Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

sigard

Not Excidium

Last edited:

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
If you do decide to play it, you should mentally prepare yourself to be spammed by the first seconds of this tune hundreds of times each day until you finish the game.

MrMarbles

Cipher
Community patch has you covered. And the game is worth a playthrough, it gets a lot of flak but it still way better than a lot of more recent titles. For me the start was a slog, but it really picked up once you access the far west areas of the map and desert areas.

Elex is what Gothic 3 should have been like, if you have not played it yet I recommend you do it instead of this, and if you have played it already I think you simply should not play it. It is a bad and unfinished game that not even mods can fix.

Not.AI

Learned
Good game actually except for a couple really annoying things originally. Also some graphical oddities.

It has the bad reputation because in the original animals could stun lock you, skip frames to deal huge damage before you could react, and in turn you could stun lock orcs. And so ("And so!") it became a question of just going wherever you want in whatever order, - you start all-powerful unlike past games, but just avoid the fauna 'cus they really tuff.

Skdursh

Savant
I've never played the original. I've only played the standalone expansion "Forsaken Gods." I wouldn't recommend it.
Forsaken Gods was made by a completely separate studio (I think they were Indians? Can't say for sure if that is correct, but I think it is.) with no relation to Piranha Bytes as a cash grab by the company that held the rights to Gothic after PB walked away from G3. Gothic 3 is actually a really decent game so long as you have the community patch, the mouse drag fix, the parallel U patch (Which isn't necessary, but is nice to have now that it exists. The first time I played G3 I did so without the parallel U patch and had no issues.) and possibly some other compatibility tweaks that might be needed depending on circumstance. I also use the 3.1 content mod, QuestPack4 update 2 and the Lively Towns mod. The game is huge with a lot of well crafted towns, dungeons, diverse landscapess and is just really enjoyable to explore. I think it gets shit on a lot more than it actually deserves, mainly because of how shit the optimization issues and bugs were on release.

If you do decide to play it, you should mentally prepare yourself to be spammed by the first seconds of this tune hundreds of times each day until you finish the game.
Have you ever considered just turning the music off?

Last edited:

covr

Prophet
Patron
I never played this game and now i thinking about trying it.
So 2 questions:
1. orginal game + comunity patch or enchanced edition?
2. Are enemies respawning? if yes is there any mod to turn it off?
Question 2 is make or break for me, respawning enemies in exploration heavy game is a big no no for me
Pls play with parallel universe engine patch. The game is not that bad as people say, I've played it a year after it was released and it was already more than decent. Optimalisation was pain in the ass. And bugs. Exploration was fun, it also has the best music ever produced for a fantasy cRPG. Don't mute it! Engine patch + community patch +sumbods with extra cut content listed above by serpentface should make this game great. Some of the mods, including Community patch, are semi official, as the modders got paid by the publisher for some reason. This happened for Forsaken Gods enhanced edition, I believe.

As for respawning enemies, it has been always a part of Gothic experience. I might be wrong but in community edition when you are overlevelled, the weaker enemies just run away from you. What you might not like though, is subtle level scaling.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The game sucks dick. Melee is pointless because all of your attacks except for the right click fast attack will be stopped and you'll get stunlocked. The fast attack renders all humanoid enemies helpless. Even if they try to attack you can lazily sidestep them when they try to use a heavy strike and that's with the alternate AI combat on. Archery is shit, but okay until you can get magic and magic is the only real way to deal with anything if you don't want to be at it all day. Even then expect to miss your targets nine times out of ten because your enemy is on a 0.1 incline or because you got hit right before you got your spell off. The game is an unfinished mess with the desert and Nordmar both being a long ,vapid slogs of motherfucking nothing compared to the forested area. Also if you insist on using the content patch I hope you're ready for third world english on top of google translate, it's completely incoherent. And get ready to enjoy load jitters that fuck with your camera in the middle of combat, getting you killed over and over again.

parallel universe engine patch

The hell is this?

EDIT: Oh yeah and like ELEXmakesMeHard said, get ready for DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNN! DUN DUN DUN DUN DUNNNNNN BOOM BO-BO-BOOM BOOM BOOM every ten seconds.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The game also has obnoxious level scaling. Enemies get stronger for every level you gain, even though you don't get any immediate benefits for levelling in G3.

MWaser did a real deep dive into it last month and worked out the formula for it in this thread.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...d-old-news-but-you-might-not-yet-know.141659/

Base enemy stats templates:
Wolf: starting level 0, max level 20
Light bandit: starting level 0, max level 20
Bandit: starting level 10, max level 30
Heavy bandit: starting level 15, max level 35
Snapper: starting level 15, max level 25

Wolf quick attack damage:
PC level 0: 11 damage
PC level 5: 19 damage
PC level 10: 26 damage
PC level 15: 32 damage
PC level 20: 38 damage

Light bandit - bow, arrow projectile damage:
PC level 0: 11 damage
PC level 20: 39 damage

Light bandit - melee regular attack:
PC level 0: 9 damage
PC level 20: 39 damage

Snapper:
PC level 0: 18 damage quick attack, 60 damage strong attack
PC level 20: 22 damage quick attack, 90 damage strong attack

Level scaling was sure popular in 2006 it seems.

Last edited:

thesecret1

Arcane
Yeah, one of the charms of Gothic series is that nothing respawns. Ever. New shit spawns each chapter, but that's what it is – new shit. If you didn't kill a group of enemies before, it'll still be there, but with the additional enemies spawned in, etc. Very different thing

covr

Prophet
Patron

Nim

Augur

Baron Dupek

Arcane
And a new mod that teaches the engine some multi-threading.
wait
I though that Gothic3 was one of the first game to use multicore CPUs along with Supreme Commander?

If not then "some small indie gaming magazine" lied to me...

MWaser

Arbiter
wait
I though that Gothic3 was one of the first game to use multicore CPUs along with Supreme Commander?

Maybe letting the engine use the virtual threads of the CPU isn't quite the same as being able to use multiple cores. In either case, I do remember reading about G3 using multiple cores before, albeit to my knowledge it was also using those very inefficiently. So go figure.

Ravielsk

Magister
wait

To my knowledge it uses them in the same way that PDX games do. Technically its sending "something" to the other cores but practically over 90% of the game is on core0 with the other cores either idle or at 1-2% load.

Ravielsk

Magister
2. Are enemies respawning? if yes is there any mod to turn it off?
Yes, they do.
1. orginal game + comunity patch or enchanced edition?
Ask yourself this. Did the left mouse button somehow offend you? If yes then get the community patch and get to torturing it, if no skip everything Gothic 3 related.
Its a conceptually bad and unfinished game that effectively is not even a sequel to Gothic 2 or Gothic 1. Its basically written as a sequel to some hypothetical Gothic 2.5 that never happened as major events are just glossed over, such as Xardas somehow sealing away rune magic(but chill there is "ancient magic" that is functionally identical) or there being a cult of humans worshiping Beliar or the orcs suddenly having brains or the gods suddenly being the source of all evil. Or... well just about the whole game.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
https://www.worldofgothic.de/dl/download_678.htm it vastly improves the engine, both in terms of loading times and game performance.

As for respawning monsters - I obviously meant new monsters at every new chapter, like in classic PB games. I don't remember how it worked in G3 though. Did they also respawn in the middle of chapters?

Wish I'd known about this when I was playing two months ago, this looks like it fixes a whole lot of the jitters.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
there being a cult of humans worshiping Beliar or the orcs suddenly having brains

Whilst I agree most of the retcons are really dumb, I don't think orcs being smart was much of a change. You meet one smart orc in the original Gothic, and the existence of other shamans and war leader suggests there are plenty of others.

Also I don't think raw savagery alone would be winning the orcs so many victories in the war.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom