Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Gothic: The shitstorm goes on!

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by serch, Jun 7, 2007.

1. serch Magister

serch
    Pluto 13 denies that all rights to future games in the Gothic universe are contractually granted to Jowood

link

^ Top  
  2. Red Russian Scholar

Red Russian
    Okay, so this Pluto 13 hands out "contractual rights" to game companies like JoWood, so they in turn can hand over the development of the game to Piranhna?

Since the actual details are classified or what evah, does this mean that JoWood got contractual rights to develope the Gothics until further notice from Pluto 13?

Sorry. I'm a little confused here. :(

^ Top  
  3. Section8 Erudite

Section8
    Well, as far as I know, Pluto 13 are a parent company to Piranha Bytes. So in effect, I see this action as being:

Bitch, we made the motherfucking Gothic, true. You published the games for us, but you ain't all up in that motherfucker. We still own the rights.

^ Top  
  4. Jinxed Liturgist

Jinxed
    Would you really want another Gothic game?

^ Top  
  5. Blacklung Arbiter

Blacklung
    The geological, topographical, theological pancake
    If it were set in the Gothic world, didn't have an ass ton of bugs upon release (and after patching), and let me "design" a character...Hell yes.

^ Top  
  6. MessiahMan Cipher Patron

MessiahMan
    Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Wow, maybe there IS a Jehosephat up there in the sky!

Shit yeah, I'd take another game in the Gothic series if PB is doing it. Why the hell not? Even if it sucks, there's still the off chance that it won't, and I'd take a gamble on that.

^ Top  
  7. Misanthrope Novice

Misanthrope
    Worst control scheme ever? Seriously Id love to see what the fuzz about Gothic is all about but I need a mod for all controls or something.

^ Top  
  8. MessiahMan Cipher Patron

MessiahMan
    Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    *Snicker* Oh man, do I ever agree with that. Gothic 2 fixed it up reasonably, though (added mouse clicks to be translated to sword swings, but it had to be set specially in options.) And the less said about Gothic 3's combat, the better.

Despite that, though, I'd still give Gothic 4 a slogging through...IF (and ONLY if) PB developed it.

^ Top  
  9. OsirisGod Scholar

OsirisGod
    Gothic 1 controls are for me the most briliant , used them in G2 , G3 sucked balls because of the diablo/oblivion bastard feel.
    I would like another gothic game if it was made with soul and without compromise to catter to a broader audience that knows only to push left click/right click , aka brain dead people or Oblivion fanboys.

^ Top  
  10. Kraszu Prophet

Kraszu
    Controls in gothic are fine, one of the best combat in action crpg it need some improvements but not in control.

I don't see haw controls could be problem to anybody. Inventory was better in g1 through then in g2 but in unlimited inventory also whit mouse you would not select what you want much faster as it scrolled whit keyboard anyway.

I use arrows to move and z/x to strafe attack/action whit ctrl+arrow, strafe + move to change position fast in combat, what is hard/bad about it?

^ Top  
  11. Misanthrope Novice

Misanthrope
    1) I only remember Gothic 2 ( 1 was too long ago and I tried too little )

2) Its a 3D engine is it not? Mouse + Keyboard scheme. It is a logical and accurate scheme with many variants to accommodate any combat or moves. The hard/bad thing about it is that there is already a better control scheme and there is no option to choose.

To me Gothic 2 felt as dumb as playing FPS games on a console.

^ Top  
  12. Elwro Arcane

Elwro
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    True! Keyboard only ftw. Worked great for me and was certainly better than the "l0l I can kill 100 enemies in melee because they'll wait for their turn of getting slaughtered" G3 system.

^ Top  
  13. Kraszu Prophet

Kraszu
    Actually G2 have mouse + keyboard controls by default.

The hard/bad thing about it is that there is already a better control scheme and there is no option to choose.[/quote]

You need mouse accuracy whit range weapon not whit sword, also you can't attack while moving whit sword so mechanics are completely diferent. I found it better to press right arrow + ctrl then left mouse button +d much easier to coordinate.

Well it is in G2. G1 controls or mouse + keyboard.

Compeering accuracy needed for cursor in fps to accuracy needed for turning in sword fight? :?

The best thing about Gothic fight through is that it is timed based, you don't have to act quick to fight good just in right time. The main problem whit Gothic fight is that it has no collision detection.

^ Top  
  14. Section8 Erudite

Section8
    I'd love a better Gothic 3, but honestly, I'd rather see what else Piranha Bytes have up their sleeves.

^ Top  
  15. Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron Sad Loser

Jasede
    Gothic 1 and 2 (set to classic) had great control schemes that make me wonder why the game wasn't ported to consoles in an effort to get more sales. Nothing would have had to be changed, the scheme was so ingenious that it required very few keystrokes for tons of actions. Very intuitive!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Claw Erudite Patron

Claw
    Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    At the risk of sounding like a broken record, Gothic was developed for a console.
    For reasons I am not entirely certain about, it was released on the PC instead. A developer once seemed to insinuate that they couldn't get it to run properly on the intended platform.

^ Top  
  17. serch Magister

serch
    I spotted this at RPG Watch, furthering the story:

RPG Watch

^ Top  
  18. SimpleComplexity Arbiter

SimpleComplexity
    No. Enough Fantasy-RPG´s already. :x

^ Top  
  19. Ander Vinz Scholar

Ander Vinz
    Does it really matter what will happen with Gothic franchise next? Story of nameless hero played out already. It's time for something different. And I've read rumours that PB is working on a new game right now. To think of it it's the only reasonable option for them left.

^ Top  
  20. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    PB won't work on it, because JoWood canceled their deal with them.

^ Top  
  21. Ander Vinz Scholar

Ander Vinz
    Re-read my post please and apply logic if it isn't inconvenient to you. It's not about another Gothic game.

^ Top  
  22. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Then I've interpreted it wrongly.
    Well, they making a new game is the most logical step for them. I hope they're going to find a pubisher. A good one, also.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.