken and I wouldn't hold it against anyone if he quits the game after he gets stunlocked to oblivion by an oversized chicken.

Play mage or archer. Worldbuidling and atmosphere is fine, not close to the first two games but enjoyable enough. There are some questpacks and consequence mods I'd recommend but if it's your first time use the community patch and go in raw.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Gothic 3 is ok. Just don't buy "Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods".

Still better than Arcania.

------------------------------------------------

TAlking about Risen, i wanna re play Risen but there are an problem. Is extremely rare for me to like melee in a game and i like few ones like M&B melee and wanna play as an mage. I can't find an single save on internet that let me skip all boring questing and when i search about cheats, they always write long lists showing how to obtain any weapon in the game, but not an single rune or crystal

https://www.ign.com/wikis/pc-cheats/Risen_Cheats#More_Cheats

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/952152-risen/cheats

http://www.cheatbook.de/files/risen.htm

If need to play on melee for 20 hours again, i honestly rather play Gothic 3 again....

EDIT : Thanks Autocomplete. Now i can enjoy the game...

H2t77la.png

Last edited:

barghwata

Savant
If you go into it expecting something similliar to a gothic 1 or 2 you will be severely dissapointed; gothic 3 is quite different, it's an open world/sandbox type Arpg kind of like TES in a way, and unlike the firt two games it has tons of secondary content to go through, so if you enjoy the combat you will have a lot to do in the game, it also has more factions and a reputation system and there are some fun quests where you can side with one faction or the other.
needless to say, you need the community patch of course.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Isn't becoming a mage in Risen just the matter of giving in to those monastery kidnappers asap?

No, you need to complete tons of quests to enter voluntarily and then more tons of quests to become an mage... And most of the quests are pretty boring. Gothic 3 respect more non melee fans since you can have decent archery early on and get ancient knowledge without an great effort. Gothic 2 allow you to easily access to scrolls earlier on but require an risen-like questline to become an mage.

If you go into it expecting something similliar to a gothic 1 or 2 you will be severely dissapointed; gothic 3 is quite different, it's an open world/sandbox type Arpg kind of like TES in a way, and unlike the firt two games it has tons of secondary content to go through, so if you enjoy the combat you will have a lot to do in the game, it also has more factions and a reputation system and there are some fun quests where you can side with one faction or the other.

IMO Gothic 2 is better than 3, but G3 had problems with the publisher forcing PB to launch the game before it was ready. This is why some parts of the map lacks verticality and the game is buggy as hell.

barghwata

Savant
IMO Gothic 2 is better than 3, but G3 had problems with the publisher forcing PB to launch the game before it was ready. This is why some parts of the map lacks verticality and the game is buggy as hell.

Personally i enjoyed gothic 3 more then 2, because i played it before 1 and 2 and went into it blind without reading reviews or having any excpectations from the game whatsoever and i played it with the community patch so i didn't suffer from any bugs thoughout my playthrough.
but in the codex i assume this is considered blasphemy.

Murk

Arcane

Maybe worth 5 bucks, but certainly not worth the time it takes to finish it.

No need to finish it at all; in games like G3 I often can't be bothered toward the end anyway since the fun is in the exploration, finding new loot, and "getting strong enough". The end game is just like 2-3 quests anyway and isn't really all that exciting. Just watch the intro to Risen 1, it's basically the ending of Gothic 3 but better done.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Personally i enjoyed gothic 3 more then 2, because i played it before 1 and 2 and went into it blind without reading reviews or having any excpectations from the game whatsoever and i played it with the community patch so i didn't suffer from any bugs thoughout my playthrough.

Degenerates like you belong in an Oblivion thread.

barghwata

Savant

Degenerates like you belong in an Oblivion thread.

Wait, are you somehow implying that oblivion is anything less then a masterpiece, how dare you ?? :negative:

catfood

AGAIN
The temperate and desert areas are ok, I 'd say they're worth a play through but the northern region is nothing but a boring slog through thousands of orcs. Don't bother with the end game. It's not worth your sanity.

Murk

Arcane
Man, I loved accidentally wandering into Nordmar my first time around through one of the smaller mountain passes you get to via the forest. Was amazing.

Also, OP, go play Elex.

YldriE

Learned
Gothic 3 is Piranha Bytes' Morrowind: on its face it's clunky and every single aspect of its design is full of holes. But if you allow yourself to get sucked in (no homo), then it's a powerful game that gives tons of "I remember that one time when..." and semi-open quests that you solve more or less by doing your thing around the world until you somehow stumble upon the solution. Hard to replay because it does feel random sometimes, but the first time is a treat.

If you aren't an English speaker, you should also try giving a shot to either the German VA or your own (if available). When I played Forsaken Gods, which wasn't dubbed in my language, I felt like half the magic was gone due to the mediocre English VA, even discounting Forsaken Gods' own faults.

And of course you don't go full melee. Bows are great both in raw feel, and in allowing you to cheese through hard encounters.

Man, I loved accidentally wandering into Nordmar my first time around through one of the smaller mountain passes you get to via the forest. Was amazing.
But you missed out on this.

Murk

Arcane
In later trips (and in subsequent playthroughs) I went through the larger pass too, of course. The game has a ton of stuff, and while a lot of it is shallow, it's still fun to experience.

The music in this game really is something else though. Damn shame Rosenkranz isn't still doing it.

But he is apparently doing a let's play with Mike Hoge, like a month ago:

EDIT: Actually, I guess he is still working on game music.

Morkar Left

It's quite different compared to the first two games regarding gameplay and game mechanics. You are not a nobody anymore and character progression is more open. But it brings the trilogy to conclusion and provides a great open world.

Don't ever play without community patches! Personally I would highly recommend going with the mods questpaket (quest package) as well as the content mod. They close the gaps to the first two games and solve some continuity and logic problems with the plot.
Make sure you install the consequences mod too when installing content mod (it's included, should be a checkmark).

If you just want to run to the conclusion don't use alternative balancing but personally I recommend using it.
For the more traditional Gothic gameplay choose the hardest difficulty. Normal is fine too if you keep in my mind that at the time you're not a scrub anymore.

JDR13

Arcane
We needed another Gothic 3 thread? You couldn't use the other one?

Also, anyone claiming G3 is as good as the first two games or better than Risen is either blind or fully autistic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom