Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Dark Mysteries 2.02 English

Sencantor

Educated
Hi Murk,

Thanks for the kind words about the translation! I know there are still typos here and there and some out of place lines, but in time I hope to fix most of them. In my World of Gothic post I went into more detail on how some lines simply don't want to use my translation, so they're basically google translate. I haven't figured out how to fix this, but from my testing so far, less than 5% of lines are affected.

Regarding the NPC you mentioned won't talk to you: if you're referring to the smuggler leader, then you just have to keep doing more quests for them until the questline with him opens up (though I'm not actually sure if these guys in particular will let you "join them"). Do note that in this mod joining one of the new camps does not add you to a guild like the 3 main camps do. You can join them and play through their quest lines without having to worry that you block progression in the vanilla game or with one of the other new camps (from what I've seen so far, at least).

Jinn , the mod is definitely not perfect, but in my opinion, definitely worth a playthrough! It adds tons of new content and if you really want a challenge, you can go for hard difficulty (although I don't recommend it, it makes even killing scavengers and molerats a nightmare - I think they're given insane resistances). Regarding the money problem that Murk mentioned: yeah, lol. I actually made a rule for myself to NOT loot merchant NPC's, in order to just not get too rich. Pretend it's like in all the other games where you open their inventory and there's nothing there :D

Oh and regarding the lore: there's actually lots of conversations and books that explain what's going on. I also tried to make the story more cohesive and just more interesting overall.

Hi Murk,

Thanks for the kind words about the translation! I know there are still typos here and there and some out of place lines, but in time I hope to fix most of them. In my World of Gothic post I went into more detail on how some lines simply don't want to use my translation, so they're basically google translate. I haven't figured out how to fix this, but from my testing so far, less than 5% of lines are affected.

Regarding the NPC you mentioned won't talk to you: if you're referring to the smuggler leader, then you just have to keep doing more quests for them until the questline with him opens up (though I'm not actually sure if these guys in particular will let you "join them"). Do note that in this mod joining one of the new camps does not add you to a guild like the 3 main camps do. You can join them and play through their quest lines without having to worry that you block progression in the vanilla game or with one of the other new camps (from what I've seen so far, at least).

Jinn , the mod is definitely not perfect, but in my opinion, definitely worth a playthrough! It adds tons of new content and if you really want a challenge, you can go for hard difficulty (although I don't recommend it, it makes even killing scavengers and molerats a nightmare - I think they're given insane resistances). Regarding the money problem that Murk mentioned: yeah, lol. I actually made a rule for myself to NOT loot merchant NPC's, in order to just not get too rich. Pretend it's like in all the other games where you open their inventory and there's nothing there :D

Oh and regarding the lore: there's actually lots of conversations and books that explain what's going on. I also tried to make the story more cohesive and just more interesting overall.

Thank you very much for improving the translation. 12 years have passed since I played the mod for the first time and I was not expecting this mod could grab the attention nowadays. Well sadly I do not have the opportunity to try this translation for some time, because as I reported in this forums two years ago I played in the hard difficulty, and after spending some days reaching chapter 3 then the game was unplayable in the orc cemetery and there was nothing else to do:cry:. So I abandoned this mod due to frustration! ;) Now I am looking forward to the release of the "history of Khorinis" and the "Chronicles of Myrtana"
Oh! By the way the returning 2.0 mod has serious problems with the english translation! We need more people like you for a good translation! :P

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
Sencantor thanks for responding -- the part I got to was the smuggler leader telling me to set up the ore trade with the water mages, and the quest log says to talk to Cronos, but nothing pops up when I talk to him. Perhaps time has to pass/chapters must pass before things move. It's hard to tell given that I don't know who is/isn't a faction to join, but eh.

RE: the guilds -- joining the sect splinter group, it states that the swamp camp will view you as an enemy from now on. I didn't test joining then going to the swamp camp to see if they'll aggro, but may return to it and try.

Sencantor

Educated
Murk I joined the fanatics during my playthrough and as long as I don't wear their armour in the presence of Swamp Camp NPC's, nothing seems to have changed for me.
Regarding the Smugglers, I pulled a bit of a shenanigan: I took the package to the smugglers, Tangor congratulated me and gave me smuggler's armour, saying I was welcome among them at any time. Then I beat him up (xD), I took the package from him and gave it to Cronos. This set the quest as failed in my Log and the only other thing I can say to Tangor now is that I took the package to Cronos, which will make him hostile. However...are you sure that Tangor sent you to set up ore trade with the mages? I checked and there are no lines saying that. Tangor's final quest (that's how it's marked in the document) seems to be to go to the Old mine, obtain the ore from the merchant there and then just bring it to him. Did you pass this point?

theabraxusentity thank you as well! I might do more translations in the future, depending on how I have time to play the mods, learn them and then go through the same process that I did here.

HoboForEternity Yes, it's a fan made add-on to Gothic 1, similar to how Night of the Raven works for Gothic 2. I can't say it's very polished, but the core of it is good. It has lots of new quests, items, spells, camps etc. I think it's pretty good overall. There are no more patches coming, no. The team stopped working on the mod about 10 years ago I think. It's pretty big and finished, though.

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
Murk I joined the fanatics during my playthrough and as long as I don't wear their armour in the presence of Swamp Camp NPC's, nothing seems to have changed for me.
Regarding the Smugglers, I pulled a bit of a shenanigan: I took the package to the smugglers, Tangor congratulated me and gave me smuggler's armour, saying I was welcome among them at any time. Then I beat him up (xD), I took the package from him and gave it to Cronos. This set the quest as failed in my Log and the only other thing I can say to Tangor now is that I took the package to Cronos, which will make him hostile. However...are you sure that Tangor sent you to set up ore trade with the mages? I checked and there are no lines saying that. Tangor's final quest (that's how it's marked in the document) seems to be to go to the Old mine, obtain the ore from the merchant there and then just bring it to him. Did you pass this point?

Interesting, he sent me to the bandit camp where I ended up fighting/killing the bandits, went back to Tangor who then said I need to set up a new meeting with the water mages and my logbook says to go talk to Cronos. Before that I reloaded and tried a few different things -- if I talk to the bandits and don't escalate to a fight, I can go back to Tangor and he'll tell me to go kill them and offer to send the front-gate guard of the smugglers (I forget his name) with me to help.

Perhaps there's an item I failed to get and so it's not triggering things?

EDIT: RE mods, it really is impressive how much they made given the obscurity of Gothic's engine (same with the returning mod for Gothic 2, tbh).

Whether I end up loving/enjoying it is one thing, but the scope and effort is unquestionable.

Sencantor

Educated
Ahhh, it means that I bricked my questline then. I was still in act two when I did all this, so maybe it was too early for Tangor to send me to the water mages. Strange that I didn't find his lines about that part (although there very many and I didn't spend too much time looking through them now).

Did you talk to Ratford the hunter before killing the bandits? He was the ore courier for the bandits and that was the first thing Tangor said you should do (I followed that part of the quest).

Murk

Arcane
Ahhh, it means that I bricked my questline then. I was still in act two when I did all this, so maybe it was too early for Tangor to send me to the water mages. Strange that I didn't find his lines about that part (although there very many and I didn't spend too much time looking through them now).

Did you talk to Ratford the hunter before killing the bandits? He was the ore courier for the bandits and that was the first thing Tangor said you should do (I followed that part of the quest).

I did, his dialog is exhausted.

Here is a screenshot of my logbook:

pi7cTP3.png

And Cronos only offers to trade or increase mana (he never had any new dialog since I got the quest entry.)

l59OOxj.png

It's not huge, especially if the only thing is I get the smuggler armor out of it -- I can just cheat to get that if I really wanted it (though it is pretty decent looking as far as the custom content goes.)

Sencantor

Educated
Hm, I don't remember how I got this information, but some NPC told me I need to go to the Old Mine and find out which merchant is smuggling the ore out, so that's what I did. Here's how my log up to that point looks like. Also, did you complete Gilbert the hermit's quest? He gives you some useful info about the mine.
I'll update the log to no longer say you need to go straight to Cronos and talk to him. You can only do that after you've obtained the ore package (note that you need to be careful who you give the package to).

Sencantor

Educated
FYI I have just completed a playthrough with the new translation and I've fixed lots of typos, out of place dialogues, item names and descriptions (lots of them in the Ancients area). You can download the new version from the main thread: https://forum.worldofplayers.de/for...-Translation-Complete?p=26692895#post26692895

Be aware however that I've modified quest names as well (you can find the list in the main thread) and this will affect you if any one of those quests are in progress in your logbook (they will get stuck at their current state). Unless you have very few quests active / you've checked the list and none of your active quests match what I've changed, you probably shouldn't download the latest version.

Also Murk , I need to rectify something I said above: it seems that if you join the Mine Camp, your guild does get updated. I managed to bust my Fire Mage status like that :D. This does not seem to happen for the Fanatics, Smugglers or Orc Hunters however (whether they tell you you're one of them now or not).

Aholf Ditler

Novice
FYI I have just completed a playthrough with the new translation and I've fixed lots of typos, out of place dialogues, item names and descriptions (lots of them in the Ancients area). You can download the new version from the main thread: https://forum.worldofplayers.de/for...-Translation-Complete?p=26692895#post26692895

Be aware however that I've modified quest names as well (you can find the list in the main thread) and this will affect you if any one of those quests are in progress in your logbook (they will get stuck at their current state). Unless you have very few quests active / you've checked the list and none of your active quests match what I've changed, you probably shouldn't download the latest version.

Also Murk , I need to rectify something I said above: it seems that if you join the Mine Camp, your guild does get updated. I managed to bust my Fire Mage status like that :D. This does not seem to happen for the Fanatics, Smugglers or Orc Hunters however (whether they tell you you're one of them now or not).
ok i put the new fixed version in the main post

ggwp

Barely Literate

ok i put the new fixed version in the main post
Hey! can you please reupload the mod and the required files? Thanks in advance.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
hey guys! I was wondering, what is the status of the overhaul mods, i.e. the ones that completely overhaul the game into a "new" game? Are there any of those available in English? Thanks!

Also, without spoilers, can someone tell me more about this mod? Does it really change a lot, make a Gothic playthru pretty fresh with new stuff? Lots of quests and the like? How many hours of gameplay? Thanks!

Last edited:

Sencantor

Educated
hey guys! I was wondering, what is the status of the overhaul mods, i.e. the ones that completely overhaul the game into a "new" game? Are there any of those available in English? Thanks!

Also, without spoilers, can someone tell me more about this mod? Does it really change a lot, make a Gothic playthru pretty fresh with new stuff? Lots of quests and the like? How many hours of gameplay? Thanks!

Hey Fluent, the mod does change a lot, it adds new items, new factions (implicitly lots of new quests), blacksmithing, alchemy, items with special effects, new areas, scripted fights, lots of stuff :)
Hard to say how much this is all in all, but I'd say somewhere around 30-40 hours? Maybe more if you like to play things slow and be thorough. Definitely worth playing.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Hey Fluent, the mod does change a lot, it adds new items, new factions (implicitly lots of new quests), blacksmithing, alchemy, items with special effects, new areas, scripted fights, lots of stuff :)
Hard to say how much this is all in all, but I'd say somewhere around 30-40 hours? Maybe more if you like to play things slow and be thorough. Definitely worth playing.

That sounds really cool! I may give it a spin, not sure yet because I have many RPGs i want to play. But this is definitely up for consideration.

Is it true u can get very rich easily? Is there anything to counterbalance this? Also, i would want to play on Hard, is not being able to kill a skeleton on Hard more of a "u need a blunt weapon instead of a sword" type thing? I figure the game can't be so hard that powerful weapons do no damage on purpose unless there's another factor at work there. Thanks again for the info, Sencantor ! Cheers! :)

Sencantor

Educated
The way you get insanely rich in Gothic is by beating up all the NPC's and stealing from them (especially by beating up merchants after you sell them your stuff). The simple solution to this, which I also applied in my playthroughs, was that I did not loot merchants. If you want to be 100% ethical, you should probably not loot ore barons or other guys who have good items either. The diggers, shadows and all the other poor scrubs...well, it's just a pleasure to beat those guys and loot their cheese, apples and whatever else the poor buggers have on them (some say that you can even get stronger by eating lots of fruit ;) ).
Regarding Hard mode: it's not that sophisticated I'm afraid. It's more that some particular enemies have insane resistances, life and damage. It does indeed make the game hard in some areas even when you re as strong as you can get, but in a sort of unfun way. Just cranking up numbers doesn't make for more challenging content - just more tedious, like you suggested.
However, I do always play on Hard mode despite of this, because it's exciting when you actually are scared as all hell by a wolf chasing you even a few hours into the game and you feel every armour upgrade like it's a gift from god.
Besides, we all know one of the best part of Gothic is cheesing hard enemies by exploiting some weird bug, or finding that stupid spot on a rock where they can't get to you :D

Sencantor

Educated
Oh and I've never played an overhaul mode for Gothic, so don't have any ideas there.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Thanks Sencantor ! I do want to play on Hard too. I won't softlock myself later on will I? I am free to spend my Learning Points how I choose and all? I'm just wondering which to start a playthru on, Normal or Hard. I generally play on Hard for every RPG I play, so I think I will go that route. It is doable though right? Thanks again for the infomration! :)

Edit - Oh also. Do I need any other patches or anything for this? Community patch, etc.? I'm playing the Steam version if that matters. Thanks!

Last edited:

Sencantor

Educated
I'm glad to help, I hope people will be playing this game a hundred years from now :)

What do you mean softlock yourself? If you're asking if you can change the difficulty during the game - you can't. For every difficulty, you have a different option in the game launcher (if I remember correctly, trying to load a save from hard on normal won't work - you can test that if you want). I need to warn you though that lots of people say hard is not fun for them and I agree, you need to be a bit masochistic to play it. It's definitely imbalanced in favour of the monsters, so much so that in some areas you'll need to cheese things to a very frustrating degree. However, you can also always just use marvin to respec your points / get out of some impossible situation, if you really need to.

The installation instructions for my translation of the mod are on this page: https://forum.worldofplayers.de/for...ries-2-02-Custom-English-Translation-Complete.
You can also find them in the readme in the first link there.
The latest version of the polish mod is the second link in my post there (you'll need that as apparently the official page where I used to take the mod from from is no longer available).

You do need the community patch, gothic player kit and stuff like that, yes.
If you want a complete guide from scratch (how I did my installation, with all files included except for Gothic itself), use the third link in my post there (last time I checked in February it was good, I hope it still is). I do recommend also checking on google if none of the tool / patches in there haven't been updated in the meantime, because the community still does that from time to time.

Let me know if you run into trouble. Good luck!

Last edited:

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Thanks a lot Sencantor ! Questions...What do I do with the playerkit, etc., that comes in your total install folder? Also, which textures do u recommend in the optional textures folder? Are there screenshots of each? Thanks!

Sencantor

Educated
You just install everything there, in the marked order. I mentioned in the readme in the total install folder that I prefer the Thiel texture patch. If you want to see how the others look, find the mod pages via google, or just add the vdf's as described in the readme and check inside the game to see how stuff changes.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Everything installed and ready to go! I'm going to do an LP for it on youtube if you'd care to join or check it out, obviously u don't have to just letting u know. :) Can't wait to delve into Gothic again, for the 2nd time ever! (first time thru i beat it, a few years back, heh.)

Sencantor

Educated
Sure, drop the link here! Unfortunately I need to wake up in 6 hours so I'll be going to sleep real soon now, but I definitely want to see it :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom