Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incline Gothic 3.

Discussion in 'Piranha Bytes' started by smaug, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Inconceivable Literate

Inconceivable
    I think Gothic 3 with all the community patches going on is a cool game. The worst thing is the combat - there's only so much the patches can do to improve on a bad system. But the game has great atmosphere and exploration in a huge world. I think it's worth it for that. The faction play of taking over entire towns is not so bad either. There aren't many games doing that sort of thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. S0rcererV1ct0r Cipher

S0rcererV1ct0r
    I agree that G3 has many problems but this I strongly disagree.

Orcs on mainland has completely different culture than orks on the colony island.

Strongly disagree. Did you actually played any post wow clone mmo? the quests sucks. And most G3 quests are OPTIONAL!!!

The good 90s mmos like Dark Sun Online : Crimson Sands and Ultima Online are more "sandboxy" and close to what G3 is.

Also, most quests are optional.

And the best thing ever. You can become a magician of the best element(Water) early on. Not like G1 where only on chapter 4 nor like G2 where you can only become a magician of Fire. "but you can learn water/dark spells" - In the freaking monastery. The same guys who hate Xardas for researching and using dark magic, has no problem with one of his members casting army of darkness and praying for beliar and offering lifeforce in exchange for magical runes.

Not mentioning that all offensive spells are TRASH. You will spend most of your time using summon golem, ice block and meleeing the enemies.

Gothic 3 is awful on story, but has by far the best archery and magic system of all 3 games. You can hate G3 all day. Being a water magician there is so dope.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Danikas Arcane

Danikas
    Tell me why there are no ports in Myrtana? Where was Esmeralda build and where did ships with magic ore dock?

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Rabbity_Thing Educated

Rabbity_Thing
    There are no ports in Myrtana 'cause none of the original devs worked on Gothic 3.

^ Top  
  5. S0rcererV1ct0r Cipher

S0rcererV1ct0r
    Gothic 3 receive much hate. I mean, saying that it is not great as G1/G2 is fine. Saying that is "trash like arcania" is completely BS. Gothic 3 is unfinished, has repetitive quests, awful melee combat, etc? Yes. But compare to other mid 00s games such as Oblivion.

^ Top  
  6. Rabbity_Thing Educated

Rabbity_Thing
    Aaaand it comes out about even. Neither of the two could hold me for long when I realised what the rest of the game is going to be like.

^ Top  
  7. Konjad High on potatoes Patron

Konjad
    I were to abandon Gothic 3 by now, but I was still very curious about this game. Before uninstalling I thought I'll have some fun and quickly explore all hubs by cheating in teleport stones. I teleported to various places to see how they look like, do a quest here and there and eventually to Fire Mage's hub, where after short exploration I found Lee.

This is literally the worst quest I've ever done in a video game. You know, the backstory that begun in the first Gothic, though only mentioned there, and continued in Gothic 2. Preparing me that it is going to be one of the most interesting plots in the Gothic series as it relates to two of the main characters in the Gothic story (Lee and Rhobar). This is well worth doing, no matter how else I don't enjoy Gothic 3, because this is IT! I was looking for this story since the first Gothic!

First, he obviously had very few lines of dialogue, but I am already used to that in G3. Anyway, quest was to find teleport stones to the capital and kill the king. Alright, so I give him a teleport stone and teleport myself.

At the capital I had to fight plenty of orcs, which I did before I reached Lee. It was a bit hard and died, but broken combat makes everything possible. I just stand in a door entrance to a house and hit orcs trying to get in. Only mages or orcs using crossbows are a slight issue, so I died twice and had to reload. Eventually I kill all orcs in the city (I guess). I get to Lee, he says he will follow and off we go.

I needed a bit of patience here, because on the way Lee got stuck a few times on buildings. But eventually we manage. He gets stuck next to the entrance of the king's building, but after a few back and forwards done by me he manages to enter through the door.

I didn't expect much dialogue here, knowing G3, but got even less. Lee just says "Here's the swine. Let's go!" and attacks Rhobar (the king doesn't say anything). I help Lee and attack Rhobar too. All the guards stand around and cheer while we are killing their king.

The king dies and then guards and everybody in the cursed town from the poorest twats decide that maybe they shouldn't have let the king die and now need to kill me and Lee. This was the hardest part, had to quickload a few times because the guards that cheered before killed me here. Then once more, because Lee died. But eventually I got rid of them. Then the rest of the town by standing next to entrance and killing them one by one.

So I talk to Lee. The whole dialogue is "The king is dead!" "Yeah, my revenge is done!" "Now whatcha gonna do?" "idk yet". My dreams of interesting plot were completely shattered. The plot I was waiting for ended up being so trash as the rest of the Gothic 3, if not even worse. Completely disillusioning letdown. It was not the end yet though: Unfortunately, even such an extremely short dialogue was devastating. During the dialogue one guard and two poortwats arrived (must have missed them) and attacked Lee, and he was ignoring them and talking with me. After the dialogue Lee lived only two seconds, because by the time I unsheathed my sword he got beaten to death.

Seriously, fuck this garbage game.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Sinatar Arbiter

Sinatar
    It's not an either or situation.

Gothic 3 is shit.

Oblivion is shit.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Inconceivable Literate

Inconceivable
    Some good shit man!
    Hardcore TES fans tend to agree that Oblivion had the best quests. With an overhaul mod like OOO and a few others sprinkled on top to spice things up, makes a great game. Oblivion has the best magic mod, I think it was Midas Magic, that adds a load of magic-related quests and parallel dimensions to explore. I had so much fun with my last huge modded Oblivion playthrough all those many years ago, it was borderline illegal - alternate dimensions, dragon flying, filling fortress with mannequins and collecting all armor sets, Wizards Tower Harem... Yes, you absolutely have to add the extra companions mod with skimpy clothes + nude mods to fill the Wizards Tower with all 'them hot bitches (turn to face wall when girlfriend/wife shows up - tell her you're searching for a hidden switch).

If someone asks I would say Morrowind and Skyrim were better TES games, but I probably had the most fun with modded Oblivion.
    Also, Oblivion is the game with one of the best DLC's of all time. I'm of course talking about the Horse Armor DLC.

Gothic 3 also has great soundtrack, btw. :dance:

^ Top  
  10. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Were you using the quest pack + content mod? I found it decent enough with both, surprisingly good content from modders.

^ Top  
  11. Danikas Arcane

Danikas

^ Top  
  12. Lord_Potato Arcane

Lord_Potato
    Well you receive more complicated quests and get to spend more time with the old crew. Seems like it does address at least some of your criticisms.

• cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Try it again with both. I disliked it at first but with those it was OK.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Lord_Potato Arcane

Lord_Potato
    I'm playing Gothic 3 with this setup (community patch, quest pack, content mod) and the game is pretty good. Sure, it's a very different formula to Gothic 1 & 2 but it has its own merits, like genuine interesting exploration (you can get lost in Nordmar) or moments of great emergent gameplay. Plus, it's one of the last open world RPGs without quest compass, in which characters actually give you directions to places.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    There's an option in the config file to increase the world simulation radius btw

^ Top  
  16. Lord_Potato Arcane

Lord_Potato
    Even without increasing the settings I managed to cause through my actions a large battle between garrison of Montera, the grain thieves and a large number of snappers. I did not even plan this, but was out of arrows and needed to distract the orcs chasing me. One thing lead to another and then a large region was filled with combatants. I was just running between them and killing whoever seemded to take an upper hand.

As a result after a long battle the town was freed from the orcs and I got tons of experience and loot.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.