Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Dark Mysteries 2.02 English

Aholf Ditler

Novice
Gothic-Dark-Mysteries-logo-300.png

I bring you the google translation of Dark Mysteries 2.02 to English thanks to (Lord Sargon from world of player.de that do so a useful utility for translate mods from russian to another language).
Sorry for my confusion, and many thanks for the translation.
(this version is more stable than the last 1.04, add new content and resolve a lot of important bugs).
Also I included so all the necessary for a great visual modification in Gothic.
All necessary is in the file that I have put here: https://mega.nz/#!JIxBGIyK!dtQTtR5u3isCEqAs3DnGczTSJjHActJRdoCFMrpsgqs

update at 3-8-2021 "new version of translation": https://drive.google.com/file/d/14C6-sygnNFqRuLtT-Ru-bWZGn3UZXQAX/view

In a clean version of Gothic 1.08, you need to install first the Systempack 1.7, playerkit 1.08, playerkit 2.8,
copy the content of GD3D11 to the main gothic folder and later install the archives of Dark Mysteries 2.02 and Speech in polish.
Later copy all the content of Dark Mysteries 2.02 english in Gothic folder,
you can add so the Texture pack by Artemiano and the Fixed head models by Carnage, dezipping and copying both in Gothic\Data folder.
For play run Gothic Starter and select your level of difficulty.​

Last edited:

Aholf Ditler

Novice
Me no, Lord Sargon, from Worldofplayer.de.
I tested it, the translation is correct, also is better than nothing.

Last edited:

Abhay

Augur
Could you please provide a brief explanation about the level of difficulty and the changes brought to the gameplay (based on difficulty settings) in general?

I haven't tried this mod yet. And, I don't want to install the whole mod just to understand the various aspects about the difficulty. That's what I am mainly interested than anything else about the mod.

Alec20

Novice
I rather liked the mod when I played it a couple of years ago. It pretty much doubled or tripled the amount of content in the base Gothic 1 world, filling in so many of the empty areas. Some of the quests were kinda poor (there was one absolute insane one, where you had to get 150 pieces of meat or something like that?), but for the most part it made replaying the game so much more fun. I can't remember how they changed the gameplay, but I think they used Gothic 2's skill system, rather than G1 mastery system.

Aholf Ditler

Novice
Could you please provide a brief explanation about the level of difficulty and the changes brought to the gameplay (based on difficulty settings) in general?

I haven't tried this mod yet. And, I don't want to install the whole mod just to understand the various aspects about the difficulty. That's what I am mainly interested than anything else about the mod.

The level of difficulty is related to the life and armor of the enemies, the number of skill points you get when you level up and some details of this style.
I recommend you play in normal.
The content that adds this mod / expansion is huge, adds more life to the game in the form of new camps, npcs, missions, enemies, armor and objects of all kinds.
It's for Gothic what night of the raven is for Gothic 2

By the way, all those who care more if I write well English more than the mod that I have bothered to share here.
You can eat some Zyklon B pills that I have written well

thank you whoever you are for sharing this! I just registered to this site to congratulate you! at last after so many years waiting...
By the way are these visual modifications compatible with dark mysteries? because i suspect that dark mysteries adds new models-textures like armors?
moreover you said that a member of the team translated it does it have to do with this : https://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1488505-gothic-1-dark-mysteries-2-02-translation/page2
or is it an (exciting) coincidence?

Aholf Ditler

Novice
thank you whoever you are for sharing this! I just registered to this site to congratulate you! at last after so many years waiting...
By the way are these visual modifications compatible with dark mysteries? because i suspect that dark mysteries adds new models-textures like armors?
moreover you said that a member of the team translated it does it have to do with this : https://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1488505-gothic-1-dark-mysteries-2-02-translation/page2
or is it an (exciting) coincidence?
Thank you for the acclaration, i am only a gothic fan like you, very happy with this great mod in the last version translated.
There were people behind this mod and I wanted to report here and they knew it. I fixed the information in the first post
I was playing about 4 hours and i dont see any problems with the mod and the visual modifications.

Last edited:

Alexandrian

Barely Literate
I`m so glad that someone else still cares about the english gothic community. Congrats for the translation. If we are still here, can we like, make a community and try to translate the other great russian or german mods ? At least google translated because they are playable like that. This new Legend of Ahssun desperately need and english version.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Russian modding community is next level.

:greatjob:
acshually it's Potato mod
I know people thing everything east to Germanistan is rusia, whatever

about mod itself - it's harder that original Gothic (mostly additional content) but not to the ridiculous degree like Returning1 for example

Best part was underground cave with female Ancient or whatever were they called, never saw something like that in that engine

deama

Prophet
I played dark mysteries a long while ago (probably version 1.something). I remember it being decent, but it screwed with the vanilla main quest a bit in that after a certain point you become so damn strong that orcs can't even damage you. Though then again, you do have to do a lot of side quests and kill various demi-gods and demi-animals to attain that power.
I think overall it was kinda fun, you should definitely not play it as your first mod though, it's more of a "second playthrough" type of mod.

I returned to warn some players!
Reading deama's words i do not like a game to be easy, so i have played this mod in hard difficulty. Unfortunately it is very unbalanced. I am level 16 with heavy ore baron's armor and 140 strength equipping a top two handed weapon "the troll fist" and i can't even damage a skeleton scout! Even trying to kill a lurker is difficult you are doing a little damage, while it kills you with 3 hits. Now i am stuck! I am in chapter 3 and i cannot pass the orc cemetery because of the enemies. I even tried a trick. I copied my saved game of the "hard" difficulty folder in the save of the "normal" difficulty folder and run the normal version at "gothic starter" well the save loaded normally but unfortunately no changes in difficulty! I even used marvin to increase my strength and dexterity to 500 and my hitpoints to 1000 and guess what! You are still in the mercy of the enemies! So do not play it in hard.

Aholf Ditler

Novice
I returned to warn some players!
Reading deama's words i do not like a game to be easy, so i have played this mod in hard difficulty. Unfortunately it is very unbalanced. I am level 16 with heavy ore baron's armor and 140 strength equipping a top two handed weapon "the troll fist" and i can't even damage a skeleton scout! Even trying to kill a lurker is difficult you are doing a little damage, while it kills you with 3 hits. Now i am stuck! I am in chapter 3 and i cannot pass the orc cemetery because of the enemies. I even tried a trick. I copied my saved game of the "hard" difficulty folder in the save of the "normal" difficulty folder and run the normal version at "gothic starter" well the save loaded normally but unfortunately no changes in difficulty! I even used marvin to increase my strength and dexterity to 500 and my hitpoints to 1000 and guess what! You are still in the mercy of the enemies! So do not play it in hard.

Thanks for the advice, fortunately im playing in normal. i think that the normal mode is the most balanced.

GleamingMite

Novice
I want to thank you for the files and mega link. I have played english version 1.04 and it was quite buggy. I wish I found this thread but it is not a first hit in a google search for this mod. A real shame. :salute:

Sencantor

Educated
Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
The translation is actually pretty well done! Quite a few areas it even fits well enough that if the lack of audio didn't give it away, one would think it was part of the original script.

Jinn

Arcane
The translation is actually pretty well done! Quite a few areas it even fits well enough that if the lack of audio didn't give it away, one would think it was part of the original script.

Would love to read your impressions the further in you get. I've seen people say the mod is very lore-unfriendly, which isn't quite a deal-breaker as long as the gameplay makes it worth it. I feel like it should be the goal of any major mod built on top of an existing game world to respect that world's history as closely possible. If it's just batshit, it may be a little too blasphemous to stomach. But if it's minor stuff, I could deal with it.

Murk

Arcane

Would love to read your impressions the further in you get. I've seen people say the mod is very lore-unfriendly, which isn't quite a deal-breaker as long as the gameplay makes it worth it. I feel like it should be the goal of any major mod built on top of an existing game world to respect that world's history as closely possible. If it's just batshit, it may be a little too blasphemous to stomach. But if it's minor stuff, I could deal with it.

Sure; I am playing off and on depending on my work schedule, so I'll post snippets as I go.

I'm about 6 hours in total and it's worth noting that this mod is more like an add-in; it's not a separate series of events from the rest of the game. It seems to borrow from NotR in that sense where you notice new stuff form the very beginning.

"Should I play it?" -- I'll try to answer this before going into details.

"yes, but only if you're an autist like me who has played this game multiple times and remembers where pretty much everything is." It mixes things up enough that it's a "new" experience, the same way NotR would have for vanilla G2. It's commendable for how large the mod is, and yeah it definitely messes with the lore of the setting (you encounter characters who claim they worked for Lord Hagen; or gave their bow shop to Bosper, or... you get the idea.) To me this isn't too much, and so far nothing has been too stupid or extreme to stomach, it seems they tried to keep things within the vague realm of plausibility in terms of who/what is where and why. The translation is good enough that you're never really lost, though some words are mixed up, and sometimes you'll read a line and parse the words slowly to figure out wtf it means.

It's more edgy/grimdark; many of the NPCs will attack you if you select the wrong dialog option (which isn't always obvious) -- this was in the base game too, but it was infrequent enough or telegraphed enough that you could see it coming. On some of these new ones it basically taught me to save before talking to everyone. There is a quick save function now, which is very nice. Also, lots of weird rape jokes, but then again it is a prison colony. I think they went overboard with the edginess, personally, cuz it comes off as a little too corny at times.

I tried to take a few screenshots but they came up all blank; and gyazo was not cooperating so I'll try to get more at a later time. I didn't use any of the graphical edit packs -- not even just upscaled textures. The grognard/autist in me actively prefers the old ones, so they'll look the way G1 vanilla was meant to in a sense.

Basically the mod adds a bunch of new NPCs, some new enemies, new areas (including camps and from what I read a whole new faction you can join), as well as new items and new "skills". Also, helmets, and man they look weird.

Mechanically some additions are crafting recipes (you can now craft multiple types of weapons -- including ore weapons; you can cook multiple types of food -- some of which have permanent stat ups, etc.). Combat skills are now more like G2 where-in you learn linearly and not in a bundle. They do increase in LP cost, but stats don't seem to increase in LP cost as you raise them (unless I just haven't hit that cap, but I'm at base 70 for STR so it should have happened already if it was going to.) If you use certain attacks enough you get a +1 to the corresponding stat (so use enough bow attacks, you get +1 dex). If you kill enough monsters of a type, you get a title "goblin slayer" or "scavenger hunter" -- no clue what those do, or if they're just little achievements.

There are 5 new areas, I think. Orc hunters, sleeper separatists, old mine camp, smugglers, and the ancients. Some of these areas are really small (smugglers and orc hunters), but still give quests and trade with you. Some are very, very large -- the old mine camp for example is big enough to be a completely separate camp/village pretty much. It's still affiliated with Gomez's old camp, but the guards wear modified armor and have their own leader. T

The 'ancients' are the last group that I haven't encountered, and unfortunately from what I gather they are the new faction you can actually join. From the dialog it seems the breakaway sect camp may be the path to join the ancients, but I'll keep looking around. It's not very easy to just look up info about the mod, and it really is quite large.

Bugs -- some new bugs are definitely in, though it's hard to tell how much of it is base gothic 1 bugging up on newer systems and how much is from the mod. The one thing that is for sure from the mod is targeting is trickier -- many items can't be highlighted until you change your vertical position, sometimes really bizarrely. Enemies below you, but in clear sight, can't be targeted by bow so you have to run around until you're far enough to target them. Weird stuff like that. Also a few NPCs got locked in an animation loop that I had to alt+f4 out of. For example if the dialog you use makes the NPC drink, you may want to wait for him to be standing up before you trigger it otherwise it will lock up.

"balance" -- the new weapons definitely make it a lot easier to get stronger, but with the changes to the combat skills they may balance out overall. I'm not 100% sure on that yet; though I did notice enemies seem tougher, and the newer enemies are stacked with higher stats. An alligator for example is as tanky as an elite orc, which is weird. There is some weird decisions about loot though -- money is even more trivial now, as you can find a lot of really good stuff, including a cache of shadowbeast horns and skins pretty early on, and you can either sell them or use them for a RNG-farming quest (there's an NPC which gives you a quest to collect X number of random trophies and turn them in for XP and ore; you can save/reload to get a different one across three difficulties). There's also some new weird items that aren't explained at all, some of which are re-usable while others are consumed.

Jinn

Arcane
Wow, thanks for the in-depth reply, Murk. It all sounds fun enough for another replay run, especially the prospect of joining a new faction.

yeah it definitely messes with the lore of the setting (you encounter characters who claim they worked for Lord Hagen; or gave their bow shop to Bosper, or... you get the idea.)

Yeah, this really isn't too bad at all. Definitely not anything that would turn me away from the mod. Thanks again! Let me know if it somehow turns shit later on.

Murk

Arcane
Well, I think I broke a quest-chain; or rather, it broke.

The NPC I'm supposed to talk to won't talk to me about the questline so RIP joining the smugglers I guess. Might keep playing or not, not sure yet, cuz I think I experienced most of the new stuff save for the faction. Originally the notes all said there's 1 new joinable faction -- so far at least 1 is ready to have me join and another said they *might* let me join, which confuses me, unless it's more like the ring of water where it's faction-independent.

weird things:

Ring of dex +10 and permanent sprint movement (actually useful)
Tree branches (the tiny ones) randomly block you from moving; same with leaves on the ground
Enemy AI gets weird at times -- minecrawlers will just stand still and do nothing except a periodic ranged attack
During a scripted sequence an NPC just walked off a tower and died. I looted his weapon -- it has 100 ATK and is a 1handed sword. Can use it with 60 STR. RIP weapon progression I guess. Strongest 1hander I've gotten so far.
redux: same camp, 2nd NPC fell off a tower and died during... well, nothing. Now I have two of the sword!
I learned to sharpen weapons which is a... quick time event? Anyway, added 20 attack for about 750 ore. Worth!

Unrelated: it's *way* too easy to get money in this mod; WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too easy

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom