Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic is not an RPG

lossantos

Educated
1- If we are going to call story-driven games with non-custom character as rpg, then we should also call Prince of Persia and God of War as RPG too.

2- There is a linear scenario in the game, your decisions don't effect shit other than the armor color. Such a game should fall into the Action category.

3- You cannot follow various methods while doing quests.

4- I'm not saying Gothic is a bad game.

Sykar

Arcane
ah-shit-here-we-go-again-ah-shit.gif

laclongquan

Arcane
1- If we are going to call story-driven games with non-custom character as rpg, then we should also call Prince of Persia and God of War as RPG too.

2- There is a linear scenario in the game, your decisions don't effect shit other than the armor color. Such a game should fall into the Action category.

OP want to troll Gothic fans?

Sadly for you, Gothic fans around here, while very loudmouth, is a super minority. A niche of a niche~

lossantos

Educated

OP want to troll Gothic fans?

Sadly for you, Gothic fans around here, while very loudmouth, is a super minority. A niche of a niche~

Bro gothic is in my top 5 list, why people don't know how to read, has social media really made people this stupid?

janior

Arcane
Patron

and you will never pass for a female

agris

Arcane
Patron
To your mind, what is the difference in assigning stats to a classless character before a game starts, than assigning them as the character develops? This seems like such a weird point. The Prisoner is almost the perfect tabula rasa for the player to develop however he want*

*within the archetype of thief, mage and fighter.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
And so a game with the most meaningfull C&C, satisfying progression systems, and at least 5 different ways to built your nameless hero into very different gameplay styles, all the while featuring one of the most immersive worlds, gets called not an rpg.

Is it enough with the definitionfaggotry or shall you not stop before every game except Fallout 1 is no longer an rpg?

Last edited:

Tihskael

Learned
Might not fit someone's definition of an RPG, but does some of the RPG shit better than most RPGs. I would argue the same for the Witcher series which is heavily inspired by the Gothic series itself.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I only just realized there is a remake coming of Gothic 1 and that there is a Gothic 4. Derp is me. I need to find the Gothic remake thread.

Still a better game experience than the open-world action games with barely character systems and/or semi-interactive movies playing themselves being sold as RPGs these days.

Coincidentally or not, despite me never finishing it, I spent far more time with Elex than the Twitcher, despite the former being worse written, acted -- and taking place in a far less interesting world. Reason being, it treated me with some respect as a player, rather than assuming I couldn't find my own shoes without having magic powers/witcher senses highlighting them to me at every step I took along the ride. But Best GOAT RPG EVAR, 10/10.

In this context, it makes sense though that Origins by the general public is seen as a "hardcore RPG" though. It’s Amazing That I Ever Finished My First Hardcore RPG (kotaku.com)

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
hen we should also call Prince of Persia and God of War as RPG too.

Yep. Because you can chose which faction you are and see the story from multiple angles, can pay people to teach you in prince of persia and gow /sarcasm

You cannot follow various methods while doing quests.

You can. In G2, there are like 9 ways to get access to the city

mondblut

Arcane
Is it enough with the definitionfaggotry or shall you not stop before every game except Fallout 1 Wizardry 7 is no longer an rpg?

I'm in!

The OP is not entirely wrong, Gothic is mostly fantasy GTA (minus vehicles).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom