Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Gothic 3.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Degenerates like you belong in an Oblivion thread.

Oblivion manages to be worst in some aspects(enemy scaling for eg) than Skyrim. Gothic 3 in other hands despite not being good as G1/G2 in world design, quest design, etc gives much more freedom to the player compared to previous games. Arguably Gothic 3 has the best magical and ranged combat of all PB games, and the best first person experience.

Also, anyone claiming G3 is as good as the first two games or better than Risen is either blind or fully autistic.

Or prefer player freedom. Gothic 3 is buggy, dumbed down some aspects of gothic, but gives much more player freedom to the player. Risen, is a good game AFTER the first chapter...

thesecret1

Arcane
Gothic 3 is a perfect example of a game that was too ambitious for the devs. The map's really much bigger than it needs to, and you can tell the devs struggled mightily trying to fill it with content, especially with the faction multiplying the workload, the storyline seems like something quickly whipped up in an afternoon, the mechanics are far from polished... A lot of the content feels really disjointed from everything - everything is more or less self-contained and you see a lot less things really working with the world like G1 and 2 did. Really, the game just screams "rushed" at me at every opportunity, and it's a great shame the devs didn't decide to cut like a third of the map to focus on the rest instead. Series-wise, it's a massive disappointment, individually, the game is a fairly mediocre RPG. It's worth a playthrough if you're hungry for an RPG you haven't played yet, but don't expect to return to it afterwards.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
https://thenocturnalrambler.blogspot.com/2019/09/gothic-3-sucks-fan-critique.html

"IN CONCLUSION

Gothic 3 probably isn't so bad as to warrant the "Gothic 3 Sucks" title, but it's a game that's so thoroughly mediocre and generally underwhelming, while feeling needlessly bloated and excessively long, with some really illogical design elements and things that just don't make sense given the history of the first two games, that I can't recommend it to anyone in good conscience. There's some good stuff to enjoy in Gothic 3, and it still has some of that unique Piranha Bytes charm, but it's all buried under tons of bad design choices and horrible execution, and the good stuff just isn't good enough to justify sifting through all the bad stuff just to find it. And while some people insist that it's a fine, decent, or even good game with the community patch, the patch is simply that -- a patch, a bandage over a huge gaping wound that stops the bleeding but doesn't suture or disinfect the wound. The community patch, while admirable and definitely worth using, only goes so far as to make the game playable by fixing so many of the glaring bugs and tweaking the combat enough to bring it up from "completely broken" to "at least functional." It doesn't (and cannot) change things like the core combat mechanics, or the boring, tedious quest design, or the bland and shallow world design, or the almost complete lack of a main story. It's just not a very good game, and it's a horrible conclusion to what was, until Gothic 3, an utterly brilliant and masterful series."

^There, listen to this guy

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Gothic 1, 2, and 3 bundle is like $3 during Steam sales (or used to be) so there's no reason not to buy it (I think it's actually the only way you can get G1 on Steam). Is it worth playing... eh... no. And, yes, there's already a couple of Gothic 3 threads.

TheNocturnalRambler

Barely Literate
Based on my personal experience and what I've heard from a lot of other Gothic fans, if you like Gothic 1 and 2 then you'll probably be disappointed by Gothic 3. Some people say it's still a good game if you don't play it with a Gothic mindset, but even just regarding it as a stand-alone RPG I find it extremely disappointing and underwhelming. I recently put together a thorough review/analysis of Gothic 3 that goes into a lot of detail on all of its various shortcomings, which I think should be pretty comprehensive, but it does have some minor spoilers for all three games so view it at your own discretion.

harhar!

Augur
Based on my personal experience and what I've heard from a lot of other Gothic fans, if you like Gothic 1 and 2 then you'll probably be disappointed by Gothic 3. Some people say it's still a good game if you don't play it with a Gothic mindset, but even just regarding it as a stand-alone RPG I find it extremely disappointing and underwhelming. I recently put together a thorough review/analysis of Gothic 3 that goes into a lot of detail on all of its various shortcomings, which I think should be pretty comprehensive, but it does have some minor spoilers for all three games so view it at your own discretion.

It's gud, you should do some more reviews of the Risens and Elex.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

I only watched part of your video. I agree with a lot of points BUT for example, on "combat", you only looked into melee combat. And yes, melee combat on G3 is awful. Attack spam and the fact that spears have the same animation of swords makes no sense.

For those who enjoy playing as an mage, Gothic 3 offers an greater advantage over previous games. You can at the begining of the game, pick some herbs and learn ancient knowledge, while on G1/2 you need to do an insane amount of quests to learn basic magic and can't use magic often due the game forcing me to be on melee for dozens of hours. Archery on G1/2 is awful, since you can't aim. As for fireball on G3(mentioned around 19 min), i strongly disagree. In mid game, i was using Rain of Fire, Summon golem, Bloodlust, Hailstorm, Ice Lance, etc. Honestly, looks like you only learned Innos magic.

And Ancient knowledge isn't an "only damage buff stat", you need high ancient knowledge to get magical related skills and to learn powerful spells.

Around 22 minutes. Sure, G3 has no 3 factions that impacts a lot like previous games, but fight for rebels VS orcs, follow the Xardas idea, Innos or Beliar path, etc are decisions.

In nutshell, i agree with most of your critiques. Gothic 3 is a good elder scrolls game, but an awful Gothic game. Since was my first gothic game and i like to use spells in high fantasy games(or tech in sci fi games), i liked G3 but understand and agree with most of your points.

PS : Please. Do an Arcania - Gothic 4 review or Forsaken gods expansion review

YldriE

Learned
Funny, I used to think ArcaniA was an acceptable baby's first RPG. It's a typical "checklist" game, i.e. someone got a memo of what an RPG should be like and blindly jumped through the hoops.

Hero from backwater village on a quest for revenge, dialogues where you choose between good / mean answers, multidirectional combat with block / hold-to-charge / dodge / cast, typical fantasy weapons and spells, XP to unlock random perks, sneaking, lockpicking, crafting, grandiose music, day-night cycle, ruins, forests, temples, anything you think should be in an action-RPG is there.

It's all there, except of course none of it is really good or well thought-out. Venetica, Sudeki or Bound by Flame for example work as unremarkable games that have charm if you are in the mood. ArcaniA isn't really as pleasant to play as these two, and it has the additional burden of bearing the Gothic name with all the expectations that come with it. I played through it, I didn't hate, but by God I was just lazily going through the motions.

Kingdoms of Amalur is still the king of "formulaic but excellent" baby's first aRPG if you don't feel like tackling the big names like Dragon's Dogma or Dark Souls.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It is a good game,for me is a favourite game. Combat tho is shit and runs like it is made in 2020. But the exploration and the content is second to none. It have a huge world and there is a ton of shit to do in it. There is a ton of unique cities and a lot of side content. It is worth the money! Make sure to install the fan patch ;).

Also notice that most opinions here come from people that watched a video or their favourite streamer didn't like it.

Neither Gothic 3 or Arcania are terrible games. They are just so inferior to Gothic 2 that they might as well be unplayable pieces of hot garbage (G3 less so than Arcania). If you were to play Arcania as someone who has never played an RPG you'll be met with an 'okay' game.

Gothic 3 is trash. I tried to get into it several times, once when it first came out, and at least 2-3 times since then, using the community patch. Each time, I give up after several hours.

You have to understand something. I generally love Piranha Bytes games. Gothic 1, Gothic 2, Risen 1, and ELEX are some of my all-time favorites. But Gothic 3 is just trash. It feels like trash, from the very beginning.

Deleted Member 16721

I enjoyed it. Immersive, huge, interesting mechanics like hunting and faction mechanics, town sieges and the usual handplaced and handcrafted world PB is known for. I have to go back sometime.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Neither Gothic 3 or Arcania are terrible games. They are just so inferior to Gothic 2 that they might as well be unplayable pieces of hot garbage (G3 less so than Arcania). If you were to play Arcania as someone who has never played an RPG you'll be met with an 'okay' game.

Compared to other games of his time(Oblivion for eg), Gothic 3 is an good game. Compared to older gothic games, is inferior in melee combat, story, lore, world building and only superior in archery and magical combat Arcania is different. Has most things(if not all) that i hate in modern games...

Lambach

Arcane
Why doesn't Gothic 3 have female NPCs?

It does. I remember three quests in Varant that are female-centered.

1) Hottest (and literally the one and only) sloot in the village was kidnapped by nomads. You're to exterminate them and bring her back to the village's local Black Mage.
2) You buy one and offer her as a present to a super rich merchant, the town's de-facto ruler.
3) A trader gives you an amulet(?) which you're supposed to use to buy a hot sloot from another trader and bring the aforementioned sloot to the first trader.

All in all, women feel really well represented in the game. I have a feeling G3 would've gotten the Sarkeesian Seal of Approval, had she played it.

Codex Year of the Donut
Why doesn't Gothic 3 have female NPCs?

It does. I remember three quests in Varant that are female-centered.

1) Hottest (and literally the one and only) sloot in the village was kidnapped by nomads. You're to exterminate them and bring her back to the village's local Black Mage.
2) You buy one and offer her as a present to a super rich merchant, the town's de-facto ruler.
3) A trader gives you an amulet(?) which you're supposed to use to buy a hot sloot from another trader and bring the aforementioned sloot to the first trader.

All in all, women feel really well represented in the game. I have a feeling G3 would've gotten the Sarkeesian Seal of Approval, had she played it.
I haven't encountered a female yet
HCg4WIM.png

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
One of these days I'm gonna play this game again after the 10 hours-ish I put in on launch day and it better be the slightly above mediocre experience everyone claims it is. Because on launch day it was a complete clusterfuck.

It was beyond clusterfuck. I bought it back in 2006. Keep in mind, at that point, Gothic and Gothic 2 were 2 of my favorite games. I start this thing, short video of ship sailing, you come to this village, 20 orcs start beating on you, you think to yourself, what a silly intro cinematic, wait.., why does this look like gameplay, wtf, how do i... oh shiiittt....

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
So, I should play Gothic 3 with a mage/ranger and not melee?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom