Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic II: NotR - requesting build advice

Sjukob

Arcane
bloodlover
I have no idea if you know this , but jumping bacwards ( pressing S while holding a melee weapon ) will block any attack in front of you ( including beasts ) for the duration of the jump , with the exception of projectiles and dragon , golem blows .

I still don't understand how you can have troubles with controls , you press a button and action happens , no delay or lag , nothing , they are very responsive and straightforward , I wouldn't have told you anything if you were playing G1 , but the comtrols were much improved in the sequel . Also depending on your skills as a player and level/equipment you can successfuly fight up to 4 enemies at once , I thought people would appreciate that you can't just mindlessly go rambo in this game and enemy crowd actually feels like a crowd and will club you to death if you let them .

You definately should play first Gothic , it's somewhat different , but still pretty good .

bloodlover

Arcane
Oh I did not know that. I just jumped back whenever I was fighting beasts. One vs one it worked well especially after catching on with the enemy's pattern but with more enemies it was tougher. Not to mention that some low level enemies like goblins actually used the tactic of surrounding the character. It makes sense not to go rambo on the enemy but it's mostly not a mater of choice since the enemy attacks in pack if you mess up the pull. Like I said, things DID get easier later with the better weapon and armor but you are in rags and fight with random swords for a lot of the game. And even later you can get run over by a pack of orcs if you are not careful.

bloodlover

Arcane
Bump. Going to ask here in order to not make another thread:

1. Are hunting skills useful in G1? I made a shitload of cash in G2 with skinning so I figured I'd go with the same skill in G1 as well except here there are many options for animal parts and I wonder if they are all worth taking. I assume blacksmithing is just as good or maybe better but gathering parts from animals that you kill anyway during the game feels more natural than waiting for NPCs to restock their merchandise.

2. Skills are 1:1 ratio in G1 as far as I know? The same 1h fighter will be made, probably without magic. I was rather disappointed of the paladin runes from G2. I assume camps are more or less the same? Old Camp - Mercs, New Camp - Paladin, Swamp Sect - Mages.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Bump. Going to ask here in order to not make another thread:

1. Are hunting skills useful in G1? I made a shitload of cash in G2 with skinning so I figured I'd go with the same skill in G1 as well except here there are many options for animal parts and I wonder if they are all worth taking. I assume blacksmithing is just as good or maybe better but gathering parts from animals that you kill anyway during the game feels more natural than waiting for NPCs to restock their merchandise.

They're OK, it will net you a solid amount of gold. There are of course many alternative ways to make money (like lockpicking everything and knocking out people) but it's not like you're that strapped for skill points in G1. I usually just take every hunting skill, for some of the parts you have to buy books instead of NPC training you.

Unless I'm going senile, there is no blacksmith skill in the first Gothic. You can forge crude swords and sell them but that's it, no SPs required for it.

2. Skills are 1:1 ratio in G1 as far as I know? The same 1h fighter will be made, probably without magic. I was rather disappointed of the paladin runes from G2. I assume camps are more or less the same? Old Camp - Mercs, New Camp - Paladin, Swamp Sect - Mages.

Attributes are 1:1 ratio, weapon skills are different as you have 3 tiers (untrained, trained and master) and unlike G2 you always get full STR damage boost (there is no % to add full STR damage in melee). Also, unlike G2 DEX doesn't increase your ranged weapons damage, it just increases your chance to hit (which you can't actually see on character screen).

Sect Camp is for Fighter/Mage hybrid (you can only become Templar, not a Guru), If you want pure Mage you have to go Old Camp or New Camp, you can become a mage earlier if you join Old Camp.

T. Reich

Arcane
1. Skinning still good. Other things are still not. Dunno about blacksmithing, but IIRC, you don't need any skill to make basic crude blades, and those things alone will make you filthy rich, esp in the early game (G1 metagamers know what I'm talking about).
2. All combat skills are two-tiered, not per-point: to become advanced (analogy to G2's 30% skill), you'll pay 10sp for 1h/bow and 20sp for 2h/xbow. Second tier (analogy to 60% in G2) is 20sp for 1h/bow and 40sp for 2h/xbow.
In G1, 2h and xbows are strictly superior to 1h and bows: both in terms of skill power (2h and xbows get more $ crit than 1h and bows) and in terms of weapon progression (2h and xbows start appearing around chapter 3/4, they are immediately stronger than similar 1h/bows in terms of dmg/strreq ratio, and top tier 1h/bows offer significantly less max dmg than 2h/xbows).
The camps and character rank progression are entirely different in G1. All three camps allow you to focus on either magic or melee. Magic is mostly a late game choice. And you'll have enough SPs by the end of the game to make a strong fighter/mage hybrid anyway.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
1. Skinning still good. Other things are still not. Dunno about blacksmithing, but IIRC, you don't need any skill to make basic crude blades, and those things alone will make you filthy rich, esp in the early game (G1 metagamers know what I'm talking about).
2. All combat skills are two-tiered, not per-point: to become advanced (analogy to G2's 30% skill), you'll pay 10sp for 1h/bow and 20sp for 2h/xbow. Second tier (analogy to 60% in G2) is 20sp for 1h/bow and 40sp for 2h/xbow.
In G1, 2h and xbows are strictly superior to 1h and bows: both in terms of skill power (2h and xbows get more $ crit than 1h and bows) and in terms of weapon progression (2h and xbows start appearing around chapter 3/4, they are immediately stronger than similar 1h/bows in terms of dmg/strreq ratio, and top tier 1h/bows offer significantly less max dmg than 2h/xbows).
The camps and character rank progression are entirely different in G1. All three camps allow you to focus on either magic or melee. Magic is mostly a late game choice. And you'll have enough SPs by the end of the game to make a strong fighter/mage hybrid anyway.

Well, both 1H and Bows have the advantage of being faster which makes it easier to stunlock opponents with left-right swing with 1H and to interrupt ranged attackers with Bows . Also IIRC you can train Bows earlier, Crossbow training becomes available a bit later.

Last time I beat the game was with a 1H (until the very end for plot reasons) and Bow Mercenary and I found that combo to be pretty effective.

T. Reich

Arcane

Well, both 1H and Bows have the advantage of being faster which makes it easier to stunlock opponents with left-right swing with 1H and to interrupt ranged attackers with Bows . Also IIRC you can train Bows earlier, Crossbow training becomes available a bit later.

Last time I beat the game was with a 1H (until the very end for plot reasons) and Bow Mercenary and I found that combo to be pretty effective.

Let's face it, 2h is the endgame weapon of choice for a not-pure-caster because
Uriziel is 2h, and it's the best melee weapon by far.

It's true that 2h and xbows only become available in the 2nd half of the game, so investing at least 1 rank into both 1h and bow is very prudent and affordable, especially since you're not SP-starved like in G2NotR.
Plus, most of 2h teachers except one will refuse to teach you 2h unless you know at least 1 rank in 1h.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
I ended up playing a pure melee warrior for my first-time G1 playthrough and I ended up looting my first 2-hander from the New Camp plantation owner, whatshisface, while I was still in Chapter 2 or so (hadn't yet pledged allegiance to anyone). He wields a large scythe-like weapon which isn't particularly impressive (some one-handers outclassed it, purely stat-wise), but the bonus reach on it made the warrior arena in Old Camp a breeze. It's a decent option to hijack yourself a 2hander early.

bloodlover

Arcane
Found some guy in a cave just left of the New Camp that attacked me on sight. Killed him and got his weapon. There were other two guys that were there but they were just looking at us and smoking near a fire. I figured I'd be smart and steal from the Rice Lord since it was night but he attacked me so I kicked his ass and took his weapon.

I know killing NPC's has some implications but what about just knocking them and looting them? The only thing I noticed different after the Rice Lord incided is that one guard was holding is bow ready to attack on the dam but nothing else. All NPCs talk to me and act like nothing happened.

edit: I returned the next day and found the mentioned merc on the ground in front of Jarvis. Free loot, yey.

Last edited:

Revenant

Beating people up and looting them goes without repercussions of any kind in G1, as far as I can remember. Dealing the killing blow alienates the whole camp, though.

catfood

AGAIN
I'm replaying G2 NOTR and I want to try a Fire Mage this time. I'm currently almost done with chapter 1 and have 70 points to spare. I haven't put a single point into str/dex or weapon skills. Looking online people seem to recommend a dex build, but I wanna go for a 2-handed for staff use. Does anyone have any experience with such a build?

T. Reich

Arcane
Staves are shit melee weapons.
You will switch to real man's 2h weapons if you want to deal actual melee damage in later chapters.

In general, NotR has enough skill points so that you can major in one skill set (melee/ranged/magic) and have enough skillpoints to raise the secondary skill set to a reasonable level.
That means that you can do heavy 2h melee with ok magic, or strong magic with decent 2h melee.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
I'm replaying G2 NOTR and I want to try a Fire Mage this time. I'm currently almost done with chapter 1 and have 70 points to spare. I haven't put a single point into str/dex or weapon skills. Looking online people seem to recommend a dex build, but I wanna go for a 2-handed for staff use. Does anyone have any experience with such a build?
Playing mage is brutal. Staves are weak, no worth learning 2h only for them. All you need is the staff that gives you +30 mana or smth. Not bad choice would be going dex/1h beceause it would allow you to use Master sword at 65 dex, 120 dmg.
Going 1h for trash mobs and powerful magic for bigger mobs would be optimal build, pure mage playtrough is masochism.
I am not sure if you can upgrade Beliar's sword while being mage without changing it into rune, if you can then going 1h or 2h beliar would be good option too, as it doesnt need strength and focuses on magic crits.

Murk

Arcane
Nah, as mage it becomes a rune.

Master sword is good, though it may cap out in damage near end, though by then you should be able to rely on magic just fine when it does.

T. Reich

Arcane
pure mage playtrough is masochism.

You never used summons or something?
Or never completely clerared the old camp siege all by your own?

Pure mage playthrough is the easiest by far of all the pure playthroughs. And it's only slightly harder than a hybrid mage+melee/ranged playthrough because you don't have that midgame flexibility.

Protip:
Summon Goblin Skeleton is a circle 1 rune.
Create Skeleton is a circle 3 rune.

Also, Ice Block.

Last edited:

Jarmaro

Liturgist
You never used summons or something?
Or never completely clerared the old camp siege all by your own?

Pure mage playthrough is the easiest by far of all the pure playthroughs. And it's only slightly harder than a hybrid mage+melee/ranged playthrough because you don't have that midgame flexibility.

Protip:
Summon Goblin Skeleton is a circle 1 rune.
Create Skeleton is a circle 3 rune.
You think I don't know about it? I did it. I did mage playtroughs.
Noone cares you can fire/lightining rain everything eventually. Or summon a demon. The journey to that point is not worth it.
It's first 3 chapters that are insufferable. Spaming goblins is boring as hell.

catfood

AGAIN
25 hours in and I am finally level 13 and I'm done with chapter 1. What should I do next? Visit the Valley of Mines, or the expansion area?

catfood

AGAIN
Expansion Area.
It's the intended path afaik and feels the most natural.
I read somewhere that for a mage it is better to go to the valley of mines first to level up once or twice in order to get a couple of more spells before going to the expansion island. Is this true?

dr. one

Augur
25 hours in and I am finally level 13 and I'm done with chapter 1. What should I do next? Visit the Valley of Mines, or the expansion area?
I´d recommend unlocking the expansion area because AFAIR you can learn ice lance spell right afterwards, however I´d also recommend postponing the rest of the expansion content till as late as possible - along with the game´s first two chapters the expansion is IMO the best content there is in the game and you might want to spread out the quality a bit :).
At one point in chapter 3 you´ll be told to deal with the expansion so that the original main quest can continue and that´s exactly the time I´d recommend starting it proper.

catfood

AGAIN
I´d recommend unlocking the expansion area because AFAIR you can learn ice lance spell right afterwards, however I´d also recommend postponing the rest of the expansion content till as late as possible - along with the game´s first two chapters the expansion is IMO the best content there is in the game and you might want to spread out the quality a bit :).
At one point in chapter 3 you´ll be told to deal with the expansion so that the original main quest can continue and that´s exactly the time I´d recommend starting it proper.
Cool, thanks.

T. Reich

Arcane
Cool, thanks.

Don't listen to anyone and pick your own destination.

Both paths are viable and will each produce a rather different "feel" of the game.

Jharkendar -> Mine Valley is the easier path overall.
Mine Valley -> Jharkendar is more atmospheric.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom