Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic 4 Genesis

Raapys

Arcane
Next Gothic's been announced. Piranha Bytes out, Spellbound in.

The Name

Genesis - This name does not mean a complete restart of the Gothic series! Rather it means that something has changed. This is how the new developer, Spellbound, explained it. After JoWooD and Piranha Bytes split on the 22 of May 2007, the search for a new developer started and this search ended on the 23 of August when Spellbound was announced as the new developer for the next Gothic game. Piranha Bytes is the developer of Gothic 1, 2 and 3. JoWooD is the publisher of the Gothic series.

The Team

Spellbound has its headquarters in Kehl am Rhein, a city close to the french border, which is located in Baden-Württemberg, a state of the Federal Republic of Germany in the southwestern part of the country to the east of the Upper Rhine.

Spellbound has always had a history of being a French-German developer. With the French city of Strasburg being right across the river Rhein opposite to Kehl, the company could always employ people from both countries with both their individual and cultural backgrounds. It is that cultural diversity which the company believes has always proven to be advantageous for game development.

The company employs 24 firm coworkers, comming from Germany, France, South Africa and Russia, as well as approximately 30 freelancers [a freelancer or freelance worker is a person who pursues a profession without a long-term commitment to any one employer].

Some coworkers of Spellbound, under Jochen Hamma, the project leader, worked at Attic Entertainment Software and were in the project called Northlandtriolgy (Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny, Realms of Arkania: Star Trail and Realms of Arkania: Shadows over Riva), a series of computer role-playing games based upon the popular German pen & paper role-playing game Das Schwarze Auge (The Dark Eye).

The Game

Engine:

* It is believe the Trinigy Vision Engine will be used in the development of Gothic 4: Genesis. The Vision Engine is one of the industry's most advanced technologies for professional game development and has proven its versatility and reliability in more than 60 commercial game productions all over the world. [click the link to see more games that where made with this Engine http://www.trinigy.net/index.php?id=20 ]

Story:

* The graphics of the game and the music are expected to come close to the ones Gothic 3 had and be up to date and competitive on the market when released.
* Characters, story and dialogues will be Gothic 2 oriented.
* Jochen Hamma says that dividing the story into chapters might be the best solution, for example for changing graphical elements in the gameworld. Use of chapters again is therefore most likely.
* Gothic 4: Genesis will not be a prequel [a sequel to a film, play, or piece of fiction whose events precede those portrayed in the original work] to Gothic 1.

Game world:

* Rough characters, a play world in the european setting and as fans expect, a world to give you the feeling of Gothic!

RolePlaying Elements:

* Certain aspects of the game's roles mechanics, for example the skill system, are going to look much alike Gothic 3 ones, which are supposed to be considerably improved.
* Exploration and discovery are two of the most important basic principles of the Gothic series, these elements will get proper attention with Gothic 4: Genesis.
* The game will be visually convincing, it will have a dark atmosphere and feeling, the landscape and music will be in connection with an interesting narrative style and the character development will be typical for a RPG, which will recompence the player on its discovery journey.

Interface:

* As for the interface, especially for combat, it will not be exactly as in Gothic 1, 2 or 3. However, for the fans we will make an interface that feels like it, one who has played for example Gothic 3 should easily find out how the new interface works, according to Jochen Hamma.

Combat system:

* Here Spellbound plans large changes. The combat system of Gothic 4: Genesis should promote more self initiative and be more dynamic.

Community

Both developer Spellbound and publisher JoWood plan active community support over the entire development of the game. Thus there are plans to offer regular question times as well as to have a generally increased forum activity. The feedback collected will have a substantial influence on the development of the game. Beyond that, selected community members will be invited in certain periods to try the game in order to collect direct criticism and improvement suggestions. Jochen Hamma, the project leader, spoke about such a meeting in the middle of 2008.

Release Date

There is no release date for Gothic 4: Genesis, it is however certainly that the game will appear first on PC, later in addition, on consoles. When it comes to consoles we already have the appropriate tools for Xbox360 and PS3.

http://forum.spellbound.de/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4715

First screenshots

my.php

my.php

my.php

my.php

Looks like it's gonna be bloomy.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Sounds pretty good actually. It just depends if they can exectue it.

"Here Spellbound plans large changes. The combat system of Gothic 4: Genesis should promote more self initiative and be more dynamic"

This was the only typical PR speak. What the hell does this mean?

obediah

Erudite
FrancoTAU said:
Sounds pretty good actually. It just depends if they can exectue it.

"Here Spellbound plans large changes. The combat system of Gothic 4: Genesis should promote more self initiative and be more dynamic"

This was the only typical PR speak. What the hell does this mean?

From the screen shots it looks like diablo 3rd person clickyclick.

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
The description sounds a step up from Gothic 3, but the screenshots look like a few steps backwards. Hell, the screenshots don't even really look like Gothic.

Monolith

Prophet
It was announced about 3 months ago.

That post is merely translation of a German summary of what's been said in a couple of interviews and press releases. It's not official.

Some coworkers of Spellbound, under Jochen Hamma, the project leader, worked at Attic Entertainment Software and ...
That should be "Some coworkers of Spellbound, including Jochen Hamme, the project leader, worked at Attic ..."

Herbert West

Arbiter
Story:

* The graphics of the game and the music are expected to come close to the ones Gothic 3 had and be up to date and competitive on the market when released.
* Characters, story and dialogues will be Gothic 2 oriented.
* Jochen Hamma says that dividing the story into chapters might be the best solution, for example for changing graphical elements in the gameworld. Use of chapters again is therefore most likely.

So, awsumest grapihx are what makes the story.

Pretty next-gen if you ask me.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Herbert West said:

They're hinting at having seasons. Chapters are a very good thing, otherwise you have an Oblivion where the world never changes.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
You don't need chapters to change the world. The chapters in Gothic are mainly a splash screen and triggers to spawn new enemies.

If Gothic had a well balanced character development system, it could also use dynamic spawns. All oldschool RPGs had them. Never a gameworld "cleansed" of life.

Screenshots don't look half bad, but don't say much about the game yet.

Last not least, welcome to half a year ago, when all of this (sans screenshots) was said before.

Raapys

Arcane
Yah, the announcement is old, but I couldn't remember any thread about it.

Anyway, I'd have to agree with Jeff; the description sounds like a step up, but the screens definitely look like a step down. And they really need to get rid of that 'plastic' look.

Don't really expect much from this one though. I'm betting on a 'consolinized' and dumbed down action game.

Nedrah

Erudite
Well, if they go with a "what did people see as an improvement from the first two Gothics in g3, what did not work so well" approach, something decent might come out of it. Still, this franchise is PBs baby and they should have been given a chance to make another Gothic. Hopefully they will be able to deliver another unique game experience with their new project.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Somehow, the environments depicted in these screenshots scream "We're not from a Gothic game".

* Certain aspects of the game's roles mechanics, for example the skill system, are going to look much alike Gothic 3 ones, which are supposed to be considerably improved.
* Exploration and discovery are two of the most important basic principles of the Gothic series, these elements will get proper attention with Gothic 4: Genesis.

Sounds promising. But to be honest, I sincerely doubt this game will live up to the expectations.
I am much more interested in Piranhas' next project for now...

doctor_kaz

Scholar
They are certainly saying all of the right things right now. It sounds very promising, like they understand exactly what makes the Gothic series so special and unique. Exploration, choices, dialog, etc.

doctor_kaz

Scholar
Morgoth said:
This doesn't look like Gothic at all. More like another bloomy Oblivion wannabe with overused bumpmaps.

Well to be fair, Gothic 3 was horribly bloomy/HDR-y and the series has never had terrific graphics on a technical basis.

Mayday

Augur
Morgoth said:
This doesn't look like Gothic at all. More like another bloomy Oblivion wannabe with overused bumpmaps.

Who gives a shit? Gothic's art direction was never any good- you had high res and low res models and textures placed next to each other, painted and photographic textures clashing horribly, the models weren't very good IMHO.
I like these screens much better (especially since you can usually modify the force of bloom in an ini file). One thing to wonder about is whether these are "for real" or just mad photoshopping skills put to good use.

denizsi

Arcane
Graphics in those screens look barely on par with the absolute bleeding edge in game graphics (crazy shit like 'extreme' dx10 rendering), so I don't see why they would even be photoshopped.

As mentioned before, the screens look and scream so not-Gothic.

Au naturel

Scholar
How will they make this work storywise? Nameless did his thing and the story is over. Its a pity these people couldn't just make their own Gothic-like game. It might actually be somewhat original instead of extended bouts of necrophilia.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I like the screenies too. They look so medieval-city-like. Haven't played G3 and don't know how cities there look like, but the one in the screenies actually looks good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom